Could not refute God's Bible Sabbath from Romans 14 and Galatians 4

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
if you were going to rewrite the Sabbath Commandment in actual scripture so it more perfectly fit that statement how would you write it?

Like this?

8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD (YHWH) your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

Would then "declare" that for all eternity after the cross in the "New Heavens and New Earth" of Revelation 21 that TWO regular cycles would be used for worship?. That from New Moon to New Moon "And From SABBATH to SABBATH shall ALL mankind come before Me to worship" Isaiah 66:23

Actually whatever is just "you or I saying or writing" is hardly worth the paper it is printed on... what matter is -- what did God say.
I take it that means anything n the Bible especially the prophets and the words of Jesus.

So here goes -

31 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord:

33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. Jer 31

20 Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you. LK 22

The word testament in Luke 22 is the Greek word for covenant.

bugkiller

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Romans 14 one man observes one day above another while another observes them all - speaking of the Leviticus 23 Bible-approved list of days... not at all speaking of the Galatians 4 fully-condemned pagan days.
Where does Gal 4 condemn pagan days?

bugkiller

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Indeed, why would you want to condemn anyone for following a set Saturday Sabbath?
So why do SDA condemn people not observing it?
Because they follow SOME of the letter/ written code, not the Holy Spirit.
But also, why has Christianity split into over 30,000 different denominations?
Because the flesh of man likes to believe he has a monopoly on following the truth, and everyone else needs to be where his, and his particular denominations beliefs are at.
Carnal thinking:
No doubt there have to be differences among you to show which of you have Gods approval
1cor11:19
Seems you nailed it with your own answer.

bugkiller

• Agree
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Where does Gal 4 condemn pagan days?

bugkiller

In the text of the first few verses in the chapter you are not quoting.

For example -

8 However at that time, when you did not know God, you were slaves to those which by nature are no gods. 9 But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how is it that you turn back again to the weak and worthless elemental things, to which you desire to be enslaved all over again? 10 You observe days and months and seasons and years. 11 I fear for you, that perhaps I have labored over you in vain.

The church of the Galatians is a church of gentiles that have converted from paganism to Christianity.

Christ speaking to a Samaritan in John 4 says "Salvation is of the Jews"

Paul in speaking to the Jews claims in the book of Acts - that his gospel is merely teaching exactly what the O.T. text predicted and is not in conflict with Judaism at all.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I have been kindly informed that this is not the place for debate. Please disregard my postings. Blessings to all
☦️

Hi - not sure what is behind that post ... but consider this

If your intent is to present your view of what the Bible says about the Ten Commandments, the Law of God, the Sabbath etc - this is the place.

If your intent is to simply isolate one of the Sabbath-keeping groups as if they were the only ones posting here - you might want to go to a forum dedicated to that one group to debate the point.

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
In the text of the first few verses in the chapter you are not quoting.

For example -

8 However at that time, when you did not know God, you were slaves to those which by nature are no gods. 9 But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how is it that you turn back again to the weak and worthless elemental things, to which you desire to be enslaved all over again? 10 You observe days and months and seasons and years. 11 I fear for you, that perhaps I have labored over you in vain.

The church of the Galatians is a church of gentiles that have converted from paganism to Christianity.

Christ speaking to a Samaritan in John 4 says "Salvation is of the Jews"

Paul in speaking to the Jews claims in the book of Acts - that his gospel is merely teaching exactly what the O.T. text predicted and is not in conflict with Judaism at all.
It appears to me Paul is talking to Jews in the beginning of the chapter and in the end of the chapter as well. So I want to know what "elemental things" are. Are they days? You did emphasize that.

bugkiller

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Seventh-day Adventists routinely teach that "Sunday worship" is unbiblical. They will point to the 4th commandment teaching of the sabbath to somehow indicate that the only day acceptable to worship God on is Saturday.

SDAs have camp meetings, and weeks of prayer and revivals that very often include worship services outside of Friday-evening and Saturday before sunset - as I am sure you know if you were one at one time.

Yet no where in scripture can an Adventist point to that indicates that worshipping God on Sunday is unbiblical.

Indeed - the Lev 23 annual Sabbaths could easily fall on a "week day 1" during the course of a given year. And I have already mentioned other examples where Adventists have no objection to a worship service on week-day-1 or 2, or 3, or 4 or ...

As I am sure you also are aware of..

BTW Nobody here argues that only Seventh-day Adventists ever post in favor of the Bible Sabbath. (Well... almost nobody)

Not only did those in the temple worship God daily which would necessarily include Sundays (cf. Hebrews 10:11), but even the early Christians broke bread and worshipped together every day

There is a thread here that compares Bible support for week-day-1 vs Bible Support for the Sabbath in NT and OT.

Dec 22, 2016 #1

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It appears to me Paul is talking to Jews in the beginning of the chapter and in the end of the chapter as well. So I want to know what "elemental things" are. Are they days? You did emphasize that.

bugkiller

Paul says they observe certain days - pagan days.

Paul says that as pagans in their former state - before they became Christians they worshiped nature, false gods - those things that are "not god at all".

"you turn back again to the weak and worthless elemental things,"

So that "back again" is back to paganism.

By contrast - Christ says this of Judaism "Salvation is of the Jews" John 4.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dedication

Aug 9, 2007
✟8,187.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
they follow SOME of the letter/ written code, not the Holy Spirit.

Wasn't it the Holy Spirit who was the inspiration behind the written word? Isn't He One with God Who spoke the commandments and wrote them with His own finger on stone?

Isn't He the one that is to ingrain those commands into our hearts and minds -- write them there and make them part of our very nature?
I guess it has always puzzled me why SOME Christians think its not important, to be "remembering" the day that God blessed and sanctified and asked us to "remember". As Christians we long to do God's will, don't we? He's the One Who saved us from the slavery of sin -- and asks us to remember Him in a special way on the seventh day. He's the One Who created us, and the call is sounded in Revelation 14 to worship Him who made all things. Yes, worship our Savior every day -- but even Christians realize they need a special day away from the rat race of life, to remember and worship in a special way. They choose the "resurrection day" which is the first day, but I can't find anything in scripture that tells us the first day is the day God blessed and sanctified and asked us to remember Him in a special way.

Upvote 0

Dedication

Aug 9, 2007
✟8,187.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Often Romans 14 and Galatians 4 are introduced as if they are deleting some part of God's Commandments... only to find out - they are not.

Agree -- they are not deleting God's commandments!
We can read Romans 14 from beginning to end and the word commandments or God's law is never mentioned. It's talking about " doubtful disputations".

What are doubtful disputations?
Surely no one would call God's commandments "doubtful disputations".

What I see is in Romans 14 is addressing an argument about specifying certain"days for fasting" and judging those who don't refrain from food those days, and also whether a Christian living in Gentile cities could buy meat at the market place knowing that a lot of the meat in the market place was offered to idols. 1 Corinthians 8:7-11 expounds on that problem more fully. Basically, if one thinks they are paying homage to an idol when they eat something that might have been offered to idols, they should not eat it, but for someone who doesn't worry whether or not it was offered to idols and simply thanks God for food to eat -- he isn't paying homage to an idol but is thanking God. HOWEVER, if his eating leads a weaker brother back into idolatry, it is still wrong for him to eat.

The chapter also teaches the principle that we shouldn't criticize fellow believers over "doubtful disputations". However, Paul does not teach Christians to ignore outright violation of God's commandments as we see in 1 Cor. 5.

• Winner
Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
True.

Another point is that Galatians 4 - condemns all observance of even ONE pagan holy day

8 But then, indeed, when you did not know God, you served those which by nature are not gods. 9 But now after you have known God, or rather are known by God, how is it that you turn again to the weak and beggarly elements, to which you desire again to be in bondage? 10 You observe days and months and seasons and years. 11 I am afraid for you, lest I have labored for you in vain.

While Romans 14 defends ALL the annual holy days of the Bible listed in Lev 23.

5 One person observes one day above another; another observes every day. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Wasn't it the Holy Spirit who was the inspiration behind the written word? Isn't He One with God Who spoke the commandments and wrote them with His own finger on stone?

Isn't He the one that is to ingrain those commands into our hearts and minds -- write them there and make them part of our very nature?
I guess it has always puzzled me why SOME Christians think its not important, to be "remembering" the day that God blessed and sanctified and asked us to "remember". As Christians we long to do God's will, don't we? He's the One Who saved us from the slavery of sin -- and asks us to remember Him in a special way on the seventh day. He's the One Who created us, and the call is sounded in Revelation 14 to worship Him who made all things. Yes, worship our Savior every day -- but even Christians realize they need a special day away from the rat race of life, to remember and worship in a special way. They choose the "resurrection day" which is the first day, but I can't find anything in scripture that tells us the first day is the day God blessed and sanctified and asked us to remember Him in a special way.
By their fruits you shall know them. We know that the Bible is easy to be understood if you follow the instruction given through the Holy Spirit. Desiring to know and please God is paramount to understanding truth.

Welcome to the forum, btw. We don't get a lot of activity in the Adventist forum anymore... most of us are in the trenches (General Theology, Controversial Theology)answering the questions of those that don't know the truth as yet. Staying in this sub group is a bit like an echo chamber... just hearing from those that already agree with you.

Upvote 0