leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
We have man-made models, equations and theories which postulate the idea that a thing can both exist and not exist. For example, the classic case is one where an "atom or photon can exist as a combination of multiple states corresponding to different possible outcomes".

The Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics "said that a quantum system remained in this superposition until it interacted with, or was observed by, the external world, at which time the superposition collapses into one or another of the possible definite states"

Could God not also fall into this kind of realm of 'existence'?

Perhaps God only exists when he is seen by an observer.

Yaaten
Yaaten
"Perhaps God only exists when He is seen by an observer", you say. No, this is impossible. If that were the case then God wouldn't be God after all, but something else entirely, something subject to the (purely physical) rules of quantum mechanics.
Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
We have man-made models, equations and theories which postulate the idea that a thing can both exist and not exist. For example, the classic case is one where an "atom or photon can exist as a combination of multiple states corresponding to different possible outcomes".

The Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics "said that a quantum system remained in this superposition until it interacted with, or was observed by, the external world, at which time the superposition collapses into one or another of the possible definite states"

It could be a working model. But it is not important to us. There are more important natures of God.

When you see a person, he exists. When you do not see him, he does not exist in relative to you, until some communication takes place. Same to God.

As a consequence, atheist does not communicate with God, so God does not exist to them.

Reactions: Natto
Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Obviously it's a logical fallacy that something can both exist and not exist.
Since God is the Original Cause of everything, He must exist for anything else to exist, like entities who might observe Him.

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
interferrance cancel things out so something exists. ive read in many metaphysics books that everything is an illusion. i think it means that we respond too slowly meaning the present already passed by when we think of it. like touching a hot stove, it takes time to signal the brain and then we pull back. its too late and we get burned.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Although quantum mechanics is weird, it is not quite that weird. An atom may be in a superposition where it simultaneously has components with different spin, but it is still an atom.

Virtual particles may not-exist, and then exist for a short time, and then not-exist again. But that is different from existing and not-existing simultaneously.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Seeing how flexibly we use the word "existing", anyway, I don´t think it lends itself to two value logic.
Excellent point.

The word "exist" has too many different flavors to be philosophically useful without elaboration.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Excellent point.

The word "exist" has too many different flavors to be philosophically useful without elaboration.
Thanks for understanding my point! :)
It gets ever more prevalent in my thinking, as it affects not only "existence" but a lot of other philosophical key-terms/concepts, as well.

Where I currently stand, I do not really see the problem in those terms/concepts, though, but in the traditional idea of philosophy that reality is best explored by (Aristotelean) two value logic/digital thinking (i.e. the idea that epistemological understanding is the result of a series of yes/no-questions and -answers).

Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

It's impossible for us humans to know that something does not exist because when it appears to go out of existence, it may just be that it moved into another realm that is inaccessible to us. You cannot know for sure.

However, God can know that something does not exist because he will have personally removed it from all possible realms of existence.

This is what he will do with evil. He's like a light shining in all possible darkness so as to remove the darkness from existence. Thank you Lord!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
No, of course not, as that would be a violation of the Law of Non-Contradiction.

Right, QM doesn't violate the Law of Non-Contradiction at all, as weird as it may be.

eudaimonia,

Mark

• Agree
Reactions: IWantGod
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

If God only exists when He is seen by an observer, then how do we account for the existence of an observer in the first place?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Although quantum mechanics is weird, it is not quite that weird. An atom may be in a superposition where it simultaneously has components with different spin, but it is still an atom.

Virtual particles may not-exist, and then exist for a short time, and then not-exist again. But that is different from existing and not-existing simultaneously.

We have a case in quantum mechanics where a thing can have both a property X and a property not-X at the same time.

The classic case would be Schrodinger's cat where the cat can theoretically have the property of being alive and not alive simultaneously until observation.

If we have come up with an ontological framework such as this for QM, then why would/should a god-concept be limited to a binary yes/no with regards to this god's properties?

And I guess a secondary question here is whether 'existence' is a property of a thing.

Upvote 0

leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
No, of course not, as that would be a violation of the Law of Non-Contradiction.

Right, QM doesn't violate the Law of Non-Contradiction at all, as weird as it may be.

eudaimonia,

Mark

In QM, a thing can have both a property X and property ~X until it is observed. QM gets around the law of non-contradiction via the italicized portion of the previous sentence. So for example, in the double slit experiment, you have two slits, A and B. If a photon goes through slit B, then it is not going through slit A. If you don't observe the slits it seems that individual atoms are passing through both slits at the same time (both A and ~A). However, if you observe the slits, then the individual atoms are forced to pass through only one slit (either A or ~A).

So the 'until it is observed' is the key component in ensuring that QM does not violate the law of contradiction.

In the same way, God could have the property of existence and not existence until God is observed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Seeing how flexibly we use the word "existing", anyway, I don´t think it lends itself to two value logic.

Excellent point.

I think you guys are out-philosophizing me. Can you elaborate on this point?

Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In QM, a thing can have both a property X and property ~X until it is observed. QM gets around the law of non-contradiction via the italicized portion of the previous sentence. So for example, in the double slit experiment, you have two slits, A and B. If a photon goes through slit B, then it is not going through slit A. If you don't observe the slits it seems that individual atoms are passing through both slits at the same time (both A and ~A). However, if you observe the slits, then the individual atoms are forced to pass through only one slit (either A or ~A).

So the 'until it is observed' is the key component in ensuring that QM does not violate the law of contradiction.

In the same way, God could have the property of existence and not existence until God is observed.

If a photon is passing through both slits before observation then this means the photon exists in at least two places simultaniously. It does not mean the photon can both exist and not exist at the same time.

God can exist in multiple places simultaniously, but He is One being to the observer. It's not that he both exists and does not exist simultaniously.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
We have a case in quantum mechanics where a thing can have both a property X and a property not-X at the same time.

The classic case would be Schrodinger's cat where the cat can theoretically have the property of being alive and not alive simultaneously until observation.

The existence of the cat is not in question. The state of the cat is indeterminate.

And I guess a secondary question here is whether 'existence' is a property of a thing.

It is, but not in any sense that would be relevant to the question at hand. If god were a virtual particle, then sometimes he would exist and sometimes he wouldn't, but this is not the same as both existing and not-existing.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
In QM, a thing can have both a property X and property ~X until it is observed.

QM can be modeled mathematically without contradiction. The double-slit experiment doesn't mean that A and ~A are true at the same time and in the same respect, because it is A that has those weird QM properties.

If we want to ditch the Law of Non-Contradiction, then your argument is also wrong. :p

So, how did this existing/non-existing God create anything until an observer (that didn't exist yet) collapse his wave function?

eudaimonia,

Mark

Last edited:
Reactions: Arsenios
Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I think you guys are out-philosophizing me. Can you elaborate on this point?
There are ways we naturally accept something as "being there" or "existing" that - if applied consistently - would mean we also have to admit that all Gods exist, too. E.g. concepts, thoughts, feelings, abstractions.

Upvote 0