the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,620.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I was doing some study on James 4:7.

It says: "Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.".

The "devil" in Greek in that verse is: διαβόλῳ or diabolo.

In Thayer definition:
1) prone to slander, slanderous, accusing falsely
1a) a calumniator, false accuser, slanderer
2) metaphorically applied to a man who, by opposing the cause of God, may be said to act the part of the devil or to side with him
Part of Speech: adjective
Citing in TDNT: 2:72, 150

In Strong defintion:
From G1225; a traducer; specifically Satan (compare [H7854]): - false accuser, devil, slanderer.

Any of these definitions could also mean a person, is it not?

Also "resist" ἀντίστητε in Greek means to oppose, stand against, resist in Strongs.

Also that Jesus at one time called Peter "Satan" and told some of the Jews that their father is the "devil".

While Jesus submitted to God, He did oppose and stood up against the religious authorities in confirmation of James 4:7.

In other applications, this could mean a more extreme approach - I'm talking about self-defense and even active opposition of evil. Don't think that Jesus didn't do such thing. Remember the instance the angry crowd tried to push Jesus off a cliff to kill Him. Jesus slipped among them unseen. Obvious, there's something supernatural going on in there and it wasn't time for Jesus to die yet.

And then when Jesus violently drove off the merchants off the temple....

It would seem in context of James 4:7. the "devil" may include people.

And how do you make an evil person who's going to do evil to you flee from you?? Well obviously, you have to bare some teeth, even fight them off if necessary!

• Agree
Reactions: DennisTate

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

It says: "Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.".

In Thayer definition:
2) metaphorically applied to a man who, by opposing the cause of God, may be said to act the part of the devil or to side with him

In Strong defintion:
From G1225; a traducer; specifically Satan (compare [H7854]): - false accuser, devil, slanderer.

Also "resist" ἀντίστητε in Greek means to oppose, stand against, resist in Strongs.

Also that Jesus at one time called Peter "Satan" and told some of the Jews that their father is the "devil".

While Jesus submitted to God, He did oppose and stood up against the religious authorities in confirmation of James 4:7.

In other applications, this could mean a more extreme approach - I'm talking about self-defense and even active opposition of evil. Don't think that Jesus didn't do such thing. Remember the instance the angry crowd tried to push Jesus off a cliff to kill Him. Jesus slipped among them unseen. Obvious, there's something supernatural going on in there and it wasn't time for Jesus to die yet.

And how do you make an evil person who's going to do evil to you flee from you?? Well obviously, you have to bare some teeth, even fight them off if necessary!

Could be. After all, God was in control of all good and evil in the Old Testament, the appearance of a devil didn't come around until the New Testament era. There's even two telling dog the story where David is moved to take a census. The Old Testament says it was God, while the New Testament says it was Satan.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,620.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Could be. After all, God was in control of all good and evil in the Old Testament, the appearance of a devil didn't come around until the New Testament era. There's even two telling dog the story where David is moved to take a census. The Old Testament says it was God, while the New Testament says it was Satan.

Yea, the lines seemed to have blurred in the New Testament and it would seem to mean anyone or anything that is doing evil or opposing God can be called "devil"

In John 8, the Jews were discussing about who their ancestral fathers are and claiming Abraham to be their father. Abraham is a person. But Jesus said their father is the devil. Now this could be or likely to be figurative/metaphorical.

But if Abraham is your father, then you belong to mankind. But if your father is the devil, well, technically, someone may call you "devil" right?

The Old Testament says it was God,

The Old Testament of the Bible is mostly Jewish (Judaic) content....

It's intriguing when Jesus told the Jews (Judaists who were formerly Pharisee) that their father is the devil in John 8.

Anyway, it's just a thought.

Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

In Thayer definition:

In Strong defintion:

Satan, the devil was literally there when Christ makes that statement to Peter. The Devil is real - a real being. He is not omnipresent. He is only one place at a time. In Job 1 and 2 the devil comes to "the meeting" and God says "where do you come from?" - the devil says "from Earth".

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,620.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Satan, the devil was literally there when Christ makes that statement to Peter. The Devil is real - a real being. He is not omnipresent. He is only one place at a time. In Job 1 and 2 the devil comes to "the meeting" and God says "where do you come from?" - the devil says "from Earth".

I think you mean an evil spirit and if they are real? I agree with you there. I have encountered evil spirits before. The ones that can cause paranormal (supernatural) phenomenon.

But evil spirits or demons is a different word in Greek (δαιμόνια) and is translated as false gods or simply evil spirits.

"Devil" or "Diabolo" on the other hand, often means "slanderer" or "false accuser" and in the case of Peter, opposing God (or His Will).

Is not specifically mentioned as a spirit or heavenly being and it seem it can be used to refer to a person. Many of the enemies of Christ slandered Him. And for that, He called them "sons of the devil", technically (although in John 8 Jesus said their father is the devil is the same thing)

I think it can be used to refer to either a person or an evil spirit (demon) like the word "satan". But the word "demon" cannot be refered to as a person because a person is not 100% spirit being.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If the devil can only be in one place at a time, how come there are millions of Christians around the world stating, at any given time, that the devil made them do something or is trying to get them to do something?

• Agree
Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I happen to believe the Devil to be my carnal mind. It tells me, sometimes, that I cant do things that God says a can, Tells me my cant go places God tells me to go, reminds me that I dont have the money in the bank when God tells me the House is mine.....Tells me Im getting sick when God says I AM healed. etc..

It is emnity against God. Once I put it under subjection of the holy Spirit I can then ride it into the promise land.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If the devil can only be in one place at a time, how come there are millions of Christians around the world stating, at any given time, that the devil made them do something or is trying to get them to do something?

Lucifer convinced a third of the angels in heaven to join him in rebellion against God -- his name is now "Satan" - he is "the devil" and his fallen angel comrades are his fellow devils.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I happen to believe the Devil to be my carnal mind. .

Was it "Christ's carnal mind" that tempts him in Matt 4 - and carries him up to high mountain and to pinnacle of the temple?

Is it "God's carnal mind" that debates him in Job 1 and 2 in front of the entire council - regarding God's claims about Job?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Was it "Christ's carnal mind" that tempts him in Matt 4 - and carries him up to high mountain and to pinnacle of the temple?
Do you suppose that there is a separate being that was powerful enough to take God to all those places?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Do you suppose that there is a separate being that was powerful enough to take God to all those places?

Christ was in human form in Matt 4 -- and in Matt 27 in human form - other humans crucify Christ and kill him.

Do you think that humans are powerful enough to kill God?

On the cross Christ said "I thirst" - do you think that God gets thirsty?j

The "incarnation" was real according to Phil 2. and thus mere men could crucify Christ, and Christ could get thirsty, and the devil could take Christ up to a high mountain show him all the cities of the world and offer him the world in exchange for Christ bowing down to Satan.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Lucifer convinced a third of the angels in heaven to join him in rebellion against God -- his name is now "Satan" - he is "the devil" and his fallen angel comrades are his fellow devils.

Lucifer was never Satan, just an arrogant Babylonian king and that's all. There is nothing about Satan taking a third of the Angels with him either.

• Agree
Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christ was in human form in Matt 4 -- and in Matt 27 in human form - other humans crucify Christ and kill him.

Do you think that humans are powerful enough to kill God?

On the cross Christ said "I thirst" - do you think that God gets thirsty?j

The "incarnation" was real according to Phil 2. and thus mere men could crucify Christ, and Christ could get thirsty, and the devil could take Christ up to a high mountain show him all the cities of the world and offer him the world in exchange for Christ bowing down to Satan.
No man killed Jesus, He has the power to give His life and take it up again. I dont see your point. You are saying that Christ was in the flesh.......So why cant He of had a Carnal mind and the mind of Christ? He said that His spirit was willing yet the flesh weak. Which mind was it that asked for the cup to be passed from him?

I think this is an issue with accountability.......we say so fast that we send ourselves to hell yet, when it come to sin or non-positive thoughts....oh the devil made me do it....

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No man killed Jesus, He has the power to give His life and take it up again.

And "the Bible said" --

Acts 2
2 “Men of Israel, listen to these words: Jesus the Nazarene, a man attested to you by God with miracles and wonders and signs which God performed through Him in your midst, just as you yourselves know— 23 this Man, delivered over by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of godless men and put Him to death.

Acts 3
14 But you disowned the Holy and Righteous One and asked for a murderer to be granted to you, 15 but put to death the Prince of life, the one whom God raised from the dead, a fact to which we are witnesses.

Acts 4
“Rulers and elders of the people, 9 if we are on trial today for a benefit done to a sick man, as to how this man has been made well, 10 let it be known to all of you and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead—by this name this man stands here before you in good health

Acts 5
29 But Peter and the apostles answered, “We must obey God rather than men. 30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom you had put to death by hanging Him on a cross. 31 He is the one whom God exalted to His right hand as a Prince and a Savior,

Matt 16
21 From that time Jesus began to show His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised up on the third day.

I dont see your point. You are saying that Christ was in the flesh.......So why cant He of had a Carnal mind and the mind of Christ?

The devil "had NOTHING in Christ" -- not one thing.
John 14
29 Now I have told you before it happens, so that when it happens, you may believe. 30 I will not speak much more with you, for the ruler of the world is coming, and he has nothing in Me;

He said that His spirit was willing yet the flesh weak.

Jesus never said His spirit was willing but His flesh was weak.

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And "the Bible said" --

Acts 2
2 “Men of Israel, listen to these words: Jesus the Nazarene, a man attested to you by God with miracles and wonders and signs which God performed through Him in your midst, just as you yourselves know— 23 this Man, delivered over by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of godless men and put Him to death.

Acts 3
14 But you disowned the Holy and Righteous One and asked for a murderer to be granted to you, 15 but put to death the Prince of life, the one whom God raised from the dead, a fact to which we are witnesses.

Acts 4
“Rulers and elders of the people, 9 if we are on trial today for a benefit done to a sick man, as to how this man has been made well, 10 let it be known to all of you and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead—by this name this man stands here before you in good health

Acts 5
29 But Peter and the apostles answered, “We must obey God rather than men. 30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom you had put to death by hanging Him on a cross. 31 He is the one whom God exalted to His right hand as a Prince and a Savior,

Matt 16
21 From that time Jesus began to show His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised up on the third day.

The devil "had NOTHING in Christ" -- not one thing.
John 14
29 Now I have told you before it happens, so that when it happens, you may believe. 30 I will not speak much more with you, for the ruler of the world is coming, and he has nothing in Me;

Jesus never said His spirit was willing but His flesh was weak.

in Christ,

Bob
Lol. Ok

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Lucifer was never Satan,

Lucifer "became" Satan as we see in Isaiah 14.

Isaiah 14 (NKJV)
The Fall of Lucifer
12 “How you are fallen from heaven,
O Lucifer
, son of the morning!
How you are cut down to the ground,
You who weakened the nations!
13 For you have said in your heart:
‘I will ascend into heaven,
I will exalt my throne above the stars of God;
I will also sit on the mount of the congregation
On the farthest sides of the north;
14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds,
I will be like the Most High.’
15 Yet you shall be brought down to Sheol,
To the lowest depths of the Pit.

16 “Those who see you will gaze at you,
And consider you, saying:
Is this the man who made the earth tremble,
Who shook kingdoms,
17 Who made the world as a wilderness
And destroyed its cities,
Who did not open the house of his prisoners?’

18 “All the kings of the nations,
All of them, sleep in glory,
Everyone in his own house;
19 But you are cast out of your grave
Like an abominable branch,
Like the garment of those who are slain,
Thrust through with a sword,
Who go down to the stones of the pit,
Like a corpse trodden underfoot.
20 You will not be joined with them in burial,
Because you have destroyed your land
And slain your people.
The brood of evildoers shall never be named.

Ezek 28
You were the seal of perfection,
Full of wisdom and perfect in beauty.
13 You were in Eden, the garden of God;
Every precious stone was your covering:
The sardius, topaz, and diamond,
Beryl, onyx, and jasper,
Sapphire, turquoise, and emerald with gold.
The workmanship of your timbrels and pipes
Was prepared for you on the day you were created.

14 “You were the anointed cherub who covers;
I established you;
You were on the holy mountain of God;
You walked back and forth in the midst of fiery stones.
15 You were perfect in your ways from the day you were created,
Till iniquity was found in you.

16 “By the abundance of your trading
You became filled with violence within,
And you sinned;
Therefore I cast you as a profane thing
Out of the mountain of God;

And I destroyed you, O covering cherub,
From the midst of the fiery stones.

17 “Your heart was lifted up because of your beauty;
You corrupted your wisdom for the sake of your splendor;
I cast you to the ground,
I laid you before kings,
That they might gaze at you.

18 “You defiled your sanctuaries
By the multitude of your iniquities,
By the iniquity of your trading;
Therefore I brought fire from your midst;
It devoured you,

And I turned you to ashes upon the earth
In the sight of all who saw you.
19 All who knew you among the peoples are astonished at you;
You have become a horror,
And shall be no more forever.”’

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Christ was fully human - fully God -

Satan tries to tempt Christ in Matt 4 to use His "God powers" to turn stone into bread. Christ refuses - not because He does not have the power "as God" but because His mission was not to come to earth and hammer everything around Him with "God power" to solve all His problems. Rather to show and example of complete submission to the will of the Father - to lead by example.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,620.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

I think both types of "devils" exist. A legion of evil spirits and also evil persons.

Because in Greek, devil and demon are different words with different meanings. A demon is explicitly defined as a spirit (that is evil or usurping God). Devil on the other hand isn't mentioned as a spirit but a quality which could exist in either person or a spirit.

A very good example of someone resisting the devil (which may include people) is Jesus Himself!

To resist - oppose, stand up against. Jesus did this against His Jewish adversaries and especially to merchants who were selling stuff at the temple, sometimes, violently.

That is a vastly different Christianity than what we have today. Today, we practice tolerance of evil instead of opposing it.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I think both types of "devils" exist. A legion of evil spirits and also evil persons.

No doubt both exist. But you don't see the Bible refer to people as demons or devils.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Lucifer "became" Satan as we see in Isaiah 14.

Isaiah 14 (NKJV)
The Fall of Lucifer
12 “How you are fallen from heaven,
O Lucifer
, son of the morning!
How you are cut down to the ground,
You who weakened the nations!
13 For you have said in your heart:
‘I will ascend into heaven,
I will exalt my throne above the stars of God;
I will also sit on the mount of the congregation
On the farthest sides of the north;
14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds,
I will be like the Most High.’
15 Yet you shall be brought down to Sheol,
To the lowest depths of the Pit.

16 “Those who see you will gaze at you,
And consider you, saying:
Is this the man who made the earth tremble,
Who shook kingdoms,
17 Who made the world as a wilderness
And destroyed its cities,
Who did not open the house of his prisoners?’

18 “All the kings of the nations,
All of them, sleep in glory,
Everyone in his own house;
19 But you are cast out of your grave
Like an abominable branch,
Like the garment of those who are slain,
Thrust through with a sword,
Who go down to the stones of the pit,
Like a corpse trodden underfoot.
20 You will not be joined with them in burial,
Because you have destroyed your land
And slain your people.
The brood of evildoers shall never be named.

Ezek 28
You were the seal of perfection,
Full of wisdom and perfect in beauty.
13 You were in Eden, the garden of God;
Every precious stone was your covering:
The sardius, topaz, and diamond,
Beryl, onyx, and jasper,
Sapphire, turquoise, and emerald with gold.
The workmanship of your timbrels and pipes
Was prepared for you on the day you were created.

14 “You were the anointed cherub who covers;
I established you;
You were on the holy mountain of God;
You walked back and forth in the midst of fiery stones.
15 You were perfect in your ways from the day you were created,
Till iniquity was found in you

16 “By the abundance of your trading
You became filled with violence within,
And you sinned;
Therefore I cast you as a profane thing
Out of the mountain of God;

And I destroyed you, O covering cherub,
From the midst of the fiery stones.

17 “Your heart was lifted up because of your beauty;
You corrupted your wisdom for the sake of your splendor;
I cast you to the ground,
I laid you before kings,
That they might gaze at you.

18 “You defiled your sanctuaries
By the multitude of your iniquities,
By the iniquity of your trading;
Therefore I brought fire from your midst;
It devoured you,

And I turned you to ashes upon the earth
In the sight of all who saw you.
19 All who knew you among the peoples are astonished at you;
You have become a horror,
And shall be no more forever.”’

Is that a Revelation to the battle in Gog and Magog?

Upvote 0