Could Biden's election be a plus for the U.S. Catholic Church?

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I know that many or even most of you were not pleased with Biden's victory and I understand why. For what it is worth, I have voted Third Party from 2000-2020, as I am fed up with both major parties. Still, it came to me today that since President Biden is described as a devout Catholic and he goes to Mass regularly, the Catholic Church will now receive a lot more visibility in the American media. Could this lead to more interest in the Catholic Church in the U.S. and possibly an either an uptick in conversions and/or an increase in lapsed Catholics coming back home?

Reactions: public hermit

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟573,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know that many or even most of you were not pleased with Biden's victory and I understand why. For what it is worth, I have voted Third Party from 2000-2020, as I am fed up with both major parties. Still, it came to me today that since President Biden is described as a devout Catholic and he goes to Mass regularly, the Catholic Church will now receive a lot more visibility in the American media. Could this lead to more interest in the Catholic Church in the U.S. and possibly an either an uptick in conversions and/or an increase in lapsed Catholics coming back home?
Here's the thing. Biden went from a young Senator that supported the pro-life stance of the Catholic Church to the most pro-abortion President we have had. If anything, Catholics in the U.S. will look at his example and decide that it is fine to be a cafeteria Catholic that picks and chooses their own stances on issues over the Church's teaching. So I don't know of many devout Catholics that would elect him as an example of the Catholic Church.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Here's the thing. Biden went from a young Senator that supported the pro-life stance of the Catholic Church to the most pro-abortion President we have had. If anything, Catholics in the U.S. will look at his example and decide that it is fine to be a cafeteria Catholic that picks and chooses their own stances on issues over the Church's teaching. So I don't know of many devout Catholics that would elect him as an example of the Catholic Church.
I never thought of that possibility.

• Friendly
Reactions: Dave G.
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I think the Trump presidency has been bad for evangelicals. And that because evangelicals supported him and that support made them look bad. With Biden, I think it will end up showing how one can be Catholic in name only. Not a great thing.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I never thought of that possibility.
Biden once upon a time appeared to be a good Catholic. He's slid a long way from that. He would have been great publicity 30 years ago.

Reactions: Dave G.
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The problem is, he is giving a false presentation of the faith on key issues.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Any time the world and world views start defining churches it may look good in a world view perspective and it might even fill pews but best fits God wanting to spew them out of His mouth from the spiritual sense, Revelation 3:16. The church is to reflect and influence the world not the other way around. We call people out of sin not into it !

Biden puts on a good church front, I mean they say he really does. But the thing is he doesn't vote it, he doesn't rule by it so you could say he doesn't live to that same high standard, actually not even close. Look at all the spiritual losers he picked ( that is to say lost in the spiritual sense, pro everything against God's will and radicals even). And by the way, scripture doesn't compromise, it means what it say. Not that any of us is perfect mind you, to include myself. But he is living double sided in the faith department from what I read and see. Now that may appeal to some folks out there but it doesn't strengthen anyone's position before the eyes of God and will drag the church down in the judgement of the churches in Rev 2 and 3........ Course that's all my opinion. And Joe may turn around, his party won't but he personally might.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian

The media will never give good press to the church unless it is with church dissidents.

Upvote 0