Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know a church that I could probably play harmonica in, I've been playing by sheet music 20 years, I know how to bend notes, transpose, but I can't seem to learn to play by ear, I know a little music theory, but I can't memorize the songs their playing quick enough to play in church.

Paul G West Sr

Jan 29, 2019
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
✟17,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know a church that I could probably play harmonica in, I've been playing by sheet music 20 years, I know how to bend notes, transpose, but I can't seem to learn to play by ear, I know a little music theory, but I can't memorize the songs their playing quick enough to play in church.
1. Learn to play by blowing & sucking air through the harmonica until you hear the note that you want.
2. Learn music by using you cell phone to record and take it home. Listen to it over and over until you know the melody, then do number one.
3. Most churches play the same songs over and over for 6 months, at least.
4. bend notes by blowing and sucking too hard.

That's all I got!

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Learn to sing Solfege.

If you ever heard the "Do-Re-Mi" song that was done in the movie Sound of Music, then those sung syllables are the notes of a Major scale.

Do-Re-Mi-Fa-Sol-La-Ti-Do
C - D - E- F - G - A - B - C

Once you learn to sing those notes (humming them is OK), then with practice your inner ear will reveal their intervals. For example, sing Do, Re, Mi, and then sing Do to Mi. That an Interval of a Major 3rd. If you can learn to sing the Intervals in Solfege, then with practice (humming) you can pick out simple melodies and thus many tunes.

Reactions: disciple1
Upvote 0