Could ANY conservative President not be hated? Thanks Trump...

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps you've forgotten that the Great Recession started under GWB's watch with the Housing Crash.

I haven't. But it is fascinating to me how Obama devotees blithely dismiss the most obvious fact here, which is that Obama was elected, in part, on the promise of doing something about it...and he then created, by his own bumbling, what we call the Great Recession. Any other president would be universally denounced as a terrible do-nothing under these circumstances, but not our very own "Messiah."

That is to say that it is called the Great Recession because of its longevity. He failed completely to do anything to get us out of the recession and, in fact, made things worse.

Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I haven't. But it is fascinating to me how Obama devotees blithely dismiss the most obvious fact here, which is that Obama was elected, in part, on the promise of doing something about it...and he then created, by his own bumbling, what we call the Great Recession. Any other president would be universally denounced as a terrible do-nothing under these circumstances, but not our very own "Messiah."

That is to say that it is called the Great Recession because of its longevity. He failed completely to do anything to get us out of the recession and, in fact, made things worse.

Except that we got out of the recession in 2015.

EDIT: my mistake, 2013. If you want to be obsessively technical 2010.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, 2010 is when the slow and steady recovery began.
The slowest recovery in American history. That actually is the point with calling it the "Great Recession."

The average annual GDPs:

Johnson (1964-68), 5.3%
Kennedy (1961-63), 4.3%
Clinton (1993-2000), 3.9%
Reagan (1981-88), 3.5%
Carter (1977-80), 3.3%
Eisenhower (1953-60), 3.0%
Nixon (1969-74), 2.8%
Ford (1975-76), 2.6%
G. H. W. Bush (1989-92), 2.3%
G. W. Bush (2001-08), 2.1%
Truman (1946-52), 1.7%
Obama (2009-15), 1.5%

Plus, Obama"s best year was 2015, which puts to rest the claim that any
"slow and steady recovery " began under Obama in 2010.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
IMHO, those who believe that the Great Recession didn't begin under Bush are in denial.

Bush and Obama did well in their actions in reacting to the recession (caused by both party's politicians). Of course, for you, they didn't. Their plan was almost seamless through the transition.

We have done very, very well in the one year since Trump's election, and I expect this to continue. However, believing that the economy didn't do well under Obama is also denial.
======
Of course, one could point to the lack of wage growth, the increase of the wage gap and increases in automation. Of course, these trends are 30 years old.
======
AS AN ASIDE, we face inflation unless Trump allows many more immigrants to come into the country. Skilled workers have essentially ZERO unemployment.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

The Great Recession that started before he was elected? Care to explain how he did something prior to his election? Was he secretly President Bush?

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The slowest recovery in American history. That actually is the point with calling it the "Great Recession."

The "Great Recession" is the label for the recession, not the recovery.

I will give my very personal view.

We were in the greatest financial crisis since 1929. Bush, Obama and the Fed handled it extremely well. I was greatly afraid of inflation and of depression. It didn't happen. Yes, we had a very slow, careful, and very LONG recovery. However, the market and corporations were doing fine when Obama left, and the trends were fine. For me, the key is that the market and jobs came back WITHOUT INFLATION OR DEFLATION. In normal cycles, we would have more growth earlier, much inflation, and we'd be in a recession now. We have been given a chance for true change, and a continuing very long recovery, setting record after record. But, we need the workers.

There was one HUGE problem: Congress. The stimulus package couldn't be passed without a huge amount of pork. Much money was wasted rather than being spent on infrastructure. And yes, Obama's ability to lead Congress was about as bad as Trump's.

• Agree
Reactions: Radicchio
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The "Great Recession" is the label for the recession, not the recovery.
That is correct. And that was my point. There wasn't any recovery.

Obama owns the Great Recession, which is called by that title because he kept us in recession for longer than any other president. He did not succeed (or try very hard) at ending it.

Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

See that growth line starting shortly after Obama took office in 2009 ... ???

shah-stock-chart-01.jpg

That's all Obama ...

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Actually, that's because Obama stifled all other investment opportunities such that people were forced to put their money into the stock market, even if that meant investing in some stocks that were considered by financial advisors to be overpriced.

• Haha
Reactions: mark46
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Obama owns the Great Recession, which is called by that title because he kept us in recession for longer than any other president. He did not succeed (or try very hard) at ending it.

Do you understand the economic crisis that began in 2008?

Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, that's because Obama stifled all other investment opportunities such that people were forced to put their money into the stock market, even if that meant investing in some stocks that were considered by financial advisors to be overpriced.

By that, do you mean he lowered interest rates?

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This is the worst economic analysis that I have heard since my days of discussing these issues with a fed governor while attending Berkeley.

The recession started in December 2007 and ended in June 2009. The long, steady growth started in the second quarter of 2009. Yes, those folks were truly stupid to invest in overpriced stocks in early 2009. ROFL. The smart people didn't invest in stocks? ROFL

To be clear, stocks were NOT overpriced when Obama took office.

I apologize, but the contortions of your analysis because every day of Obama has to be a failure has provided me with much amusement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes indeed.

Growth started during the first quarter after Obama took office. The recession officially ended in June 2009. As I have said, this is a result of joint fiscal and monetary policies of Bush, Obama and the Fed.

As an aside, You should also give credit to Bush and Bernacke. If Bush, Treasury and the Fed had not acted strongly in the 4th quarter, there would have been a Depression, rather than a recession for Obama to inherit. The successful policies continued under Obama, including the 2nd stimulus package.

See that growth line starting shortly after Obama took office in 2009 ... ???

shah-stock-chart-01.jpg

That's all Obama ...

• Agree
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This is the worst economic analysis that I have heard since my days of discussing these issues with a fed governor while attending Berkeley.

The recession started in December 2007 and ended in June 2009. The long, steady growth started in 2008. Yes, those folks were truly stupid to invest in overpriced stocks in 2008. ROFL. The smart people didn't invest in stocks? ROFL

To be clear, stocks were NOT overpriced when Obama took office.
Everything I have written on this topic in this thread is accurate and verified, but we have also seen examples of how slavishly the followers of the Messiah are in defending his image that they cannot accept the facts.

We were discussing the relative treatments of Obama and Trump; and the desperate effort of some of Obamas supporters to put a better face on a failed presidency has served only to demonstrate the point about how detached from reality their worship of the man has been. I, too, could write ROFL or something like that in closing, but the reworking of history Ive been reading really is not funny or good for the country.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

The recession ended in June 2009. Calling a slow recovery a recession makes little sense, at not least to me, and my portfolio (which doubled as did almost everyone else's during the Obama administration).

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Everything I have written on this topic in this thread is accurate and verified, but we can see how slavishly the followers of the Messiah are that they cannot accept the facts. We were discussing the relative treatments of Obama and Trump have been, and the desperate effort of some of Obamas supporters to put a better face on a failed presidency only proves the point about how detached from reality their worship of the man has been.

Please post official government statements whereby the recession lasted past June 2009.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

SHAME on Obama's policies for FORCING people to invest in the stock market and doubling their money during his administration.

SHAME on Fed policy for keeping interest rates so low.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Everything I have written on this topic in this thread is accurate and verified, but we have also seen examples of how slavishly the followers of the Messiah are in defending his image that they cannot accept the facts.

We were discussing the relative treatments of Obama and Trump; and the desperate effort of some of Obamas supporters to put a better face on a failed presidency has served only to demonstrate the point about how detached from reality their worship of the man has been. I, too, could write ROFL or something like that in closing, but the reworking of history Ive been reading really is not funny or good for the country.
Projection, man... You got it bad.

Upvote 0