Johannesburg
✟22,918.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is the (double) problem with this, the Masculine Genitive Article for the Feminine Genitive Noun used as a Participle.
(περὶ τοῦ) Ἁγιωσύνης ἐξ ἀναστάσεως νεκρῶν
I am but too aware of both aspects.
Is it possible despite Grammar, to regard and use a Feminine as if it were a Masculine?
Is it possible despite Linguistics, to regard and use a Noun like it is a Participle?
How about viewing (περὶ τοῦ) Ἁγιωσύνης ἐξ ἀναστάσεως νεκρῶν for a Vocative?
Could accredited Greek scholars answer by providing INCIDENCES of such irregular, seemingly faulty usage?

RadiantGrace

Jul 18, 2017
Russian Federal Subject of America
✟23,705.00
Country
Russian Federation
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is the (double) problem with this, the Masculine Genitive Article for the Feminine Genitive Noun used as a Participle.
Is it possible despite Grammar, to regard and use a Feminine as if it were a Masculine?
Is it possible despite Linguistics, to regard and use a Noun like it is a Participle?
Could accredited Greek scholars answer by providing INCIDENCES of such irregular, seemingly faulty usage?

Accredited by whom?

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

You might want to rephrase your question to make it relevant to a theological discussion rather than a Greek discussion. Are you looking at Rom 1:4? What exactly are you trying to figure out?

Upvote 0

Joelthe vicious

Jan 4, 2018
Johannesburg
✟22,918.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You might want to rephrase your question to make it relevant to a theological discussion rather than a Greek discussion. Are you looking at Rom 1:4? What exactly are you trying to figure out?

I have had a problem with my Afrikaans Bible as well as with the KJV at Romans 1:4 combining "according to [kata] the spirit [pneuma]"-Accusative, and "holiness [hagiohsunehs]"-Genitive, using lowercase indicating it is not the Holy Spirit which is meant, but the 'spirit' and "according to the flesh [kata sarka]" in verse 3- also Accusative. So one either way has the same clashes of the Cases.

How could one solve this contradictory syntax? I thought about it for years, when suddenly I remembered, But Paul is the king of Ellipse and Romans 4:1-5 offers the best of example!
Paul's Elliptical application of the Preposition requiring the Genitive Case made perfect sense to me. Five times in this single pericope! And I grabbed this hah! moment to solve my problem.
The result was astonishing...
"Concerning [peri] the One-Who-Is-a-Coming [tou genoménou]
"(Concerning [peri]) God's Son Jesus Christ our Lord
A: of the seed of David according to the flesh,
B: with Power-according-to-the-Spirit (God, the Holy Spirit)",
C: "HIS HOLINESS by the Resurrection from the dead."

In other words, "Concerning God's Son Jesus Christ our Lord" conceived and born "with Power according to the Holy Spirit", as well as "with Power according to the Holy Spirit by the Resurrection from the dead DECLARED: HIS HOLINESS!"

Hence the possible or impossible Vocative exclamation which overwhelms and defies all grammatical rules and explanations? That is my 'problem'.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Let's look at Romans 1:1-4, which I think is the passage under discussion here.

ESV: Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God, which he promised beforehand through his prophets in the holy Scriptures, concerning his Son, who was descended from David according to the flesh and was declared to be the Son of God in power according to the Spirit of holiness by his resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord...

CSB: Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called as an apostle and set apart for the gospel of God—which he promised beforehand through his prophets in the Holy Scriptures—concerning his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord, who was a descendant of David according to the flesh and was appointed to be the powerful Son of God according to the Spirit of holiness by the resurrection of the dead.

NIV: Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle and set apart for the gospel of God— the gospel he promised beforehand through his prophets in the Holy Scriptures regarding his Son, who as to his earthly life was a descendant of David, and who through the Spirit of holiness was appointed the Son of God in power by his resurrection from the dead: Jesus Christ our Lord.

NASB:
Paul, a bond-servant of Christ Jesus, called as an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God, which He promised beforehand through His prophets in the holy Scriptures, concerning His Son, who was born of a descendant of David according to the flesh, who was declared the Son of God with power by the resurrection from the dead, according to the Spirit of holiness, Jesus Christ our Lord...

Afrikaans (1953): Paulus, ‘n dienskneg van Jesus Christus, ‘n geroepe apostel, afgesonder tot die evangelie van God—wat Hy tevore beloof het deur sy profete in die heilige Skrifte, aangaande sy Seun wat gebore is na die vlees uit die geslag van Dawid en na die Gees van heiligheid met krag verklaar is as die Seun van God deur die opstanding uit die dode, Jesus Christus, onse Here...

Greek: Παῦλος δοῦλος Χριστοῦ Ἰησοῦ, κλητὸς ἀπόστολος ἀφωρισμένος εἰς εὐαγγέλιον θεοῦ, ὃ προεπηγγείλατο διὰ τῶν προφητῶν αὐτοῦ ἐν γραφαῖς ἁγίαις, περὶ τοῦ υἱοῦ αὐτοῦ τοῦ γενομένου ἐκ σπέρματος Δαυεὶδ κατὰ σάρκα, τοῦ ὁρισθέντος υἱοῦ θεοῦ ἐν δυνάμει κατὰ πνεῦμα ἁγιωσύνης ἐξ ἀναστάσεως νεκρῶν, Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν...

There is nothing strange or difficult about the Greek here. The words περὶ τοῦ (concerning/regarding) are indeed masculine, but they apply to "Son."

The genitive noun
ἁγιωσύνης (of holiness) applies to "Spirit," which is capitalised in all five translations, and means "Holy Spirit." In general, all five translations agree with each other, although the CSB moves the words "Jesus Christ our Lord" upwards for clarity. Take your pick as to which of the five you think is best.

The words
ἐξ ἀναστάσεως νεκρῶν mean "from/by/out of the resurrection of the dead." The noun ἀναστάσεως is in the genitive because it follows ἐξ. That noun is not a participle, it is a third declension feminine noun, and -εως is the genitive ending for such nouns (see e.g. here). The adjective νεκρῶν ("of the dead") is in the plural genitive, presumably because other people will be resurrected too.

There is no "faulty Greek" here. That was a very strange thing to accuse Paul of.

Upvote 0

RadiantGrace

Jul 18, 2017
Russian Federal Subject of America
✟23,705.00
Country
Russian Federation
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
meaning, you are not accredited. Thanks anyway.

There is no such thing as an accredited Greek scholar, as far I a know, that is recognized by any educational authority in any developed country. Your question and response makes me think you have no idea what you are talking about.

Anyone can be accredited by anyone. There are no countries to my knowledge which restrict any organization from offering the vague title of accreditation. I can offer accreditation in unicorn husbandry. You can pay me a fee and I'll send you a certificate from my educational institution of unicorn husbandry. That's perfectly legal and you will have a legal accredited certificate in unicorn husbandry. I can give you one in elf psychology if you'd like.

When an educational institution offers degrees, they generally do so with some kind of accreditation. To be recognized as a real degree by other organizations or employers, the accrediting agency is recognized by the national government.

The notion of an accredited Greek scholar is a meaningless term. I can proclaim myself an accredited Greek scholar by Radiant Grace University, accredited by Unicorn Theological Association.

If you had a vague understanding of Greek, the term should have a bit of irony to you.

Upvote 0