Could a Nonwhite teach Teach English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) in a country such as Germany?

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would such a person be unlikely to have the confidence of his students, since they already have a preconceived idea that their Tutor should be a Native speaker (or at least appear to be a Native speaker)?
See no reason not to. I had a college French teacher who was from South Africa.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,515.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Would such a person be unlikely to have the confidence of his students, since they already have a preconceived idea that their Tutor should be a Native speaker (or at least appear to be a Native speaker)?
I mean in Germany I would think the assumption would be that most people teaching English would be nonnative speakers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
There are many black African people who can speak English better than you and me. There is a large number of dark skinned second and third generation Jamaicans in English who can speak Oxford English. Who's to say they can't go over to Germany and teach English to Germans?

We must not assume that just because a person's skin colour is black, that they cannot speak the Queen's English.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Furthermore, the use of the term "nonwhite" is a concern because it suggests to me that white people are the superior race and therefore any other race has to be compared with the higher quality "whites". In New Zealand, in some areas where there are many indigenous Maori residents, the term Maori and Non-Maori would be used in preference. But in the more conservative, European-dominated cities, such as Christchurch or Dunedin. there would be outrage among many if they were referred to as "non-Maori".

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
English has been culturally appropriated by people from around the globe now, and it is regarded as a world language, rather than a local dialect of a few islands just to the west of mainland Europe.

Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'd like to say that it doesn't make a difference since there are native English speakers of every race, but then again think about if you were learning German from a black native speaker, would you not be thrown off, even just a little bit?
Why?

I have never seen a study suggesting that the color of skin affects the quality of a teacher.

Upvote 0