Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
again...it's a metaphor for following Christ into the persecution that we as Christians will face and that we should not flee from it. Paul teaches this same thing to Timothy.

and then we have this scripture (which directly correlates to the posted Matthew verses) to back that up as well:

Mark 10
29"I tell you the truth," Jesus replied, "no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel 30will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age (homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—and with them, persecutions) and in the age to come, eternal life. 31But many who are first will be last, and the last first."

^^^This shows what it means to take up our cross I believe.

I currently in my life have left nothing for the gospel, but I have left all these things for a better job (including the field that was my grandmother's home ) and I am starting to question whether my intentions are really Christian or just self-seeking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
again...it's a metaphor for following Christ into the persecution that we as Christians will face and that we should not flee from it. Paul teaches this same thing to Timothy.

and then we have this scripture (which directly correlates to the posted Matthew verses) to back that up as well:

Mark 10
29"I tell you the truth," Jesus replied, "no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel 30will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age (homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—and with them, persecutions) and in the age to come, eternal life. 31But many who are first will be last, and the last first."

^^^This shows what it means to take up our cross I believe.

I currently in my life have left nothing for the gospel, but I have left all these things for a better job (including the field that was my grandmother's home ) and I am starting to question whether my intentions are really Christian or just self-seeking.
I can guarantee that if you stand on the truth of the sovereign grace of God in Christ alone you will be persecuted. Religious folks hate truth. I can also guarantee that whatever you do will be mixed with self-serving sin. As long as we live in this body of death it is just a fact. You have left nothing for the Gospel? Did you not leave a life of lust and pleasure in sin? Why do you think that you must suffer the loss of things in order to be a "good christian"? None of the Apostles asked for persecution. None sought out suffering. Serve Christ and His people wherever you are and with whatever God has put in your hands. He has put it in your hands so that you may use it for His glory. But to think that the only way you can serve Him is by suffering is wrong. Do you honestly think God will bless you more if you give up whatever you have? If you do you are serving yourself not Him. More than that you have a works religion. God gives His people the things of this world to enjoy and to use for the glory of His name. In infinite wisdom He gives as He will.

Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
2 Timothy 1:8So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God,

If you are not seeking, you will not find
Paul spoke those words to Timothy because he knew that the truth proclaimed would bring suffering not in order to tell Timothy to go looking for it. I honestly can't believe I am even having this conversation with you. If you want to suffer preach the sovereign grace of God. It will come.

Upvote 0

faceofbear

Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Texas
✟9,739.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I can guarantee that if you stand on the truth of the sovereign grace of God in Christ alone you will be persecuted. Religious folks hate truth.

Hey Ron.

I don't want to sound opposed to you, so perhaps the best way to state what I am doing is basically questioning your beliefs based on what Paul says in other verses. That is, I don't know if I agree with some of the things you said, but I don't want to debate.

Agreed. But religious folks also come with the mind that they are spiritual. Jesus showed the Spiritual that they were nonspiritual, and that their spirituality wasn't enough to get into Heaven. The difference is that one seeks to be justified by their works, but we obey Christ to be justified through Christ (that is, if we can call faith and love a work, I suppose it's more of a fruit of God, not really an obedience). He taught that the ones who love Him are the ones who will obey His commands and if they obey His commands, He will manifest Himself unto them and He and His Father will make their own in that person. This doesn't mean that good works saves, no, only Christ saves. But it doesn't change His demands of love AND faith.

I can also guarantee that whatever you do will be mixed with self-serving sin.

Before I say all that I'm about to say in response to this, I will state: I am not free from self-serving sin. :)

The start of things is faith, because without it, we cannot please God. But the Bible teaches love is the greatest command. It even states that if we have faith as to move mountains, but lack love, we are nothing. So, if we have faith, we shouldn't just pick and choose some of Jesus' teachings. We are called to be faithful to Christ. Not in hopes to justify ourselves, but in hopes of our assurance in Christ. That is, we are saved by grace, but in Titus the accurate definition of grace is that which teaches us to deny ungodliness and worldly lusts but to live upright and godly lives in THIS present age. If we aren't living godly, we aren't saved. The apostle John wrote that those who say they are of Christ are to walk as Jesus walked. However, it is clear that godliness is demanded and possible in THIS present age through Christ.

1 Corinthians 15:10, Paul says, "But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which [was bestowed] upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me."

The point of me pointing out this passage is that Paul was saying God's grace was working in him. That is, it was changing him. It was not in vain, as we might be lead to believe, "Well, I can't do anything I'll always be sinful." I do agree that we will always have sin in us, because David wrote no one can understand his ways and asked for forgiveness of his secret faults. But at the same time, holiness is demanded in this life. And not just an idle faith of imputation but a grace that is not accepted in vain or without effect, but one which labors.

We are constantly reminded through the New Testament that grace changes us and it is Christ working in us. Therefore, our good works aren't because we chose to do good works, but because Christ works in us BOTH to will and to do. So all glory belongs to Christ because He has become to us wisdom from God, sanctification, righteousness, and redemption. Which if you read the context of what grace is in Titus (that is, grace that produces physical godliness in this life -- though it is spiritual), wisdom, sanctification, righteousness, and redemption are all mentioned.

As long as we live in this body of death it is just a fact.

Again, I'm not perfect. But Paul teaches something different. That Christ freed us from the body of death and that Christ now lives in us. Romans 8, in fact, teaches we are freed from this body.

None sought out suffering.

I don't believe this is the OP's point. What I believe he is saying, at least as I understand it, is that they had the faith which lead to suffering. If we believed Christ more wholly that in giving we receive, in forgiving we are forgiven, etc. That persecutions and sufferings would come. I think all of us who are in Christ suffer to some degree, perhaps our battle is more Spiritual than physical (that is, we fight complacency and worldliness -- things which can harm the Spirit, not the body). However, I think his point is, if we believed everything Christ said, WHOLLY, we would be more like this early church was. I mean, in Acts, it is recorded that they REJOICED for their suffering. Yet, we are afraid of suffering, let a lone being made fun of...

Anyways, love ya brother :D

Hope I didn't come off harsh. Let me know what your thoughts are on my thoughts above :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hey Ron.

I don't want to sound opposed to you, so perhaps the best way to state what I am doing is basically questioning your beliefs based on what Paul says in other verses. That is, I don't know if I agree with some of the things you said, but I don't want to debate.

Agreed. But religious folks also come with the mind that they are spiritual. Jesus showed the Spiritual that they were nonspiritual, and that their spirituality wasn't enough to get into Heaven. The difference is that one seeks to be justified by their works, but we obey Christ to be justified through Christ (that is, if we can call faith and love a work, I suppose it's more of a fruit of God, not really an obedience). He taught that the ones who love Him are the ones who will obey His commands and if they obey His commands, He will manifest Himself unto them and He and His Father will make their own in that person. This doesn't mean that good works saves, no, only Christ saves. But it doesn't change His demands of love AND faith.

Before I say all that I'm about to say in response to this, I will state: I am not free from self-serving sin. :)

The start of things is faith, because without it, we cannot please God. But the Bible teaches love is the greatest command. It even states that if we have faith as to move mountains, but lack love, we are nothing. So, if we have faith, we shouldn't just pick and choose some of Jesus' teachings. We are called to be faithful to Christ. Not in hopes to justify ourselves, but in hopes of our assurance in Christ. That is, we are saved by grace, but in Titus the accurate definition of grace is that which teaches us to deny ungodliness and worldly lusts but to live upright and godly lives in THIS present age. If we aren't living godly, we aren't saved. The apostle John wrote that those who say they are of Christ are to walk as Jesus walked. However, it is clear that godliness is demanded and possible in THIS present age through Christ.

1 Corinthians 15:10, Paul says, "But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which [was bestowed] upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me."

The point of me pointing out this passage is that Paul was saying God's grace was working in him. That is, it was changing him. It was not in vain, as we might be lead to believe, "Well, I can't do anything I'll always be sinful." I do agree that we will always have sin in us, because David wrote no one can understand his ways and asked for forgiveness of his secret faults. But at the same time, holiness is demanded in this life. And not just an idle faith of imputation but a grace that is not accepted in vain or without effect, but one which labors.

We are constantly reminded through the New Testament that grace changes us and it is Christ working in us. Therefore, our good works aren't because we chose to do good works, but because Christ works in us BOTH to will and to do. So all glory belongs to Christ because He has become to us wisdom from God, sanctification, righteousness, and redemption. Which if you read the context of what grace is in Titus (that is, grace that produces physical godliness in this life -- though it is spiritual), wisdom, sanctification, righteousness, and redemption are all mentioned.

Again, I'm not perfect. But Paul teaches something different. That Christ freed us from the body of death and that Christ now lives in us. Romans 8, in fact, teaches we are freed from this body.

I don't believe this is the OP's point. What I believe he is saying, at least as I understand it, is that they had the faith which lead to suffering. If we believed Christ more wholly that in giving we receive, in forgiving we are forgiven, etc. That persecutions and sufferings would come. I think all of us who are in Christ suffer to some degree, perhaps our battle is more Spiritual than physical (that is, we fight complacency and worldliness -- things which can harm the Spirit, not the body). However, I think his point is, if we believed everything Christ said, WHOLLY, we would be more like this early church was. I mean, in Acts, it is recorded that they REJOICED for their suffering. Yet, we are afraid of suffering, let a lone being made fun of...

Anyways, love ya brother :D

Hope I didn't come off harsh. Let me know what your thoughts are on my thoughts above :p
Never fear offending me. I have no qualms about speaking my mind and I don't expect you to have any. I want to take some time to go over what you wrote before I answer. With some folks I have a ready answer but with you I want to take the time to consider how best to give you what I know according to the light given me. For some reason you have my heart. I am your servant in Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

faceofbear

Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Texas
✟9,739.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Never fear offending me. I have no qualms about speaking my mind and I don't expect you to have any. I want to take some time to go over what you wrote before I answer. With some folks I have a ready answer but with you I want to take the time to consider how best to give you what I know according to the light given me. For some reason you have my heart. I am your servant in Christ.

A lot of times I fear I come off condescending. In person, mostly, a lot of people that I am that way, but I don't intend to. So, I just like to clarify it, because I hate debating... unless it's to find truth. A lot of times debates just seem to be for the sake of debate. But no problem. :D

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
no, I don't believe that God will bless me more if I give up what I have, God will allow me to help others and to serve Him more without these things that I have.

Again...the supernatural occurrences that we find the disciples performing comes from God, but they couldn't do it without faith in Christ. The lack of ability I thus believe is a correlation of the lack of faith in all of us.

Upvote 0

faceofbear

Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Texas
✟9,739.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
no, I don't believe that God will bless me more if I give up what I have, God will allow me to help others and to serve Him more without these things that I have.

Again...the supernatural occurrences that we find the disciples performing comes from God, but they couldn't do it without faith in Christ. The lack of ability I thus believe is a correlation of the lack of faith in all of us.

Sorry for my misunderstanding. I would say, in my opinion, God does grant grace to the humble. Paradoxically, the Bible tells us to humble ourselves (1 Peter 5:6, James 4:10). According to James 4:10, you appear to be correct.

However, I think you have to be careful that it doesn't turn into self-work-righteousness. I think that you're right in saying, the lack of ability is in the lack of faith. I believe that if we believed God more wholly, we would take Him at is word, and therefore because of our faith in His promises, we'd see Him at work. But it has to be done in faith. In that sense, faith doesn't just believe on Christ's being, but on what He says as well. But we can't be tricked into a work-based relationship. God's motive is always based upon grace. Both for the poor, the middle class, and the rich. He uses them all. But He seems to take special note of the poor.

Either way, I see God, both in the OT, and through Jesus, as one who helps the poor, oppressed, etc. In fact, Lazarus and the rich man are an example. And Christ also gave the example of visiting the poor, not clothing the naked, that those who didn't do this will be cast away from God into Hell. I see throughout the OT the importance of helping the poor, and in fact, many times God wiped out nations for ignoring the poor.

Consider Sodom:

Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy. (Ezekiel 16:49)

We tend to ignore that last part.

Upvote 0