Correct Explanation Of Messianic Judaism

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WOFFED

Some MJs posting on this forum may have a different understanding of Messianic Judaism than this sites - MJ Statement of Purpose. Sincere seekers are always welcome in hope that they will accept Yeshua as their L-rd and Savior. Only then is it possible for MJs to fully comprehend the Beautiful Shalom of the Torah and Tanakh.

The followiing video gives a good explanation of Messianic Judaism

Avodat

Contending for Biblical truth
Jul 2, 2011
✟21,427.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Some MJs posting on this forum may have a different understanding of Messianic Judaism than this sites - MJ Statement of Purpose. Sincere seekers are always welcome in hope that they will accept Yeshua as their L-rd and Savior. Only then is it possible for MJs to fully comprehend the Beautiful Shalom of the Torah and Tanakh.

You know that the MJ SoP definition of MJism is not allowed to be debated, I take it? (No.4 in the SoP).

Just saying to let you know this might be a minefield you are walking into :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

mishkan

There's room for YOU in the Mishkan!
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2011
Germantown, MD
Visit site
✟40,950.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
LOLOLOLOLOL! Where did you dig this guy up???

No, my friend, he does not represent Messianic Judaism. He is a Hebrew Roots teacher. He communicates that on his website, when he says things like, "Messianic Judaism, also known as Hebrew Roots...". If he doesn't know the difference, then he is HR.

Other links on his site show that he is an adherent of Two-House theology. He associatates with Batya Wootten and Rico Cortes, as well as Messianic Israel Alliance, a rabid Hebrew Roots Two House organization.

This is not Messianic Judaism, but something uniquely Goyishe, called Hebrew Roots. Hebrew Roots people consciously distance themselves from Jews and Judaism. Their understanding of things will not allow them to integrate with the Jewish community. They must maintain the distinction, or their whole Two House premise falls like a house of cards.

The site contains a link to this video, where Barry and Batya Wootten come right out and tell us how distinct they are from Jews and Judaism.

The followiing video gives a good explanation of Messianic Judaism

Reactions: yedida
Upvote 0
W

WOFFED

You know that the MJ SoP definition of MJism is not allowed to be debated, I take it? (No.4 in the SoP).
Just saying to let you know this might be a minefield you are walking into
Opps! I'm truly amazed and disappointed that the video is apparently such a contentious subject. Thanks for the heads-up. So, who's possibly contesting the 'expressed' content of the video other than Mishkan.

I had no idea that my 'explanation' would be seen by some as a call to debate when Mishkan know he's not allowed to debate.

It wasn't that long ago that there was quite a lengthy debate on whether this forum was too restrictive when it came to possibly disallowing 'expressed' views from non-MJs. There is nothing in the video that suggests in anyway that his explanation of MJaism is not a “completely valid form of Judaism.” The video presents Yeshua as Messiah Yeshua so it’s impossible to suggest that a MJ has to “convert to Orthodox Judaism or any other branch of Judaism” other than Messianic Judaism. There are “different expressions of Messianic Judaism, as there are in other Judaisms.” The video in NO way discounts that “a Torah observant Judaism who believes Yeshua is the Messiah and believes the Apostolic writings hold authority, to be the true expression of Judaism that the scriptures and the God of Yisrael intended

4. Please keep in mind that we consider Messianic Judaism to be a completely valid form of Judaism that doesn't need the permission or affirmation from any other sect of Judaism to exist. Therefore, we don't believe it is necessary to convert to Orthodox Judaism or any other branch of Judaism to belong. Although there are different expressions of Messianic Judaism, as there are in other Judaisms, we believe Messianic Judaism; a Torah observant Judaism who believes Yeshua is the Messiah and believes the Apostolic writings hold authority, to be the true expression of Judaism that the scriptures and the God of Yisrael intended.
-No debating this belief or campaigns to change this forum name

Mishkan's expressed opinion may possible be based on a prevalent misconception that even a Messianic Jew with a healthy beard is more likely an Orthodox Jew disguised under a counterfeit Messianic overcoat ;)

Please get over any preconceived prejudices that possibly stirs up divisiveness

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

No, my friend, he does not represent Messianic Judaism. He is a Hebrew Roots teacher. He communicates that on his website, when he says things like, "Messianic Judaism, also known as Hebrew Roots...". If he doesn't know the difference, then he is HR.

Other links on his site show that he is an adherent of Two-House theology. He associatates with Batya Wootten and Rico Cortes, as well as Messianic Israel Alliance, a rabid Hebrew Roots Two House organization.

This is not Messianic Judaism, but something uniquely Goyishe, called Hebrew Roots. Hebrew Roots people consciously distance themselves from Jews and Judaism. Their understanding of things will not allow them to integrate with the Jewish community. They must maintain the distinction, or their whole Two House premise falls like a house of cards.

The site contains a link to this video, where Barry and Batya Wootten come right out and tell us how distinct they are from Jews and Judaism.

Let's run with the house of cards. HR's use the deck that was dealt in the Tanakh and NT to build their house. Rabbinic Jews use the first part, but have added a second deck (talmud). The church uses a modified deck, deleting some cards and adding their own.

A proper house starts with a broad, solid base (Torah) and builds up from there. Heresy and false teachings begin when you try to build on only one or two precepts, or when you build on other, non-biblical foundations.

Upvote 0

Avodat

Contending for Biblical truth
Jul 2, 2011
✟21,427.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Opps! I'm truly amazed and disappointed that the video is apparently such a contentious subject. Thanks for the heads-up. So, who's possibly contesting the 'expressed' content of the video other than Mishkan.

I had no idea that my 'explanation' would be seen by some as a call to debate when Mishkan know he's not allowed to debate.

It wasn't that long ago that there was quite a lengthy debate on whether this forum was too restrictive when it came to possibly disallowing 'expressed' views from non-MJs. There is nothing in the video that suggests in anyway that his explanation of MJaism is not a “completely valid form of Judaism.” The video presents Yeshua as Messiah Yeshua so it’s impossible to suggest that a MJ has to “convert to Orthodox Judaism or any other branch of Judaism” other than Messianic Judaism. There are “different expressions of Messianic Judaism, as there are in other Judaisms.” The video in NO way discounts that “a Torah observant Judaism who believes Yeshua is the Messiah and believes the Apostolic writings hold authority, to be the true expression of Judaism that the scriptures and the God of Yisrael intended

4. Please keep in mind that we consider Messianic Judaism to be a completely valid form of Judaism that doesn't need the permission or affirmation from any other sect of Judaism to exist. Therefore, we don't believe it is necessary to convert to Orthodox Judaism or any other branch of Judaism to belong. Although there are different expressions of Messianic Judaism, as there are in other Judaisms, we believe Messianic Judaism; a Torah observant Judaism who believes Yeshua is the Messiah and believes the Apostolic writings hold authority, to be the true expression of Judaism that the scriptures and the God of Yisrael intended.

Mishkan's expressed opinion may possible be based on a prevalent misconception that even a Messianic Jew with a healthy beard is more likely an Orthodox Jew disguised under a counterfeit Messianic overcoat ;)

I was simply drawing your attention to the fact some may see this as an opportunity to re-open the debates we have had recently that led to the rule change about NOT debating what we as MJ's believe. I wasn't suggesting that any particular person would or might start a debate.

Upvote 0

mishkan

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2011
Germantown, MD
Visit site
✟40,950.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I realize you were responding to Avodat, but I figure I'm entitled to respond when my name is invoked. Problem is... I don't understand the grammar of the sentence in which I am mentioned. I'm not allowed to debate in a Messianic Judaism forum? When did this rule go up? Did I miss something? Or am I misreading your sentence?

There are “different expressions of Messianic Judaism, as there are in other Judaisms.”

This is true. But one must be discerning regarding the sources from which we feed. The fellow you posted is of a different species than Messianic Judaism. He is part of a community that attempts to redefine everything for everybody. That community is called "Hebrew Roots". It does not self-identify as having anything to do with any form of Judaism. So, trying to link it to Messianic Judaism is completely in error, from their own perspective. You do them no favors by granting them the title.

I have no idea what you are trying to say. I know exactly what HR is, and I am taking their own statements at face value when I say they are not any form of Messianic Judaism.

I assure you, any perceived divisiveness is a result of simply acknowledging the HR position. I have no personal animosity towards anything or anyone. But introducing HR teachers without clear acknowledgement of their identity is tantamount to an attack on MJ.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
He associatates with Batya Wootten and Rico Cortes, as well as Messianic Israel Alliance, a rabid Hebrew Roots Two House organization.
This is the first time I heard Rico being thrown in with the Wootten's what do you have against Cortes, who is a Sephardic Messianic Jew?

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm not allowed to debate in a Messianic Judaism forum? When did this rule go up? Did I miss something? Or am I misreading your sentence?

I think he may be referring to this.

Messianic.gif
= MJ who are allowed to debate here

Non-Trinitarian-Messianic.gif
= Those who are not allowed to debate according to the rules.

:)

Upvote 0

mishkan

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2011
Germantown, MD
Visit site
✟40,950.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is the first time I heard Rico being thrown in with the Wootten's what do you have against Cortes, who is a Sephardic Messianic Jew?

I have nothing against him being a sephardic Jew. But he teaches straight down the listof HR speaking points... including the anti-rabbinic rhetoric. I don't call that "Messianic", unless someone is trying to muddy the definitions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mishkan

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2011
Germantown, MD
Visit site
✟40,950.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think he may be referring to this.

Messianic.gif
= MJ who are allowed to debate here

Non-Trinitarian-Messianic.gif
= Those who are not allowed to debate according to the rules.

:)

Ah! I had forgotten I was fiddling around with that a few months ago.

Well... all it says is that one adheres to trinitarianism, or not. I certainly haven't been addressing that point, today.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have nothing against him being a sephardic Jew. But he teaches straight down the listof HR speaking points... including the anti-rabbinic rhetoric. I don't call that "Messianic", unless someone is trying to muddy the definitions.
Really? I haven't seen anything by him recently, but I would never classify him in with wootten. If he is teaching anything against Rabbinic opinions I would think he does so from an informed perspective. Last I heard he was studying with an Orthodox Rabbi in Israel.

Upvote 0

mishkan

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2011
Germantown, MD
Visit site
✟40,950.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Really? I haven't seen anything by him recently, but I would never classify him in with wootten. If he is teaching anything against Rabbinic opinions I would think he does so from an informed perspective. Last I heard he was studying with an Orthodox Rabbi in Israel.

I watched several of his videos on YouTube about a year ago. After that, I had no more time for him. Perhaps his Orthodox mentor has taught him better now......

Upvote 0
D

dnc101

mishkan, there are have two threads going simultaneously in which you are arguing against Hebrew Roots and for Messianic Judaism. You're like the common link. So I'm going to address you, and if this seems like I am picking you out for abuse I apologize. Not my intent. But you do make a good vehicle to make my points.

... This is not Messianic Judaism, but something uniquely Goyishe, called Hebrew Roots. Hebrew Roots people consciously distance themselves from Jews and Judaism. Their understanding of things will not allow them to integrate with the Jewish community. They must maintain the distinction, or their whole Two House premise falls like a house of cards. ...
Hebrew Roots is so fragmented I find it difficult to peg them in one bundle. I think you have to assess each organization and even individual on their own merits. Even then, you usually have to think about, research and use discernment with most of what they tell you (good advice with anyone, btw).

I do not see that they distance themselves from the Jewish community, however. Jews do not accept non-Jews, or Jews who have accepted Yeshua. They don't even really accept Jews who were raised Jewish but had the unfortunate circumstance of being born to a Jewish Holocaust survivor and a gentile mother. I see this "distance" as being one sided, from the Jewish perspective and not any attempt by the HR folk.

Now, this isn't to say that we all, both HR and MJ, don't do things that are offensive to them; and maybe some HR people do more than most MJ. I'd cede part of your point based on this. But it isn't an absolute. Nor is it to say Jews are bad, or that there aren't some very accepting Jews out there. It's one of those generalizations that tend to get us all in trouble from time to time.

... But one must be discerning regarding the sources from which we feed. The fellow you posted is of a different species than Messianic Judaism. He is part of a community that attempts to redefine everything for everybody. That community is called "Hebrew Roots". It does not self-identify as having anything to do with any form of Judaism. ...
I think a lot of HR is simply looking, and some forgot to use that discernment thing I mentioned. Many have gone off down a rabbit trail and maybe even fell into the hole. But many haven't. However ...

You speak of MJ as if they have none of these tendencies or shortcomings themselves. I have been getting out and talking to people around the country here, and I assure you this is not the case. Let's start with those religion icons- Trinitarian or Non Trinitarian. I won't argue who is right, but I think you'd agree that this is a huge divisive issue in MJ. There are other things, like wearing tzitzit on belt loops, that some MJ adheres to that even I find a bit offensive, truth be told.

Personally, I consider myself to be MJ, but I still also identify with myself as a Christian as well. I worship in a mainstream church, and am active there, even though we have some major disagreements. I also still get a lot from the HR side.

When you start talking in absolutes about people and religions I think you are in trouble right off. That's not to say there aren't absolutes within religions, especially Judaism and Christianity. My guess is you aren't thinking of MJ as a whole here, but rather your own branch of MJ. I don't find it that cohesive a group, truth be told.

Dan C

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
W

WOFFED

your an odd bunch at times methinks ...
How many different Christian faith badge choices are there at CF? Don’t you suppose each faith badge wearer believes their more specific faith identity has a better interpretation of Christian doctrine/theology than the others … otherwise why wouldn’t they all just wear a Christian faith badge.

MJs only wear one MJ faith badge and don’t consider themselves “Christians” for the very reason that there are so many divisive walls within religious churchianity.

Matthew 7:1-5 (The Message)
Don’t pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults— unless, of course, you want the same treatment. That critical spirit has a way of boomeranging. It’s easy to see a smudge on your neighbor’s face and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. Do you have the nerve to say, ‘Let me wash your face for you,’ when your own face is distorted by contempt? It’s this whole traveling road-show mentality all over again, playing a holier-than-thou part instead of just living your part. Wipe that ugly sneer off your own face, and you might be fit to offer a washcloth to your neighbor.

Dirty_face_baby.jpg

Upvote 0
A

annier

How many different Christian faith badge choices are there at CF? Don’t you suppose each faith badge wearer believes their more specific faith identity has a better interpretation of Christian doctrine/theology than the others … otherwise why wouldn’t they all just wear a Christian faith badge.

MJs only wear one MJ faith badge and don’t consider themselves “Christians” for the very reason that there are so many divisive walls within religious churchianity.
Have you not seen many that have requested for additional forums, even just one more for broader discussion?

Upvote 0

mishkan

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2011
Germantown, MD
Visit site
✟40,950.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
mishkan, there are have two threads going simultaneously in which you are arguing against Hebrew Roots and for Messianic Judaism. You're like the common link. So I'm going to address you, and if this seems like I am picking you out for abuse I apologize. Not my intent. But you do make a good vehicle to make my points.

No problem. I am well aware that I sometimes make myself an easy target. But I have broad shoulders. I can take it.

Hebrew Roots is so fragmented I find it difficult to peg them in one bundle. I think you have to assess each organization and even individual on their own merits. Even then, you usually have to think about, research and use discernment with most of what they tell you (good advice with anyone, btw).

I am a systems analyst by trade. And while I agree that treating individuals as individuals is always a good practice, I also have no problem identifying commonalities, as well as the differences. One must look for trends and 90% solutions, and not get caught up in the details.

Hebrew Roots organizations are extremely easy to identify, really. They almost always feature belief in Two House Theology or Sacred Name Use... or both! Their members tend to be extremely (overly) zealous for Shabbat and Kashrut. But like the Seventh Day Adventists, they tend to know little more than these couple of easily identifiable public aspects of Torah-based identity. And, above all, Hebrew Roots groups can be distinguished by their general animosity towards tradition of any kind. They are Lone Rangers, at heart.

I do not see that they distance themselves from the Jewish community, however.

Perhaps what confuses you is the fact that the anti-Jewish statements usually go along with anti-Church statements. I do not claim that they are not even-handed in their disdain for established communities. But, in the context of Messianic Judaism, they make it clear that they have no concern for identifying with the existing Jewish community. In fact, for Two Housers, their theology explicitly informs them that the Jews have nothing for them, at all.

Jews do not accept non-Jews, or Jews who have accepted Yeshua. They don't even really accept Jews who were raised Jewish but had the unfortunate circumstance of being born to a Jewish Holocaust survivor and a gentile mother.

That's a different issue.

I see this "distance" as being one sided, from the Jewish perspective and not any attempt by the HR folk.

You have to pay more attention to the HR statements regarding their relationship to what they disdainfully refer to as "Judah, the other brother".

Now, this isn't to say that we all, both HR and MJ, don't do things that are offensive to them; and maybe some HR people do more than most MJ. I'd cede part of your point based on this.

You are missing my point, entirely. I'm not talking about accidental off-putting behavior. I'm talking about the clear and explicit teachings of HR leaders. They have no concern or regard for anything they identify as "Jewish". That's because they are locked into Two House theology, which tells them that "Judah" has nothing for "us Ephraimites".

I think a lot of HR is simply looking, and some forgot to use that discernment thing I mentioned. Many have gone off down a rabbit trail and maybe even fell into the hole. But many haven't.

You may be surprised to hear that I agree with this completely. As I see it, there is a spectrum with three major sections--Judaism, Christianity, and Messianic Judaism. Between MJ and both Judaism and Christianity, there is a sort of no-man's land that has to be crossed. Regardless where one starts, there has to be an integration of certain elements from the other side.

But, as you say, some get stranded in this no-man's land. I believe this is a result of getting caught up in pointing fingers at everybody else's alleged "errors". At this point, I see HR not as the necessary transitional stage I experienced, but stepping off the spectrum, and creating its own identity. This essentially turns my linear spectrum into a triangle.

I suppose what I am describing is the idea that one who leaves the two major Biblical-based religions has two possible solutions--1) Messianic Judaism, which welcomes the best of both worlds, and 2) Hebrew Roots, which rejects almost entirely the possibility that either Christianity or Judaism has anything worth preserving.

You speak of MJ as if they have none of these tendencies or shortcomings themselves. I have been getting out and talking to people around the country here, and I assure you this is not the case. Let's start with those religion icons- Trinitarian or Non Trinitarian. I won't argue who is right, but I think you'd agree that this is a huge divisive issue in MJ. There are other things, like wearing tzitzit on belt loops, that some MJ adheres to that even I find a bit offensive, truth be told.

Personally, I consider myself to be MJ, but I still also identify with myself as a Christian as well. I worship in a mainstream church, and am active there, even though we have some major disagreements. I also still get a lot from the HR side.

You have completely misunderstood my comments, then. I have been solely describing the distinctions between HR and MJ. I've said nothing about how either relates to the Jewish community, other than to note that HR explicitly rejects all Jewish tradition and culture.

When you start talking in absolutes about people and religions I think you are in trouble right off. That's not to say there aren't absolutes within religions, especially Judaism and Christianity. My guess is you aren't thinking of MJ as a whole here, but rather your own branch of MJ. I don't find it that cohesive a group, truth be told.

Keep trying. Maybe after reading this post you'll understand why, in my view, this whole final paragraph of yours is completely misdirected.

Reactions: yedida
Upvote 0

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship

It wasn't that long ago that there was quite a lengthy debate on whether this forum was too restrictive when it came to possibly disallowing 'expressed' views from non-MJs. There is nothing in the video that suggests in anyway that his explanation of MJaism is not a “completely valid form of Judaism.” The video presents Yeshua as Messiah Yeshua so it’s impossible to suggest that a MJ has to “convert to Orthodox Judaism or any other branch of Judaism” other than Messianic Judaism. There are “different expressions of Messianic Judaism, as there are in other Judaisms.” The video in NO way discounts that “a Torah observant Judaism who believes Yeshua is the Messiah and believes the Apostolic writings hold authority, to be the true expression of Judaism that the scriptures and the God of Yisrael intended.”

What do you mean by that statement? Do you think Mishkan is not allowed to debate? Do you think he is not a member of this MJ forum? He actually is MJ and not HR. HE has every right to debate here.

This is about the 4th or 5th time it seems you've decided to take it upon yourself and speak for the whole of this forum. Please, don't do that. We can all speak for ourselves quite nicely. Thank you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship

Matthew 7:1-5 (The Message)
Don’t pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults— unless, of course, you want the same treatment. That critical spirit has a way of boomeranging. It’s easy to see a smudge on your neighbor’s face and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. Do you have the nerve to say, ‘Let me wash your face for you,’ when your own face is distorted by contempt? It’s this whole traveling road-show mentality all over again, playing a holier-than-thou part instead of just living your part. Wipe that ugly sneer off your own face, and you might be fit to offer a washcloth to your neighbor.

Dirty_face_baby.jpg

gosh 2nd error on your part and on the same page!! "...MJs only wear one MJ faith badge ..." Wrong. We also have non-trin Messianic AND we have the same rights as those who fly the scroll.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.