Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
By any reasonable standard the sheer number of people a disease kills is the true measure of it's deadliness.
Flu annually infects over three quarters of a million people and kills up to 80,000. When coronavirus tops these numbers only then will it be 'more deadly' than the flu, imho.

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
By any reasonable standard the sheer number of people a disease kills is the true measure of it's deadliness.
Flu annually infects over three quarters of a million people and kills up to 80,000. When coronavirus tops these numbers only then will it be 'more deadly' than the flu, imho.
You don't think mortality rate is important? The whole point is not to let it become as common as the flu.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
By any reasonable standard the sheer number of people a disease kills is the true measure of it's deadliness..
I guess the money spent on that Certificate in Epidemiology from Kermit Junior College may have been wasted.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
No. It's how many of the people it infects that it kills as to how deadly it is. Ebola is hardly deadly by your standard, but if you ever got it you would most likely be dead.

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I do not trust Chinese numbers, people report that they are discharged from hospitals even while they still have symptoms and who knows how many deaths China covers. Who spreads real information in China, he can disappear.

I would also not trust Iranian or Russian stats, but because they are not as high as China, let us let them in the general result.

So, lets see the stats without China:

cases: 259,000
recovered: 24,000
deaths: 11,000

Recovery rate: 9%
Death reate: 4%
Uknown result: 87%

The vast majority of cases neither recovered nor died yet. The uncertainity is the main reason why there are such counter measures. We know flu, but we do not know what will happen with this new virus. It can develop well or be a serious threat.

We are simply buying more time to know more. It may be two weeks, more probably a month and maybe even more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Here's a comparison of more recent flu viruses global impacts

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
By that logic, the flu is more deadly than the Ebola virus. Which you rather get the flu or Ebola?

The logic is that the flu, at this time, is more deadly to the nation than coronavirus. Ebola is more deadly to the individual than flu but less deadly to the nation as a whole.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You don't think mortality rate is important? The whole point is not to let it become as common as the flu.

Why did we let the flu become so common?

When I was a kid my parents took illness seriously, even the common cold. Today few seem to care.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status

Mortality rate only matters for the people who have the disease. If only 100 people get a disease, even if the morality rate is 100%, it won't be deadlier than a disease with a much lower mortality rate but affects more people . However, with Covid19, I suspect that it has a fairly low mortality rate because we don't have the ability to count the mild cases and no way to know who is positive but is asymptomatic. They still count but remain invisible.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Mortality rate only matters for the people who have the disease. If only 100 people get a disease, even if the morality rate is 100%, it won't be deadlier than a disease with a much lower mortality rate but affects more people . However, with Covid19, I suspect that it has a fairly low mortality rate because we don't have the ability to count the mild cases and no way to know who is positive but is asymptomatic. They still count but remain invisible.

True, the only real figures we have is the deaths per day in some of the hardest hit countries like italy with around 500 a day.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

More people have died overall from bee stings than they have from nuclear weapons. Therefore, bees are more deadly than nuclear weapons, according to your logic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
More people have died overall from bee stings than they have from nuclear weapons. Therefore, bees are more deadly than nuclear weapons, according to your logic.
Well, yes. Bees and other insects are more deadly, else there would have been no need for S.A.L.T. - Strategic Arthropod Limitation Talks.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Umnmmm what do you suggest we do about the flu? We have vaccines the idiots ignore due to conspiracies, we have medicine that can help we do everything we can to stop it, we have people with possible partial imunity from previous inefctions.

with Covid we have 0 imunity, no vaccines, still trying to understand how it can be stopped. A infection rate far far worse then the flu.

And we have idiots like you that fail at math and understanding dangers, treating a disease that didn't spread this fast this quickly in any year in recent memory or kill as quickly or deadly as this one has, and treating it like it's nothing.

Not so. I'm hoarding toilet paper and staying home like everyone else. ^_^

I think you are going to receive a warning from the forum for flaming.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

That's your logic, not mine.

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian

By overall standards, this would be correct. It's about perspective. When you compare reported cases vs deaths - ie the cases where a person has been confirmed through tests to have suffered a particular disease - flu is currently twice as deadly as corona virus.

However, we do not test the millions of people who get the flu. Therefore, the statisticians have come up with an "estimated cases" value which they think more accurately reflects the reality - people who got the flu but were never tested or showed up to a doctor's office or hospital. When you measure against that, flu has a mortality rate of about .1 percent. When you measure flu mortality against confirmed cases, then the mortality rate calculates to 20% - 2 to three times higher than the rate in regards to corona virus.

So in this particular case, the raw death number is in fact comparable, just like it's appropriate to say that bees kill more people than nukes. It may be true that nukes are used less frequently and that if they were used, exposure would pretty much ensure your death, but you wouldn't then try to induce panic in the entire world to take measures to prevent nuke exposure when other things are more pressing and likely.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

True. The true mortality rate for coronavirus, using all who are infected, is just a guess at this point as it isn't known how many are actually infected.

Upvote 0