Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
This is building on the suggestion by @Stanfordella I'll post below.I agree that a section on public health would be super useful!!!!! Especially RIGHT NOW! I hope one gets made ASAP. I'd like to suggest that it have a subsection just for Coronavirus bc there's SO much to talk about it w it.

Public Health Forum
TL;DR: There needs to be a dedicated, centrally located section accessible to every member of the Christian Forums community to serve as a repository for updates; information; guidance for sensible preparation; and support (practically, emotionally, and spiritually) pertaining to COVID-19 (coronavirus) and other significant issues impacting public health. Unifying as a community can have individual and collective benefit. Well-meaning dismissal can be as detrimental as panic. The ramifications of coronavirus will extend far beyond the virus itself, necessitating changes to daily life, and that needs to be discussed and prepared for proactively. Since disinformation and misinformation can be virulent, there needs to be clear rules in place to help reduce transmission and facilitate calm and productive dialogue (such as not spreading conspiracy theories or posting about "miracle cures.")

Though there are numerous existing sections where important issues pertaining to public health - including but not limited to COVID-19 - are frequently discussed, some are restricted to members of a specific faith, denomination, or age, and therefore inaccessible to many members. There may be knowledgeable and experienced people here who could provide valuable and timely input on how to sensibly and effectively prepare for the impact of communicable diseases, but if they don't have the Christian label they will not be able to post it in some of the most logical places for such guidance, such as Christian Preppers. An atheist, humanist, agnostic, etc. may be able to give and gain sage insight for a thread topic relating to public health but be prohibited from doing so if it's in an area designated as Christians-only.

To me the nature of infectious disease is paradoxically wondrous in that it reveals our deep interconnectedness. Our lives are interwoven with people we may never meet face-to-face.
COVID-19 reminds us we're exponentially more similar to each other than we are different. There is so much that divides us - geographically, ideologically, religiously, politically, socioeconomically - but we are unified in profound ways. This is the time to bond together and marshal our ingenuity, resources, education, and empathy. I think if everyone could be encouraged to create their threads in a specified area for public health it could enable more unity and increase access to useful content relevant to us all.

One of the conundrums of public health is the very same action that might seem like a drastic overreaction early in a crisis could end up being woefully inadequate if delayed too long.
Today the World Health Organization officially declared the coronavirus outbreak a global pandemic, and WHO's chief said “we’re deeply concerned both by the alarming levels of spread and severity and by the alarming levels of inaction." It's essential that we not thwart productive dialogue about how to take appropriate action by diminishing or ridiculing concerns or attempting to shift the narrative to another topic. We cannot postpone in making preparations; it is prudent to be informed and proactive. Let's help one another!

To any nurses, doctors, epidemiologists, social workers, orderlies, researchers, paramedics, or others here who are rushing in to combat the coronavirus at risk to their own health, thank you for your service and sacrifice!!!

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is building on the suggestion by @Stanfordella I'll post below.I agree that a section on public health would be super useful!!!!! Especially RIGHT NOW! I hope one gets made ASAP. I'd like to suggest that it have a subsection just for Coronavirus bc there's SO much to talk about it w it.

Public Health Forum
Public health forum may be good, but I am not sure if having a Coronavirus forum simply because it will (likely hopefully be a non-issue in a few weeks.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Public health forum may be good, but I am not sure if having a Coronavirus forum simply because it will (likely hopefully be a non-issue in a few weeks.

I don't think it's going to be a non issue in a few weeks but hopefully in a yr it will be.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't think it's going to be a non issue in a few weeks but hopefully in a yr it will be.
Well, maybe not a complete non-issue but I am hoping that it will calm down some.

• Agree
Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Just to let you all know, we will not be creating a new forum. There are plenty of places to get information. If we were to create a forum, that wouldn’t solve anything because there would still be opposing views. It would be akin to starting a forum titled “Correct Theology”.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Just to let you all know, we will not be creating a new forum. There are plenty of places to get information. If we were to create a forum, that wouldn’t solve anything because there would still be opposing views. It would be akin to starting a forum titled “Correct Theology”.

You do not have a central hub for fact-based information during this global pandemic unprecedented during most of our lifetimes. No, it would not be akin to starting a forum titled Correct Theology, and the flippant suggestion that is underscores the problem. The information from public health officials, epidemiologists, and other professionals is based on data. Not on beliefs. This forum has a contagion of misinformation and disinformation pertaining to public health. and in a time of chaos and crisis that's palpably detrimental. You need people to be citing information culled from experts rather than from a chiropractor's blog.

Stanford has an Internet Conservatory that traces the "infodemic" of inaccurate and misleading content and its ramifications. I mainly come to this forum to scoop up content and post it there. We've traced the origins of misinformation posted on this forum regarding vaccination and previous outbreaks (measles in particular). It's not innocent or harmless, or a matter of a difference of opinion. Facts matter.
You have the opportunity to use this forum for benefit during this pandemic, instead of letting it disseminate falsehoods.

Being proactive by establishing sensible rules comparable to what many social media discussion boards already have would mitigate problems.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I think having a place for real useful information is highly desirable. The 'cost' is extremely low and if just one person is spared a hospital trip that effort is repaid several times over. How much more if a life is saved?

The misinformation here and elsewhere is shocking and disturbing. Giving people a resource that will point to legitimate experts would seem the right thing to do.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think having a place for real useful information is highly desirable. The 'cost' is extremely low and if just one person is spared a hospital trip that effort is repaid several times over. How much more if a life is saved?

The misinformation here and elsewhere is shocking and disturbing. Giving people a resource that will point to legitimate experts would seem the right thing to do.

The archived sections used to be visible to the public, and I'm fairly certain I saw one for SARS.

Stanford's forum for the university community created a section for the Coronavirus in early January,
and it's been an indispensable asset, for students, parents, faculty. It was simple to set up. The rules are clearly posted, so there's virtually no drama. A section placed in the Physical Science area could help to alleviate political debate. It certainly should not be difficult to establish; I mean there's sections here for gamers, conspiracy theories, firearms. One for a global pandemic would certainly be more purposeful.
I'd be happy to share the guidelines we use on our forum to help facilitate productive conversation.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You do not have a central hub for fact-based information during this global pandemic unprecedented during most of our lifetimes. No, it would not be akin to starting a forum titled Correct Theology, and the flippant suggestion that is underscores the problem. The information from public health officials, epidemiologists, and other professionals is based on data. Not on beliefs. This forum has a contagion of misinformation and disinformation pertaining to public health. and in a time of chaos and crisis that's palpably detrimental. You need people to be citing information culled from experts rather than from a chiropractor's blog.

Stanford has an Internet Conservatory that traces the "infodemic" of inaccurate and misleading content and its ramifications. I mainly come to this forum to scoop up content and post it there. We've traced the origins of misinformation posted on this forum regarding vaccination and previous outbreaks (measles in particular). It's not innocent or harmless, or a matter of a difference of opinion. Facts matter.
You have the opportunity to use this forum for benefit during this pandemic, instead of letting it disseminate falsehoods.

Being proactive by establishing sensible rules comparable to what many social media discussion boards already have would mitigate problems.
If we had an official public health official, then we might be able to have such a forum. But we don’t. There are multiple opinions on this, some more informed than others. Whose opinion do we consider the official one?

What happens if we start such a sub forum, someone gives what looks to be good information, someone follows it and still gets sick? We open ourselves up to liability. There’s a reason we have a rule on medical advice.

I really appreciate your concern. But a forum such as that isn’t going to happen.

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ada Lovelace

Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If we had an official public health official, then we might be able to have such a forum. But we don’t. There are multiple opinions on this, some more informed than others. Whose opinion do we consider the official one?

What happens if we start such a sub forum, someone gives what looks to be good information, someone follows it and still gets sick? We open ourselves up to liability. There’s a reason we have a rule on medical advice.

I really appreciate your concern. But a forum such as that isn’t going to happen.

CF has long permitted misinformation and disinformation pertaining to vaccination and infectious disease outbreaks that have tangibly caused detriment. This forum is actually what motivated me to write a research paper on the infodemic of misinformed health statements that have fueled measles outbreaks around the globe. I'm not being hyperbolic. A completely incorrect series of posts that I read during the Disneyland Measles outbreak when I was a kid prompted me to do research that then lead to me deciding to pursue a degree in International Policy with a focus on global health and concentrate on how disinformation is a virtual plague. It's why a Public Health forum is necessary and prudent.

Some time ago Free in Christ posted valuable information on how to properly evaluate sources and determine their validity, and that guidance is applicable to how to filter what content should be posted about matters pertaining to public health. Social media sites like YouTube and Facebook now flag misinformation about public health because they understand why it's harmful.

Of course there's more than one public health official but anyone with a relevant degree working in a capacity about public health or epidemiology or from a reputable university is exponentially more reliable than content copied and pasted from a chiropractor's blog.

Am I correct in that there used to be a section dedicated for SARS? I have a really strong memory and am fairly certain I saw one years ago when the archived sections were still publicly viewable.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
CF has long permitted misinformation and disinformation pertaining to vaccination and infectious disease outbreaks that have tangibly caused detriment. This forum is actually what motivated me to write a research paper on the infodemic of misinformed health statements that have fueled measles outbreaks around the globe. I'm not being hyperbolic. A completely incorrect series of posts that I read during the Disneyland Measles outbreak when I was a kid prompted me to do research that then lead to me deciding to pursue a degree in International Policy with a focus on global health and concentrate on how disinformation is a virtual plague. It's why a Public Health forum is necessary and prudent.

Some time ago Free in Christ posted valuable information on how to properly evaluate sources and determine their validity, and that guidance is applicable to how to filter what content should be posted about matters pertaining to public health. Social media sites like YouTube and Facebook now flag misinformation about public health because they understand why it's harmful.

Of course there's more than one public health official but anyone with a relevant degree working in a capacity about public health or epidemiology or from a reputable university is exponentially more reliable than content copied and pasted from a chiropractor's blog.

Am I correct in that there used to be a section dedicated for SARS? I have a really strong memory and am fairly certain I saw one years ago when the archived sections were still publicly viewable.
The last forum I see on SARS was in 05.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The last forum I see on SARS was in 05.

Then I'm correct that CF already has a forum to discuss coronavirus; it's simply dormant and archived. It was colloquially known as SARS but the official name is SARS-CoV / Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus. Since no new cases of SARS have been diagnosed anywhere in the world since 2004 it's logical that discussions pertaining to it faded in the mid-2000s. It's excellent that during the actual outbreak there was a forum dedicated to discussing it. Many members of CF are older, in the demographic most vulnerable to COVID-19, and some don't have the same level of access to credible information of imporatnce. SARS-CoV-2 is the virus that causes COVID-19, which is colloquially referred to simply as "coronavirus."

If you don't want to create a new forum for SARS you could reactivate the existing forum that is archived.

• Winner
Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Our ownership has changed hands multiple times since then, and so have our policies. It may have been fine then, but not now.

This is the official position of CF. Advisors are in agreement. No new forum.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.