Corona virus recoveries and mortality....

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,404.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Hey all.

In my mind, the best way to measure how "lethal" a disease is, is to get a sense of how many people die from it compared to how many people recover from it. When we say a cancer has a "78%" survival rate, THAT is how we calculate that.

With that in mind, I can't quite fathom how people are saying "it's no more deadly than the flu".

COVID recoveries worldwide now 210,245

So that's awesome!

Deaths: 51,376

less awesome.

And it puts the survival rate of this disease at 24.4%

Now let's be sensible here: Who in their right mind (perhaps that is a HUGE asterix) would argue that the common flu has a survival rate of 24.4%

To me: Deaths/Recoveries is the BEST way to measure a disease's mortality rate.

Thoughts?

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,662.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Hey all.

In my mind, the best way to measure how "lethal" a disease is, is to get a sense of how many people die from it compared to how many people recover from it. When we say a cancer has a "78%" survival rate, THAT is how we calculate that.

With that in mind, I can't quite fathom how people are saying "it's no more deadly than the flu".

So that's awesome!

less awesome.

Now let's be sensible here: Who in their right mind (perhaps that is a HUGE asterix) would argue that the common flu has a survival rate of 24.4%

Thoughts?

I think you need to check your math.

51,376/261621 = 19.9%.

So, of the 261,621 cases of COVID-19 that are 'closed', 19.9% of them have resulted in a death.

That puts the survival rate at 80.1%.

• Haha
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Total recover can be weeks, death is death done deal. So the scale for comparison is skewed right off the bat. We will know more months into this. We will also know more with quick accurate testing of who really has it or may have had it unknowingly and survived. Our numbers are nowhere near complete. And yours are wrong as well.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thoughts?
Even the most pessimistic estimations of the virus do not have the overall morality rate anywhere near that.

Upvote 0

Johan_1988

Jun 17, 2019
Durban
✟30,451.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Also different populations have different percentages of deaths since genetics, age and pre-existing conditions are also contributing factors and like Dave said, we don't even the real number of infections since some people easily overcome it.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

So that's awesome!

less awesome.

That's not a survival rate --- that's a death rate! Aside from this, your analysis ignores that vast number of people who have not yet survived or died. Plus post #2.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,789.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Hey all.

So that's awesome!

less awesome.

Thoughts?
The numbers dead are undercounted for a variety of reasons:
  • Failure to recognise the victim had the virus
  • Attribution of the death to another factor
  • Delay in the progress of data through the system
However, they are likely within, say, 25%

The number of recoveries is undercounted for various reasons
  • Because of the exponential growth of infection and the length of time from infection to recovery, the majority of those infected are still in the recovery phase
  • Most contracting the virus are either asymptomatic or have only mild, or moderate symptoms, so that many do not even appear in the statistics
The undercounting here is massive compared with the undercounting of deaths,

Conclusions:
1. It is too early to place any accurate number on the death rate
2. Your calculation is flawed from start to finish

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hey all.

So that's awesome!

less awesome.

Thoughts?
Incorrect.

The best way to find out its mortality rate to count how many healthy people died from the disease.

Its not what they are doing. For, example: arsenic kills both healthy and unhealthy people equally.

What we are not having reported is how many of those who have died were suffering from other diseases that was leading to death. That is how the propaganda machine has been working, and some experts are now complaining that the reporting is unfair.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello rambot: We do not interact often since we generally agree on everything. I want to point this out, however: Do you not agree that, in line with what Dave G. posted, we need to account for the comparatively long delay in declaring someone recovered? Failing to do that would yield an overly pessimistic survival number.

Example: Suppose that 1000 people are infected on Day 1. And suppose that on day 14, they are all tested and come out positive. Suppose that on day 21, 10 of these people have died and only 20 have met the "recovered" criteria. One would think that, as of day 21, survival is only 20/(10+20) = 66%. But it could turn out that that all the remaining 970 people will all recover eventually. This would put the final survival rate at (20+970)/(10+20+970) = 99%.

And in fact, I would bet that, on average, those who eventually die, die sooner than those who eventually recover are deemed to have recovered - this effect would artificially distort the numbers to a more pessimistic conclusion.

And then there is the (newly discovered?) fact that quite a few people get the virus but never get sick. If you account for these people, the survival rate gets higher.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Recoveries take a lot longer than deaths, so comparing raw deaths to recoveries is going to be misleading when you have a rapidly spreading disease.
To be fair, we've gotten misleading calculations in both directions, depending on whom you listen to. The real mortality range, including all unknowns, is somewhere between 5.2% and 20.1%, as of this writing. The actual number will be somewhere in between those two. Flu mortality rate is only about 0.06% for ages 50 to 64, and 0.83% for ages 65 and older. Even in the absolute rosiest scenario the corona virus is significantly worse.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,404.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I think you need to check your math.

51,376/261621 = 19.9%.

So, of the 261,621 cases of COVID-19 that are 'closed', 19.9% of them have resulted in a death.

That puts the survival rate at 80.1%.
You used different numbers than me.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,404.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Ok everyone. Thanks for the clarity

Does anyone know what the working definition of "recovered" is for the purposes of these calculations?

I still the think formula is sound but that we have to wait a much longer time to get a clearer picture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The numbers dead are undercounted for a variety of reasons:
  • Failure to recognise the victim had the virus
  • Attribution of the death to another factor
  • Delay in the progress of data through the system
However, they are likely within, say, 25%

The number of recoveries is undercounted for various reasons
  • Because of the exponential growth of infection and the length of time from infection to recovery, the majority of those infected are still in the recovery phase
  • Most contracting the virus are either asymptomatic or have only mild, or moderate symptoms, so that many do not even appear in the statistics
The undercounting here is massive compared with the undercounting of deaths,

Conclusions:
1. It is too early to place any accurate number on the death rate
2. Your calculation is flawed from start to finish
Some people did not have severe symptoms and recovered at home.

A day in intensive care might cost $10,000. People without health insurance were not allowed in. Copays vary. More people stayed at home.

There are shortages of test kits and lab materials.

• Agree
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,789.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Incorrect.

The best way to find out its mortality rate to count how many healthy people died from the disease.

Its not what they are doing. For, example: arsenic kills both healthy and unhealthy people equally.

What we are not having reported is how many of those who have died were suffering from other diseases that was leading to death. That is how the propaganda machine has been working, and some experts are now complaining that the reporting is unfair.
Utter nonsense. I a healthy person dies from the virus, they died from the virus. If an unhealthy person dies from the virus, they are still just as dead, a condition they would not have been in had they not contracted the virus.

You are, in essence saying, an elderly person, a person with diabetes, a person with a heart condition, a person with a compromised immune system, a person with kidney disease, that none of the people count. Literally, they do not count, because you will not count them.

Not only utter nonsense, but shameful nonsense at that.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Hey all.

So that's awesome!

less awesome.

Thoughts?

Ignoring the science on this doesn't help.

For every "recovery" there's a likely 4-5 people who had it and didn't realize it.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Incorrect.

That’s a misguided approach to the data. It is critical to know who gets this disease and the outcomes. That can help define more specific risk factors as well as delineating factors the survivors have.

It’s epidemiology basics.

Upvote 0