The Wild West
✟472,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Does anyone know where I can obtain Coptic prayer beads? Do you say the Jesus prayer on them?

Thanks

I haven’t seen these for sale - to my knowledge Coptic monks either use the Agpeya and memorize it, or else in the case of someone like Fr. Lazarus el Antony, who prays the Jesus Prayer, a Byzantine prayer rope. Now, I have found at St. Anthony’s Monastery in Newbury Springs, CA, a Rosary (however, as an important caveat, it was in the guest house at St. Anthony’s Monastery which used to be a Roman Catholic convent before briefly being a Byzantine Catholic monastery, which failed, and was sold to the Copts).

@dzheremi and @Pavel Mosko might know for sure.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I've never seen them for sale anywhere either. Haven't been to St. Anthony's in Newbury Springs, but when I was at St. Shenouda the Archmandrite monastery in NY, to the best of my recollection they just memorized the Agpeya (there were plenty of printed copies for people that attend at the church on the grounds and pilgrims visiting the monastery, though).

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I've never seen them for sale anywhere either. Haven't been to St. Anthony's in Newbury Springs, but when I was at St. Shenouda the Archmandrite monastery in NY, to the best of my recollection they just memorized the Agpeya (there were plenty of printed copies for people that attend at the church on the grounds and pilgrims visiting the monastery, though).

Indeed memorizing the Agpeya is the traditional Coptic approach to continuous prayer.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I actually ordered the Agpeya and read it several weeks ago. Thanks for the recommendation. God bless
The idea is that if you like it as a rule of prayer, you read it daily. Of course only monastics say all the Psalms, in Coptic parishes they are assigned, so during the Hours a Reader or Deacon or on one occasion even me will go through and assign an average of 2.5 psalms per person which are read during that service, which takes about fifteen minutes.

The invariant Gospel lessons and prayers are all intended to facilitate daily use of the Agpeya.

By the way, I have seen Copts use Western style rosaries but as prayer beads and not following the prayers of the Rosary.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟240,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
The idea is that if you like it as a rule of prayer, you read it daily. Of course only monastics say all the Psalms, in Coptic parishes they are assigned, so during the Hours a Reader or Deacon or on one occasion even me will go through and assign an average of 2.5 psalms per person which are read during that service, which takes about fifteen minutes.

The invariant Gospel lessons and prayers are all intended to facilitate daily use of the Agpeya.

By the way, I have seen Copts use Western style rosaries but as prayer beads and not following the prayers of the Rosary.
Thanks for the information! I wasn't aware of this! :)

Upvote 0