Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...verses-during-lunchtime-has-critics-outraged/

Outrageous. A little boy shares the Bible verses tucked into his school lunch with friends, and the school administration sends POLICE! to his home to make sure he doesn't do it again.

Apparently, the boy was COMPLYING with the school's demand that he only share the verses outside school gates and on the public sidewalk after school. As many as 15 other students were showing up for the share. Apparently this was disturbing to the school administration, who sicked the cops on the boy anyway.

The school district is looking into it. Let us pray that the school is corrected, disciplined, and that the boy and his family are apologized to. Hopefully the Police are directed on how to appropriately address such requests in the future as well.

Last edited:

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The law firm claims that the notes were banned after a teacher caught wind of the lunchtime distribution, with the Zavalas’ unnamed son reportedly being told that the separation of church and state only allowed him to hand the verses out at the school gate after the bell rang.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with discussing religion during lunch in your off time if you are a student. When I was in school, we talked and argued about every subject imaginable during lunch and recess, etc. I think the school is completely out of line. To be clear, if an employee was doing this then it would be wrong. However, students should be allowed to discuss whatever they want to discuss...

as for the school calling the police on the kid.... The school should be sued over wasted police time and whomever is responsible for calling the police should be fired.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
it would be nice to hear some actual facts about this story, you know instead of "purported" "allegedly" "claims" "as the family claims". :wave:
tulc(knows facts shouldn't have any affect on "righteous outrage", but still, they are nice) :sorry:

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
it would be nice to hear some actual facts about this story, you know instead of "purported" "allegedly" "claims" "as the family claims". :wave:
tulc(knows facts shouldn't have any affect on "righteous outrage", but still, they are nice) :sorry:

I have no doubt this family was visited by a cop over this. What I don't know is who called the cops.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jun/3/elementary-school-sends-deputy-to-boys-home-to-war/

It is interesting to note that the media relations guy for the Sheriff's office wasn't aware of the visit. Could it be an off-duty cop just trying to help? The school's policy was broken, and when the family learned that they fixed what they were doing, so I'm not sure on that point.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I have no doubt this family was visited by a cop over this. What I don't know is who called the cops.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jun/3/elementary-school-sends-deputy-to-boys-home-to-war/

It is interesting to note that the media relations guy for the Sheriff's office wasn't aware of the visit. Could it be an off-duty cop just trying to help? The school's policy was broken, and when the family learned that they fixed what they were doing, so I'm not sure on that point.
The latest is that the district is looking into it.
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...verses-during-lunchtime-has-critics-outraged/

Regardless of whether the school called the cops or not (and I think it is obvious they did) the student's freedom of speech was violated. You don't have to be off school premises to talk about God. I used to talk with my friends about ALL SORTS of stuff at recess, from sex to God.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant many school teachers and officials are about church state issues. The first ammendement doesn't mean students can't talk about God among themselves. At recess, students can talk about whatever the heck they want, so long as they aren't bullying someone.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The latest is that the district is looking into it.

Regardless of whether the school called the cops or not (and I think it is obvious they did) the student's freedom of speech was violated. You don't have to be off school premises to talk about God. I used to talk with my friends about ALL SORTS of stuff at recess, from sex to God.

Well, yes and no. If a school has a set policy, such as this school did, then the policy should be followed. Once the parents figured out he was violating the policy about literature, they changed it up and then they were following the rules correctly. Students don't necessarily have the right to freedom of speech within the confines of the school itself.

Since the family complied and remedied the situation, there shouldn't have been any more intervention. And certainly, the local law enforcement didn't need to be involved. I can't understand why a cop would even agree to doing this - it's not their purview at all. That's why the optimist in me believes that a cop that meant well did it.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think everyone meant well. But "everyone" was ignorant of the US Constitution.

...or don't have the luxury of being an arm chair lawyer in the struggle to do the right thing while surrounded by people who hire lawyers at the first hint that a teacher is doing something they don't agree with? :scratch:
tulc(is drinking a very good cup of coffee right now!) :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
...or don't have the luxury of being an arm chair lawyer in the struggle to do the right thing while surrounded by people who hire lawyers at the first hint that a teacher is doing something they don't agree with? :scratch:
tulc(is drinking a very good cup of coffee right now!) :oldthumbsup:
OMGosh. what's wrong with people. This is a free country. You shouldn't have to hire a lawyer to enjoy the rights guaranteed you by the constitution, not to mention that they are inalienable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OMGosh. what's wrong with people. This is a free country. You shouldn't have to hire a lawyer to enjoy the rights guaranteed you by the constitution, not to mention that they are inalienable.

It's kind of cute you seem to think that actually addresses my point. :wave:
tulc(thanks for trying though) :)

Upvote 0

The Hammer of Witches

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jun 7, 2016
America
✟14,999.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
1359344808699.jpg

I am not surprised, this world is getting worse as we approach the end times. Be steadfast in the faith!

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
What policy on literature? And was the policy on literature legal?

That religious material couldn't be handed out on school grounds. The family didn't have a problem with it, either. It's not illegal. There's lots of things that can't be handed out at school. I can't had out religious materials at work, either. I can hand them out in the parking lot if I want, but not in the store. It's not a violation of my rights.

Please don't confuse this case with a violation of first amendment rights. It's not. The weird part is the cops getting involved.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
That religious material couldn't be handed out on school grounds. The family didn't have a problem with it, either. It's not illegal. There's lots of things that can't be handed out at school. I can't had out religious materials at work, either. I can hand them out in the parking lot if I want, but not in the store. It's not a violation of my rights.

Please don't confuse this case with a violation of first amendment rights. It's not. The weird part is the cops getting involved.
Oh, I know it can't be passed out on school grounds. Schools are not free speech zones. You can't even wear certain T-shirts. But it is certainly a free speech issue to pass out Bible verses on the sidewalk outside the gate down the street. It's a no-brainer.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The school's policy is illegal. The school has no authority to keep students from discussing religion, of any flavor, on public school property.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The school's policy is illegal. The school has no authority to keep students from discussing religion, of any flavor, on public school property.

The policy isn't against talking about religion, it's about handing out literature.

Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
That religious material couldn't be handed out on school grounds.
We're talking about being prohibited from passing out literature outside the school on a public sidewalk down the road from the school gate. I don't think that was school policy, and it's quite illegal.

Upvote 0