Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I agree. I keep at least 10 bottles of decent wine (red, white or rose) on hand as a precaution against the sudden onset of dehydration.

One cannot be too careful. :(

OB
:):):):););););):D:D:D:D

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I like the powdered bullion and I have gotten the Chicken but have a hard time finding the beef. Maybe its the price that holds me back but it would be perfect with the lean beef.
Loved your post!

Thanks, I get mine from Amazon---I have no choice as I am wheel chair bound and do not drive. I have found it on Walmart groceries also. I've gotten used to less than great ground beef---Bad heart and I mix the beef with ground turkey, so I always try to get the beef base in there to oomph it up. Do try the little bit of anchovies---it surprised me. BTW, there are anchovies in Worcestershire sauce.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I've always wanted to make shepherds pie, as to the wine it might tempt me to much, lol. JJ, I never had a need for it and if Frys sells it I will try to get it. I am limited in stores I can go to.
Thanks for the addition, yummmmmmmm.

If you're not already a wine drinker I doubt that you'll be tempted. If you're not used to dry wines (especially reds) you probably won't like the taste of straight wine. Enjoying wine takes lots of practice.

You could also leave the wine out of the dish and substitute beef stock. If you use stock be careful about adding salt. Stock tends to be salty. The best test is to taste it after an hour or so and adjust the saltiness if you need to. Remember - you can add salt but its difficult to take it out.

BTW: when you use wine in cooking the heat evaporates the alcohol changing the taste and making the dish non-alcoholic. If you add alcohol to cold stuff (like bourbon on sugared strawberries :)) the alcohol remains.

OB

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My husband and I went to visit one of my sisters-in-law and she lives near a lot of wineries so one day she took me to more than one to sample some of the wares and by the time we got home I needed a nap, was a bit snockered.. lol

I'm not an alcohol drinker and have like zero tolerance to the stuff but it's good to cook with periodically..

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
My husband and I went to visit one of my sisters-in-law and she lives near a lot of wineries so one day she took me to more than one to sample some of the wares and by the time we got home I needed a nap, was a bit snockered.. lol

I'm not an alcohol drinker and have like zero tolerance to the stuff but it's good to cook with periodically..

I occasionally use wine in cooking. Beef Bourguignon is an example.

I don't normally drink during the day but I enjoy a couple or three glasses of wine with my evening meal. I try to roughly match the wine to whatever I'm eating. Since I eat a lot of fish, chicken and salad I tend to drink dry whites, but you can't beat a good merlot or cabernet with an eye fillet steak cooked rare.

OB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thanks, I get mine from Amazon---I have no choice as I am wheel chair bound and do not drive. I have found it on Walmart groceries also. I've gotten used to less than great ground beef---Bad heart and I mix the beef with ground turkey, so I always try to get the beef base in there to oomph it up. Do try the little bit of anchovies---it surprised me. BTW, there are anchovies in Worcestershire sauce.
I am in a similar boat and I am sorry if you are suffering. It is hard. I have problems with Amazon so I quit purchasing from them. I did not know that there are anchovies in Worcestershire sauce. That's interesting. Will that replace for my having to buy them?
I don't even know where they are. I miss your posts in the dreaded thread. A valiant effort. I admire your knowledge where God is concerned.
Thank you for posting in this thread.:)

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I occasionally use wine in cooking. Beef Bourguignon is an example.

I don't normally drink during the day but I enjoy a couple or three glasses of wine with my evening meal. I try to roughly match the wine to whatever I'm eating. Since I eat a lot of fish, chicken and salad I tend to drink dry whites, but you can't beat a good merlot or cabernet with an eye fillet steak cooked rare.

OB
I appreciate your knowledge of it even if its way over my head.:)

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If you're not already a wine drinker I doubt that you'll be tempted. If you're not used to dry wines (especially reds) you probably won't like the taste of straight wine. Enjoying wine takes lots of practice.

You could also leave the wine out of the dish and substitute beef stock. If you use stock be careful about adding salt. Stock tends to be salty. The best test is to taste it after an hour or so and adjust the saltiness if you need to. Remember - you can add salt but its difficult to take it out.

BTW: when you use wine in cooking the heat evaporates the alcohol changing the taste and making the dish non-alcoholic. If you add alcohol to cold stuff (like bourbon on sugared strawberries :)) the alcohol remains.

OB
My daughter often asks me if I serve food with my salt, lol. Not very often do I get too much salt but thanks for the above tips.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I was thinking about this earlier and maybe its your post that caused it, that maybe I am not getting a good grade of beef and that is why it has no taste even doctoring it.

o

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Since I'm actually cooking the meat and veg, the result can't be used for hamburgers. Cooked for long enough (an hour or two) and most of the veg 'disappears' apart from the carrots. The results can be used for meat pie filling, shepherds pie, pasta sauce, chili con carne etc.

Easy - goto your local bottle shop (liquor store) and ask for a bottle of the cheapest dry (i.e. not sweet) red wine they have. Tell them its for cooking. I can get a bottle of cheap unbranded red here for around $5. I will also buy a bottle or two of good red at the same time (one for the cooking and one for me :))

OB
One question when you get a chance, no hurry. Is there a way that you keep the hamburger from being just a bunch of little pieces? I like the stew idea but not the little teeny pieces of beef floating around. No bite size chunks of meat that I can visualize. Sounds too like it would be wonderful healthy cat food if it wasn't so expensive, lol.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
One question when you get a chance, no hurry. Is there a way that you keep the hamburger from being just a bunch of little pieces? I like the stew idea but not the little teeny pieces of beef floating around. No bite size chunks of meat that I can visualize. Sounds too like it would be wonderful healthy cat food if it wasn't so expensive, lol.

Superglue?

When you say "the hamburger" are you talking about ground beef generally. To me "hamburger" is a meat patty in a bread roll ? @JackRT used similar terminology in his post so I'm beginning to think that "hamburger" can be a US/Canadian term for ground beef (which I would call 'mince' or 'minced beef').

If you want to stick the mince (ground beef/hamburger?) back together again you're back to things like hamburger patties, rissoles, kofta, meatloaf, Salisbury steak, sausage rolls. There are heaps of recipes for each of these on the net. You could also try putting "ground beef recipes" into Google.

Each is basically raw ground beef mixed with a variety of spices, and other things, with a binder added to make it stick together, along with an 'extender' (typically breadcrumbs). The most common binder is egg. The end result is fried or baked and hopefully stays solidish.

Using a mix of ground beef and sausage mince (like ground beef but a much finer grind) will also give you a more 'solid' result. Meatloaf, sausage rolls, kofta recipes, for instance, often use a mix of ground beef and sausage mince. Beware of using sausage mince on its own - the results can be like a brick.

OB

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Oh, sorry, hamburger to me is any ground beef as in 93 percent, etc.
So you would cook it as a meat ball with all its ingredients and then put it in a stew? That makes sense. Once fried or baked as a meat ball would not fall apart in a watery stew.
Thanks so much. I haven't made stew in so long as stew meat is so expensive but this would work well. But then I realize saying that stew meat is probably cheaper then this 93 percent meat I bought. I guess I need to think things through better, lol.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Oh, sorry, hamburger to me is any ground beef as in 93 percent, etc.
My hobby is the evolution of the English language since it got its start in the 5th century. Little linguistic variations are fascinating.

So you would cook it as a meat ball with all its ingredients and then put it in a stew? That makes sense. Once fried or baked as a meat ball would not fall apart in a watery stew.

DON'T PUT A COOKED MEATBALL IN A STEW - IT WILL FALL APART. Meatballs should be eaten without further cooking apart from a little light heating by simmering in the (whatever) sauce you're using. Why would you put meatballs in a stew made from ground beef?? Stews need not be 'watery' unless you add too much water.

Thanks so much. I haven't made stew in so long as stew meat is so expensive but this would work well. But then I realize saying that stew meat is probably cheaper then this 93 percent meat I bought. I guess I need to think things through better, lol.

I'm not familiar with US meat prices so it's hard to comment. Basically cheap beef cuts need to be cooked longer to break down the tougher connective tissue. Slow cookers are good. I have a small slow cooker since I'm normally cooking for one. I bought it from the supermarket- it was cheap. There are two issues here:
Tenderness: slow cooking helps to break down cheap (tougher) cuts of meat.
Taste: depending on what I'm cooking I could add onions, garlic, bacon (salt alert) , red wine, curry, chili, various veg, canned tomatoes, mushrooms, beef stock (salt alert), herbs etc. - just like the ground beef stew.

Start with a simple recipe from the net. I'm not a fan of Irish stew but it may be where you could start. Beef Bourguignon is also good but a little more complicated (you'll need the wine).

After doing this two or three times you'll begin to see the possibilities of adding this or that and get a little confidence. Don't worry if you muck things up - I mess up regularly.

OB

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I am in a similar boat and I am sorry if you are suffering. It is hard. I have problems with Amazon so I quit purchasing from them. I did not know that there are anchovies in Worcestershire sauce. That's interesting. Will that replace for my having to buy them?
I don't even know where they are. I miss your posts in the dreaded thread. A valiant effort. I admire your knowledge where God is concerned.
Thank you for posting in this thread.:)

unfortunately, the 2 are not interchangeable. Worcestershire sauce has a bunch of other stuff with the anchovies so it has a far different flavor from just the anchovies.
I've had only one problem with Amazon, and that is not them but a driver. I* keep asking that my packages be dropped off into a cart that I have by my front door. They keep leaving it by my front gate. It is hard to get to the gate---9 times I've reported it. Every time they say they will fix it. It is just one driver that does this, apparently, he/she does not know English, either written or spoken, and it continues. For he/she says that is was dropped by front door--- can't tell the difference between a gate and a door.
I don' know which is the dreaded thread, there are so many of them! You can PM if you prefer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I was thinking about this earlier and maybe its your post that caused it, that maybe I am not getting a good grade of beef and that is why it has no taste even doctoring it.

Could be, check ingredients. Some will throw in beef substitutes, soy usually, even cellulose. If it says anything other than beef---that is the problem. I used to just buy chuck, and grind it myself. I could control the fat--might not get percentages correctly, but I know how much to add so hubby was happy with it. I just don't have the energy anymore. I would stock up on chuck whenever it went on sale below the price of hamburger. I don't think that happens anymore!

o

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My hobby is the evolution of the English language since it got its start in the 5th century. Little linguistic variations are fascinating.

DON'T PUT A COOKED MEATBALL IN A STEW - IT WILL FALL APART. Meatballs should be eaten without further cooking apart from a little light heating by simmering in the (whatever) sauce you're using. Why would you put meatballs in a stew made from ground beef?? Stews need not be 'watery' unless you add too much water.

I'm not familiar with US meat prices so it's hard to comment. Basically cheap beef cuts need to be cooked longer to break down the tougher connective tissue. Slow cookers are good. I have a small slow cooker since I'm normally cooking for one. I bought it from the supermarket- it was cheap. There are two issues here:
Tenderness: slow cooking helps to break down cheap (tougher) cuts of meat.
Taste: depending on what I'm cooking I could add onions, garlic, bacon (salt alert) , red wine, curry, chili, various veg, canned tomatoes, mushrooms, beef stock (salt alert), herbs etc. - just like the ground beef stew.

Start with a simple recipe from the net. I'm not a fan of Irish stew but it may be where you could start. Beef Bourguignon is also good but a little more complicated (you'll need the wine).

After doing this two or three times you'll begin to see the possibilities of adding this or that and get a little confidence. Don't worry if you muck things up - I mess up regularly.

OB
Thank you, I think I've got it now:)

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Maybe if you tell them you are disabled and you can't get to the gate and if they can't accommodate you you will have to stop shopping with them?
I will try to find anchovies, are they frozen or in a jar or...? The thought makes me want to urp, I've heard so much about them. lol.
Its interesting about the word 'chuck' the stores here don't seem to use it anymore. The only thing I knew about it was that it was a better grade of hamburger.
I was speaking of the universalist posts. I guess all we can do is pray for them. You were very good at combating their beliefs. I knew when they started insulting you that you had got the best of them.
I hope life will be easier for you. Stay safe and well from covid. According to a new thread there is no such thing, again, sigh.:prayer:

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Don't know where your post went on this one. #76:)

OIC, I expanded it and got it.

Could be, check ingredients. Some will throw in beef substitutes, soy usually, even cellulose. If it says anything other than beef---that is the problem. I used to just buy chuck, and grind it myself. I could control the fat--might not get percentages correctly, but I know how much to add so hubby was happy with it. I just don't have the energy anymore. I would stock up on chuck whenever it went on sale below the price of hamburger. I don't think that happens anymore!

Upvote 0