Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I like the powdered bullion and I have gotten the Chicken but have a hard time finding the beef. Maybe its the price that holds me back but it would be perfect with the lean beef.
Loved your post!

You know, I've been buying that "Better Than Bullion" too, and using that and stock (either chicken or beef depending) as im finding it makes for a lovely soup base... I like it better than the powdered for flavor, you should try it sometime..

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I buy fresh hamburger either lean or extra lean but I have no idea of the actual fat content. Of course it is Canadian beef so it is always tasty. ;) Like others above I use garlic and onion (dehydrated onion soup mix works well) but the secret ingredient is a generous dollop of Worcestershire sauce.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I thought it was healthier so then I can eat something I like better that has more fat. See my logic? Thanks so much for you input:)
That's ok, as long as you know what you're doing, and the fats you like are natural and aren't mixed with too many other things. But the classic switch, one which the Dept. of Agriculture and various diet gurus foisted on us for decades as we grew up, is away from fats and toward carbohydrates. And the switch Big Ag foisted on us is away from natural fats and to hydrogenated fats. The results can be seen by walking down any street in America and in our degenerative disease statistics. For me, it seems better to be satiated on the main course as well as possible, to minimize the need for sweet things. Perhaps you are well aware of this, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to recount it.

Upvote 0

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
upload_2020-9-3_17-58-53.jpeg
As the saying goes "fat is flavor"... and what you're missing is fat.

So add some...

Mix your beef with ground pork (50/50) and make Swedish Meatballs.
The Best Swedish Meatballs Recipe! | The Recipe Critic

That looks amazing:)

• Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟348,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It will add to the flavour particularly the tomatoes and dry red wine. It also depends how much veg you add. In a way it's a basic stew or hotpot made with ground beef instead of whole meat.

I buy mince in a 500g pack (about a pound). For this much beef I'd use:
  • 1 medium carrot - diced
  • 1 medium onion-diced
  • a quarter of a red capsicum (bell pepper) - diced
  • a few cloves of garlic (I'm a garlic freak - others would add less)
  • about a cupfull of leafy green veg
  • a can of tomatoes
  • about a half cup of dry red wine
  • a teaspoon of dry powdered beef stock
  • about half a cup to a cup of water (enough for the cooking but be careful not to turn it into soup)
By adding the veg you not only improve the flavour - you're also getting the nutritional value and it's all cooked in one pot.

BTW: You can also add mushrooms. Leave out the canned tomatoes and add the mushrooms towards the end of the cooking time.

OB
So in essence you aren't preparing the meat for anything like burgers as you are keeping the vegys from reducing down to a paste. So it would be for, as you said, stew. No wine for me. I wish to use it sometimes as it seems it makes food rich but I just don't buy it and wouldn't begin to know how to choose.It sounds really rich and I love rich foods.
I'd love to add mushrooms but they ae very expensive here.
Thanks again!
You all made me so hungry that I had a diet pepsi with the best oatmeal, pecan and raisin cookies I have ever eaten, lol.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟685,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

My dad growing up was in upper management in a prestigious company and my mom found recipes from here, there and everywhere to make at various dinner parties they hosted...

That was always one of my favorite leftovers to eat the next day... but wow it's rich! Lol...

I got my love of cooking from her... my great-grandmother even spent a summer with me when I was 12 to work with me in the kitchen, when she found out how much I loved cooking so that I was adept at traditional foods too..

So at this point in my life, there's nothing I can't make... It's my happy place in the kitchen. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟348,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I buy fresh hamburger either lean or extra lean but I have no idea of the actual fat content. Of course it is Canadian beef so it is always tasty. ;) Like others above I use garlic and onion (dehydrated onion soup mix works well) but the secret ingredient is a generous dollop of Worcestershire sauce.
I have Worcestershire sauce but I hadn't thought of putting it a hamburger mix, thanks!

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟836,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For me, really lean ground beef goes in a soup or goulash. If I can get it together with chicken broth, I will eat it. ^_^ Of course, chicken broth makes everything better. It's like magic. :)

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,010.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've cooked it as a pasta filler but it still feels like I am chewing on tasteless cardboard. Its not easily masked. I like what you have said in your last sentence. I just wish it was a different consistency if that is the right word.
Its curious to me that it has no taste by itself. I might have to add dry beef soup to really guarantee that it is beef, lol.
It's the fat that gives it the flavor you are missing. It's like a really good steak should be marbled with fat. There isn't any way to replace it.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟987,269.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
So in essence you aren't preparing the meat for anything like burgers as you are keeping the vegys from reducing down to a paste.

Since I'm actually cooking the meat and veg, the result can't be used for hamburgers. Cooked for long enough (an hour or two) and most of the veg 'disappears' apart from the carrots. The results can be used for meat pie filling, shepherds pie, pasta sauce, chili con carne etc.

So it would be for, as you said, stew. No wine for me. I wish to use it sometimes as it seems it makes food rich but I just don't buy it and wouldn't begin to know how to choose. It sounds really rich and I love rich foods.

Easy - goto your local bottle shop (liquor store) and ask for a bottle of the cheapest dry (i.e. not sweet) red wine they have. Tell them its for cooking. I can get a bottle of cheap unbranded red here for around $5. I will also buy a bottle or two of good red at the same time (one for the cooking and one for me :))

OB

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Since I'm actually cooking the meat and veg, the result can't be used for hamburgers. Cooked for long enough (an hour or two) and most of the veg 'disappears' apart from the carrots. The results can be used for meat pie filling, shepherds pie, pasta sauce, chili con carne etc.

Easy - goto your local bottle shop (liquor store) and ask for a bottle of the cheapest dry (i.e. not sweet) red wine they have. Tell them its for cooking. I can get a bottle of cheap unbranded red here for around $5. I will also buy a bottle or two of good red at the same time (one for the cooking and one for me :))

OB

Cooking is thirsty work.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟348,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
@Occams Barber
I've always wanted to make shepherds pie, as to the wine it might tempt me to much, lol. JJ, I never had a need for it and if Frys sells it I will try to get it. I am limited in stores I can go to.
Thanks for the addition, yummmmmmmm.

Sorry, I seem to have made a mess attempting to answer your post so above I tried again.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟987,269.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Cooking is thirsty work.

I agree. I keep at least 10 bottles of decent wine (red, white or rose) on hand as a precaution against the sudden onset of dehydration.

One cannot be too careful. :(

OB

Upvote 0