Cooking thread: Every message board needs one.

longhair75

Searching once more
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2004
omaha
✟157,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Morning.

We are spending this weekend quietly coming down from a family reunion that took place over last weekend. My home is not really large enough to host any of the events, but my food is almost always in demand. Last Sunday, I got up at 2.00 am, started a fire in my smoker and cooked pulled pork and brats for everyone.

Today, I am keeping it simple. It will just be me, the Incomparable Sunflower and our two daughters. The farmer's markets are all open, and I have fresh tomatoes, lettuce and onion so Taco's are just the thing.

I have a fire going in my Weber Kettle Grill, but it is a temperature test trying to work out how to keep a fire going at about 275f for a long period of time. I have been watching a lot of The BBQ Pit Boys on Youtube, and I just have to try some of their stuff. I am planning this for next Sunday:

So, what are y'all cooking?

longhair75

Searching once more
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2004
omaha
✟157,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, an update on my heat test. I usually grill on a Weber Performer Today I set it up using the "Snake" method which is placing a triple row of coals around the perimeter of the kettle and lighting just one end. I shut the vents most of the way and let it go. five hours later, I have 260f, and the snake is only half gone. Now, I know how to get the indirect heat needed for most of the BBQ Pit Boys recipes.

One gets tired of steaks, ribs, burgers, hot dogs and chicken. I am ready to expand

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,663,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What are your plans on expanding the menu?
So, an update on my heat test. I usually grill on a Weber Performer Today I set it up using the "Snake" method which is placing a triple row of coals around the perimeter of the kettle and lighting just one end. I shut the vents most of the way and let it go. five hours later, I have 260f, and the snake is only half gone. Now, I know how to get the indirect heat needed for most of the BBQ Pit Boys recipes.

One gets tired of steaks, ribs, burgers, hot dogs and chicken. I am ready to expand

Upvote 0

longhair75

Searching once more
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2004
omaha
✟157,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Next week I will do those short ribs from the video. I saw a really interesting Carne Asada recipe this morning. The Pit boys have a very delicious looking Steak Stew also. The possibilities go on. I am also gearing up for some Beef Jerky and eventually, home stuffed Italian Sausage. I can just imagine cooking my chili recipe low and slow with some chunks of Mesquite....

I may not cook indoors for the rest of the summer

• Winner
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,663,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah I've been wanting to try some seafoods and soups. There is all sorts of things to try. My husband is pretty excited about it.
Next week I will do those short ribs from the video. I saw a really interesting Carne Asada recipe this morning. The Pit boys have a very delicious looking Steak Stew also. The possibilities go on. I am also gearing up for some Beef Jerky and eventually, home stuffed Italian Sausage. I can just imagine cooking my chili recipe low and slow with some chunks of Mesquite....

I may not cook indoors for the rest of the summer

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
My son has become very interested in cooking and baking, so I've gotten him into my favorite vegan cooking YouTube channel, and shared a few cookbooks with him. We are planning one new meal to cook together each week.
So far, mint chocolate chip brownies that we brought to a pot luck where they were all eaten...no one noticed the absence of dairy or eggs, our best results yet for vegan baking, and then a tofu pad thai with a challenging sauce prep.
I don't know what he'll choose next!

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Tonight I just threw something together. 80/20 hamburger, seasoned with salt and cracked pepper, garlic powder, parsley, steaksauce, a dab of mustard, onion and green pepper, breadcrumbs and a little ketchup to bind.

Sorta a minnie meatloaf for 1.

I had macaroni salad with it accompanied by a few glasses of Cabernet Sauvignon.

Upvote 0

longhair75

Searching once more
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2004
omaha
✟157,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tonight I just threw something together. 80/20 hamburger, seasoned with salt and cracked pepper, garlic powder, parsley, steaksauce, a dab of mustard, onion and green pepper, breadcrumbs and a little ketchup to bind.

Sorta a minnie meatloaf for 1.

I had macaroni salad with it accompanied by a few glasses of Cabernet Sauvignon.
THis sounds tasty and inventive!

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
I can't imagine life without cooking outside.

I love It believe me but it is what it is right now.

I did marinate some steak tips while I was down near Cape Cod.

Steak tips are more popular in New England.

I used olive oil and IPA Ale, fresh squeezed lemon, worcestershire,brown sugar,garlic powder, parsley, paparika and red pepper flakes.

Marinated for 24 onions and then grilled. They were like butter.

Upvote 0