Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd like to hear people's thoughts on what the difference is between conviction and condemnation. A lot of people like to throw around the scripture, "There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit".

Now I agree that there is no more condemnation to us who are in Christ Jesus, but that does not mean there is no more conviction. So how would you describe the difference between conviction and condemnation? I have some thoughts of my own, but I want to see what other people say before I post my own thoughts.

:cool:

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I'd like to hear people's thoughts on what the difference is between conviction and condemnation. A lot of people like to throw around the scripture, "There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit".

Now I agree that there is no more condemnation to us who are in Christ Jesus, but that does not mean there is no more conviction. So how would you describe the difference between conviction and condemnation? I have some thoughts of my own, but I want to see what other people say before I post my own thoughts.

As a believer condemnation is when I feel that I'm going to hell because the enemy is feeding me lies that I have to do or not do whatever it is I'm feeling condemned about. Condemnation generally has me depressed, reliving the past, and comparing myself to other people.

Conviction shows me that HE loves me. He loves me the way I am, but there are changes that need to be made. He gently shows me any error I am walking in and the steps I need to take to change it. In His love I am given the desire to change and hope of overcoming my weaknesses as His Spirit leads me.

Condemnation brings death. Conviction brings change.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

turned around

Sep 24, 2013
✟2,156.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi,
This is a great topic. Jesus in John 16, played out the Spirits ministry to the world, and the believer. To the world he would reprove of sin. To the believer he would reprove of righteousness. Paul in Romans 8 made a shocking declaration, no condemnation for those in Christ period. Jesus on the body of his flesh, received all of holy God's wrath and judgement for the believers sin. The Spirit only points the believers to the finished work of the cross.

Grace to you.

Upvote 0

TasManOfGod

Untatted Saint
Sep 15, 2003
Tasmania
✟26,515.00
Faith
Word of Faith
On numerous occasions in the past I had raised the issue of tattoos being unholy according to God in His word and that they should not be promoted on CF. While never accusing anybody I was held up as dishing out condemnation and paid a price for something nonexistent.
What was really happening was that those who had tattoos were convicted of it and directed all their negativity towards me. I suppose it would be the same with any activity that people liked doing but God considers innapropriate and we spoke against it -their conviction was confused as being my condemnation

Last edited:
Upvote 0

turned around

Sep 24, 2013
✟2,156.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi,
Paul speaks of David regarding a time when the Almighty will not impute sin against a person. David referred to that man as blessed. The will not impute sin statement is a double negative. Under no circumstances will he impute the sin. The natural minded man quarrels with that. Supposing that its a license to sin. God forbid. No to the contrary its a avenue for the fruits of righteousness, to develop in the believer. The Spirit only points to the finished work of the cross.

Grace to you.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian

Neither one applies to Christians.

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Conviction is when one becomes aware of a change they need to make.

The next step being they recognize it is true and are either willing or unwilling to change.

Condemnation is thought accepted that criticizes for the need to change and/or:

Not changing.

Not changing quick enough.

Not changing in the right or best way.

The devil is tricky with the thoughts he gives that condemns one for not doing or being enough, and/or doing it "right", etc.

Upvote 0

Edial

Site Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Condemnation is a final judgment. This is it. You are toast.

Conviction is a nudge or a pull to go in the right direction ... in some cases it has some guilt mixed in it :sorry: ... always carries inspiration :groupray: ... always gives a clear direction what to do.:angel:

...in my opinion. :)

Thanks, :)
Ed

Upvote 0
A

Andrea411

Good question.

Condemnation doesn't have grace in it. There is the sense of no forgiveness unless "I" somehow atone for the wrong I have now perceived. I also think this is often a door to pride. It never seems that way but it it always comes back to us... what can we do to make it right and then, if we accomplish that, we get to take the credit for our 'good works'. (self-righteousness)

Conviction makes us appreciate grace and brings the knowledge that we are going in the wrong direction. That Christ is our atonement and that is where we need to go to make this right. IMO this is what makes us look at the work of the cross, why I am forgiven, who it is that makes me right because I can not accomplish that, it must come from Jesus

Condemnation is also what people do, while conviction is of the Holy Spirit.

God bless, andrea

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums