Site Supporter
May 1, 2015
✟64,572.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,
I want to convert to Orthodoxy. After a few straight Sundays of Divine Liturgy (previously had been going only sporadically), all of the reading of the past 7 months, and my first Great Vespers, I am certain. I am thinking of calling the priest this week, before Vespers, to let him know who I am, why I'm there, and of my interest in converting. I'm nervous about it, and I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what to expect... also, I have a question (well, many questions, but this one) about kissing the cross. Is this something only Orthodox should do? I have been leaving and not going up to the front because I'm uncertain. Thank you for reading :)

Antony in Tx

a sinner
Dec 25, 2009
Texas
✟25,560.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Actually going up to venerate the cross would be a good chance to say hello to the priest and even ask if he would have a few minutes during coffee hour. Also, staying for coffee hour after DL is a great way to start meeting people and to get a feel for the bigger life of the Church. Trust me, unless it's an enormous church (and sometimes even if it is) the priest has noticed you and is waiting patiently for you to come to him. You won't get the hard sell from an EO priest, it just isn't how we do it. My first visit was to a congregation of several hundred, and the priest asked if he knew me when I came up at the end. It was odd, because I, too, had a strange feeling we had met before, though I knew we had not.

Reactions: sparkle123
Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Etiquette for kissing the cross: generally you kiss the feet and then you kiss the priest's hand. But, seriously, if you don't know what you're doing, that's okay, and looking too much like you know what you're doing would make the guy assume you actually know what you're doing rather than being a clueless n00b.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You already got great answers, so just let me say - welcome to TAW! :)

Going up with everyone else - maybe hang back a bit so you can be last and have time to say a few words without holding up the line - is a great opportunity to ask the priest to chat during coffee hour or for an appointment. :) (He may not be able to speak to you immediately after the Liturgy - there are often duties to keep him busy for a few minutes - our priest usually needs 10 minutes or so to finish up, just so you know.)

Upvote 0

Dialogist

Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi all,
I want to convert to Orthodoxy. After a few straight Sundays of Divine Liturgy (previously had been going only sporadically), all of the reading of the past 7 months, and my first Great Vespers, I am certain. I am thinking of calling the priest this week, before Vespers, to let him know who I am, why I'm there, and of my interest in converting. I'm nervous about it, and I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what to expect... also, I have a question (well, many questions, but this one) about kissing the cross. Is this something only Orthodox should do? I have been leaving and not going up to the front because I'm uncertain. Thank you for reading :)

Actually, I'm surprised that the priest hasn't already talked with you (unless it is a large parish). Most Orthodox parishes are small enough that newcomers are immediately recognized and welcomed after the service. I would say do call the priest before the next service and let him know who you are and set up a time to talk with him alone personally.

My family and I converted over 5 years ago. I am sure by now you have lots of advice, but if you want to discuss my personal experiences please feel free to message me.

Upvote 0

sparkle123

Site Supporter
May 1, 2015
✟64,572.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you all for the kind replies! I get so much support from posting here. I talked to the priest (and a few members of the church) today, and we will be talking again in a couple days about my interest in becoming a catechumen. I did what was suggested and waited around a little after venerating the cross. Everyone, including the priest, was so nice that I forgot to be shy and anxious :)

Nikti, I understand what you mean about needing to wait. I went to my first DL five months or so ago. I met a convert couple who said they visited the church for a year before making their decision. All in due time. It definitely does feel like making a leap, but what a relief to have done it :)

Reactions: Nikti
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I Hate to say it, but I have been to plenty of parishes, large and small, where the priest made no effort to welcome newcomers. Hopefully this is not the OPs experience.
It would seem that was not the OP's experience ... thankfully.

Upvote 0

Abel Gkiouzelis

The Smile of God in your heart
Feb 25, 2016
Greece
Visit site
✟30,904.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi all,

Hi and nice to meet you! :):):) Everybody can kiss the Holy Cross and Holy Icons of the Saints!! All Saints loves you & all of us! They are our best friends!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm trying to think back to before being baptized, and the only things I can recall that I could not do were receive the Eucharist, and receive Holy Unction. Basically, one cannot participate in the Sacraments, but those are the only ones (in my parish) people line up for and receive. Of course, if Confession were handled that way, a person who was not yet Orthodox could not participate in that either. But that's about it ...

(Unless you go someplace really strict, like a monastery usually - where they require those who are not Orthodox to be in a separate place during the liturgy and/or leave at a certain point - but I've only seen that in monasteries.)

I also waited to join the choir, but that's not necessarily a requirement. I guess it would be up to the priest.

Upvote 0