Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟26,473.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
So I am currently unemployed and back at home. I have been applying for jobs and after a couple of mishaps, landed 2 very different job interviews. So I am now stuck in a place of uncertainty of what to do. Do I go back overseas and work in school in Jakarta? Or do I stay in my home country but move to the middle of nowhere and teaching literacy and numeracy skills to adults who may not appreciate that I am trying to get them employed?

Now both are very good jobs. Both will pay me well and start setting me up for my retirement (very important as I am getting older). Both are open doors at the moment. But... I need to make a decision. And I didn't want to go live overseas but I am not sure if I want to stay at home.

So my conundrum - would this be any easier if I was married and would this be a good reason to get married? I mean - I am going round this problem over and over again. Yet, I still don't have an answer and nobody is giving one. Yes, I know it is pathetic that I want the answer nicely written down in an envelope like they have at the Oscar's (maybe I will have a dream about it tonight). I don't know why I just can't simply sort this all out myself.

Sorry I am not sure if there is a question there but if you have any advice/wisdom/Bible verses/marriage proposals (lol ok maybe not the last one) please let me know.

Thanks

Evie1980

Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟26,473.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
He leads you in peace. I wouldn't go oversees without having peace about it. Do what your hand finds to do.

Thank you. I was reminded about God's peace the other day by a friend. Finding the peace of God is really important to me. I am not sure what to do but I have another interview with the job overseas this morning. Hopefully some more things will be revealed and I will get a better indication if I feel this is where God wants me to be.

Upvote 0

Evie1980

Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟26,473.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I then to think of adults as being more diligent in their learning when they take the time to go to a class.

I think I might have a hard time with your decision as I'd not like being in the middle of no where!

Lol! My dad was less than impressed when I said I had a job opportunity in the middle of nowhere. The look on his face was priceless. He would rather I go to Jakarta (but I think that is because he would love to visit). The job with adults is that they have to be there by law to receive their benefits from the government. I am not sure about it.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Ya, if the law is requiring them to be there, then I'm with you that they will just put their time in for the most part.
Once you know the material ... you may find a way to make the presentation engaging. Would double our prep work for sure.

Upvote 0

Evie1980

Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟26,473.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Ya, if the law is requiring them to be there, then I'm with you that they will just put their time in for the most part.
Once you know the material ... you may find a way to make the presentation engaging. Would double our prep work for sure.

That is the difficulty. I am not sure what the end game would be in that job. It is a huge risk but then so is the other one. I am not sure if I will go ahead with it. I guess I can choose not to go ahead with either of them if I am that uncertain about it all. *sigh* I will keep praying about it all. Hopefully everything will become clear for me soon.

Upvote 0

AnneY

Aug 19, 2015
Midwest
✟123,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Here's my take: I'm currently teaching someone who doesn't want to be taught, but is required to be there. It's extremely frustrating. After the class I'm left discouraged, but continue because the student is worth it and I think she will eventually come around and start doing right. Honestly I wouldn't be able to do it if it was everyday (only one day a week for one hour), and the class consisted of more than one disinterested student. For this reason alone, I would suggest moving to Jakarta. Of course I suggest this without knowing the type of class or students you would be teaching there. For me, personally, I wouldn't want to teach a class full of disinterested students no matter how well it payed. I'd rather move overseas, especially if I already had previous experience in that country. (oh, wait, I totally did that! haha! don't regret it a bit.)

Reactions: Evie1980
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Why would this decision be easier if you were married? Then you would have to make the decision based on so many more variables and "the best" option might not be based on what is truly best for you alone but rather is best when you figure in his job opportunities too.

There isn't a right or wrong answer here. However, I'd make my decision based on what feels best for you and not what everyone else says because they don't have to live with the consequences. Pick the one that seems most beneficially to you. The criteria that makes each one of us happy is very individual and unique.

and out of curiosity, do you have someone who is currently wanting to get married to you ... and how did that even work itself into the equation?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Evie1980

Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟26,473.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Why would this decision be easier if you were married? Then you would have to make the decision based on so many more variables and "the best" option might not be based on what is truly best for you alone but rather is best when you figure in his job opportunities too.

There isn't a right or wrong answer here. However, I'd make my decision based on what feels best for you and not what everyone else says because they don't have to live with the consequences. Pick the one that seems most beneficially to you. The criteria that makes each one of us happy is very individual and unique.

and out of curiosity, do you have someone who is currently wanting to get married to you ... and how did that even work itself into the equation?

Hey Black Ribbon,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I was being rather silly when I wrote it. Of course I know that the decision would not be easier if I was married. I just wanted someone else to make the decision for me. I was just a little frustrated and was in a conundrum. I am hoping that it is sorted out now but it took a lot of self reflection and discussion with a number of people. I kept it constantly in prayer and allowed God to direct my path.

Blessings,

PS no, there is no husband on the horizon for me. I keep that in prayer too. And it came into the equation because I, like many other people, always think that "the grass is greener on the other side" but I know in reality that it is not true.

Upvote 0

Evie1980

Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟26,473.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Here's my take: I'm currently teaching someone who doesn't want to be taught, but is required to be there. It's extremely frustrating. After the class I'm left discouraged, but continue because the student is worth it and I think she will eventually come around and start doing right. Honestly I wouldn't be able to do it if it was everyday (only one day a week for one hour), and the class consisted of more than one disinterested student. For this reason alone, I would suggest moving to Jakarta. Of course I suggest this without knowing the type of class or students you would be teaching there. For me, personally, I wouldn't want to teach a class full of disinterested students no matter how well it payed. I'd rather move overseas, especially if I already had previous experience in that country. (oh, wait, I totally did that! haha! don't regret it a bit.)

Thank you AnneY for the honest reply. After careful consideration, I realised that I just love teaching children. Teaching adults was not what I had planned to do with my life so when the opportunity came up I was so unsure. But I believe that I am making the right decision.

Blessings

Upvote 0

Evie1980

Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟26,473.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Hey, I understand your stress, but do take a moment to appreciate yourself and your accomplishments that got you TWO job interests. Way to go!

Prayers for you,
a

Thank you for understanding me! And thank you for the change of perspective. It was really a blessing to have 2 amazing opportunities. I think that I will head to Jakarta. It is an amazing experience. I declined the other job. They were very sweet and understanding. I was thankful for that as well.

Blessings

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Evie1980

Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟26,473.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I would be very careful in Jakarta. They do like to kill us Christians there, especially women. And Indonesia is also known for luring women there, then they disappear.

I have never really heard of this in Jakarta but I do know that some of the other islands of Indonesia are not so open to Christianity. I have found some international churches there so I am praying that the Lord's protective hand will be upon me. It isn't the first country I have moved to as a single female so I am aware of the many problems/difficulties I may face. Thanks for the concern.

Upvote 0

William67

Sep 26, 2014
✟31,464.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have never really heard of this in Jakarta but I do know that some of the other islands of Indonesia are not so open to Christianity. I have found some international churches there so I am praying that the Lord's protective hand will be upon me. It isn't the first country I have moved to as a single female so I am aware of the many problems/difficulties I may face. Thanks for the concern.

Ive been stabbed and shot. This has created a...different mindset than most people. I trust no one except close family. In the military they call it situational awareness. If I'm more than a few hundred yards from my home, I am always on alert. This has kept me alive in some really hairy situations. May God protect you.

Upvote 0