Contribute to Cosmic Ray research (including Dark Matter research)

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
Anyone who has an Android mobile phone and would like to contribute to dark matter research has been invited to join the Cosmic Ray Extremely Distributed Observatory (CREDO) Project by downloading the CREDO app to their mobile and running it overnight while their mobile is charging.

The idea is that the camera sensor on modern phones is a good detector of cosmic rays, and cosmic rays can tell us about what's happening in space, including particle interactions and decays. By running this app on mobiles around the world, we get a cosmic ray detector the size of the planet, which is much better than a small one...

I ran it last night on my mobile and recorded 10 CR detections.

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,188.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Anyone who has an Android mobile phone and would like to contribute to dark matter research has been invited to join the Cosmic Ray Extremely Distributed Observatory (CREDO) Project by downloading the CREDO app to their mobile and running it overnight while their mobile is charging.

The idea is that the camera sensor on modern phones is a good detector of cosmic rays, and cosmic rays can tell us about what's happening in space, including particle interactions and decays. By running this app on mobiles around the world, we get a cosmic ray detector the size of the planet, which is much better than a small one...

I ran it last night on my mobile and recorded 10 CR detections.
Im uncertain on how to use it. Should I put the camera up and lay something over it? Is it okay if I put the camera a table? What should I cover the camera with?

And how much battery does this use? Do I need to charge it all the time or can it last a few dozen hours?

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
Im uncertain on how to use it. Should I put the camera up and lay something over it? Is it okay if I put the camera a table? What should I cover the camera with?

And how much battery does this use? Do I need to charge it all the time or can it last a few dozen hours?
The app instructions give all the details, but they suggest doing it while the phone is charging overnight so you don't lose battery life and you can ensure the main camera is covered for a long period - for most phones just laying it down face-up on a table covers up the main camera.

The idea is that cosmic rays pass through the roof and the phone and interact with the camera CCD sensor. To detect such tiny flashes, the camera needs to be completely shielded from extraneous light.

• Informative
Reactions: Nithavela
Upvote 0

Justatruthseeker

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟155,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Don't support the Fairie Dust........

They have already wasted billions of your tax dollars in the continuing search for something that does not exist. 15 "null" results, to the point where they are now forced to search in the leftover "noise" hoping their doctored algorithms can produce some kind of pattern out of that random noise..... Like tuning your radio to a static channel, thinking you can hear your favorite song.

Don't fall for that money trap people.....

Cosmic rays won't tell you anything about Dark Matter.....

Upvote 0