✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
:frowning: This makes me sad.

A. The Holy Ghost is the third member of the Godhead.

1. The Holy Ghost is a personage of spirit and possesses all the characteristics of a divine personality (see D&C 130:22; 1 Nephi 11:11)...

Supporting Statements

“The Holy Ghost is the third member of the Godhead. He is a Spirit, in the form of a man. … The Holy Ghost is a personage of Spirit, and has a spirit body only. His mission is to bear witness of the Father and the Son and of all truth.
“As a Spirit personage the Holy Ghost has size and dimensions. He does not fill the immensity of space, and cannot be everywhere present in person at the same time. He is also called the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of God, the Spirit of the Lord, the Spirit of Truth, and the Comforter” (Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, 1:38)....

“The Holy Ghost as a personage of Spirit can no more be omnipresent in person than can the Father or the Son, but by his intelligence, his knowledge, his power and influence, over and through the laws of nature, he is and can be omnipresent throughout all the works of God” (Joseph F. Smith, Gospel Doctrine, 61).
Doctrines of the Gospel Student Manual, 1986, 2004, p. 11

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

1. The Holy Ghost is a personage of spirit and possesses all the characteristics of a divine personality (see D&C 130:22; 1 Nephi 11:11)...

Supporting Statements

“The Holy Ghost is the third member of the Godhead. He is a Spirit, in the form of a man. … The Holy Ghost is a personage of Spirit, and has a spirit body only. His mission is to bear witness of the Father and the Son and of all truth.
“As a Spirit personage the Holy Ghost has size and dimensions. He does not fill the immensity of space, and cannot be everywhere present in person at the same time. He is also called the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of God, the Spirit of the Lord, the Spirit of Truth, and the Comforter” (Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, 1:38)....

“The Holy Ghost as a personage of Spirit can no more be omnipresent in person than can the Father or the Son, but by his intelligence, his knowledge, his power and influence, over and through the laws of nature, he is and can be omnipresent throughout all the works of God” (Joseph F. Smith, Gospel Doctrine, 61).
This is simply not true, because I know The Holy Spirit. Whoever made this statement declares his ignorance.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
This is simply not true, because I know The Holy Spirit. Whoever made this statement declares his ignorance.
Would you be willing to express your personal knowledge what the HS is? I am always sincerely interested when someone uses the terms, 'I know'...

So if you would please, tell me what you know about the HS. Thank you, this is a sincere question.

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Would you be willing to express your personal knowledge what the HS is? I am always sincerely interested when someone uses the terms, 'I know'...

So if you would please, tell me what you know about the HS. Thank you, this is a sincere question.

Well it's Sunday and no reply

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Doctrine and Covenants 8
2 Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart.

Doctrine and Covenants 130
22 The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also; but
the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us.

Contradiction:
“The Holy Ghost as a personage of Spirit can no more be omnipresent in person than can the Father or the Son,
but by his intelligence, his knowledge, his power and influence, over and through the laws of nature, he is and can be omnipresent throughout all the works of God” (Joseph F. Smith, Gospel Doctrine, 61).

There are Mormons in places around the world. The Mormons say that God is not omnipresent. That "personage of spirit" can't dwell in more than one heart.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

Supporting Statements

Doctrines of the Gospel Student Manual, 1986, 2004, p. 11[/QUOTE]

How in the world in any religious statement could you be sad that the HS
1) is the 3rd member of the Godhead. (which it is)
2) is a personage of spirit (which it is)
3) possesses all the characteristics of a divine personality (which it does)

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Doctrine and Covenants 8
2 Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart.

22 The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also; but
the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us.

Contradiction:
“The Holy Ghost as a personage of Spirit can no more be omnipresent in person than can the Father or the Son,
but by his intelligence, his knowledge, his power and influence, over and through the laws of nature, he is and can be omnipresent throughout all the works of God” (Joseph F. Smith, Gospel Doctrine, 61).

You think it is sad that the HS by his intelligence, his knowledge, his power and influence, over and through the laws of nature, he is and can be omnipresent throughout all the works of God. You think that is a sad expression of how the HS is omipresent?

You think it is sad that the HS is made up of spirit only. Were it not so, the HG could not dwell in us. You are sad to know that the HS is a spirit, and because of this he can dwell in you?

Now it would be sad if we said the HS had a body of flesh and bone and that somehow his body could callapse so small that he can go through your tear duct and dwell in your body. That would be a sad statement. Is it good that he is a spirit? Or would you like him to have some sort of flesh body?[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The problem is Phoebee hasn't post all the information but only selected portions.

Yes we believe that God the Father and God the Son have glorified physical bodies, Joseph Smith saw them as did Stephen in the New Testament. However the word is 'glorified' meaning filled with light, this light is so intense mortal men can not look upon them unless the Spirit comes upon them first. Paul was blinded by the light.

This is from our Doctrine and Covenants sec 88

11 And the light which shineth, which giveth you light, is through him who enlighteneth your eyes, which is the same light that quickeneth your understandings;

12 Which light proceedeth forth from the presence of God to fill the immensity of space—

13 The light which is in all things, which giveth life to all things, which is the law by which all things are governed, even the power of God who sitteth upon his throne, who is in the bosom of eternity, who is in the midst of all things.

In this sense God fills the universe and can be in all places at all times. However he also fills a single place where He dwells. He has hands to wipe away our tears, and in the last day we will dwell with him and see him.

The Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost is a personage of spirit which has substance, he is not immaterial. He has the shape of a man and some Mormons believe that at the end of this earth's fallen existence He too will take on a physical body, but it will be a perfect body like the one Adam had before he fell and became mortal. That is a little speculation though since it has not been revealed at this time.

Part of this idea of 'God having to be everywhere at once' comes from mankind's own limited nature. Just 50 years ago we couldn't see into the next room let alone know what was happening on the other side of the universe. But now we can, I can be at a movie and see what is happening at home through the magic of cameras. We can watch the universe and see stars we never imagined were there before. If little old mortal man can create these wonders then think how much more God can do with all the powers and knowledge of the universe.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The problem is Phoebee hasn't post all the information but only selected portions.

The fact that I don't post ten paragraphs or whole sections from the Doctrine and Covenants is not an issue at all. This thread is about Mormon contradictions concerning the Holy Ghost. Don't you understand what the topic is?

Yes we believe that God the Father and God the Son have glorified physical bodies, Joseph Smith saw them as did Stephen in the New Testament.

That isn't the topic of the thread. The thread is about Mormon contradictions regarding the Holy Ghost. Please address the topic.

However the word is 'glorified' meaning filled with light, this light is so intense mortal men can not look upon them unless the Spirit comes upon them first.

This off-topic and is not biblical. We aren't discussing glorified bodies.

Paul was blinded by the light.

Off-topic.

This is from our Doctrine and Covenants sec 88

11 And the light which shineth, which giveth you light, is through him who enlighteneth your eyes, which is the same light that quickeneth your understandings;

12 Which light proceedeth forth from the presence of God to fill the immensity of space—

13 The light which is in all things, which giveth life to all things, which is the law by which all things are governed, even the power of God who sitteth upon his throne, who is in the bosom of eternity, who is in the midst of all things.

In this sense God fills the universe and can be in all places at all times. However he also fills a single place where He dwells. He has hands to wipe away our tears, and in the last day we will dwell with him and see him.

Which god are you talking about? How busy are his hands? Who is wiping his tears away? If all your gods are equal with him, then he too must have tears.

The Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost is a personage of spirit which has substance, he is not immaterial. He has the shape of a man and some Mormons believe that at the end of this earth's fallen existence He too will take on a physical body, but it will be a perfect body like the one Adam had before he fell and became mortal. That is a little speculation though since it has not been revealed at this time.

The thread is about contradicting Mormon statements regarding that "personage" as you call it.

Part of this idea of 'God having to be everywhere at once' comes from mankind's own limited nature. Just 50 years ago we couldn't see into the next room let alone know what was happening on the other side of the universe. But now we can, I can be at a movie and see what is happening at home through the magic of cameras. We can watch the universe and see stars we never imagined were there before. If little old mortal man can create these wonders then think how much more God can do with all the powers and knowledge of the universe.

That is also totally off-topic. Please address the contradictions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The fact that I don't post ten paragraphs or whole sections from the Doctrine and Covenants is not an issue at all. This thread is about Mormon contradictions concerning the Holy Ghost. Don't you understand what the topic is?

That isn't the topic of the thread. The thread is about Mormon contradictions regarding the Holy Ghost. Please address the topic.

This off-topic and is not biblical. We aren't discussing glorified bodies.

Off-topic.

Which god are you talking about? How busy are his hands? Who is wiping his tears away? If all your gods are equal with him, then he too must have tears.

The thread is about contradicting Mormon statements regarding that "personage" as you call it.

That is also totally off-topic. Please address the contradictions.

You gave a quote which said in part that God the Father does not fill the universe, so I gave an explanation of how we think of his light filling the universe. And I explained what we believe about the Holy Ghost. The explanations answers your question. There is no contradiction there if you have the whole word of God.

Editing; Because God the Father and the Holy Ghost are one Godhead and one in purpose they share the same knowledge and power. Because

" light proceedeth forth from the presence of God to fill the immensity of space—
The light which is in all things, which giveth life to all things.."

Then this is the light of the Holy Ghost also.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You gave a quote which said in part that God the Father does not fill the universe, so I gave an explanation of how we think of his light filling the universe. And I explained what we believe about the Holy Ghost. The explanations answers your question. There is no contradiction there if you have the whole word of God.

Ignore the contradiction; I expected that.

Editing; Because God the Father and the Holy Ghost are one Godhead and one in purpose they share the same knowledge and power. Because

" light proceedeth forth from the presence of God to fill the immensity of space—
The light which is in all things, which giveth life to all things.."

Then this is the light of the Holy Ghost also.

We aren't talking about life or light or the godhead or their power. You completely ignored the contradiction because you can't refute it.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You think it is sad that the HS by his intelligence, his knowledge, his power and influence, over and through the laws of nature, he is and can be omnipresent throughout all the works of God. You think that is a sad expression of how the HS is omipresent?

I told you that the contradiction is sad. I also think it's sad that you ignore the contradiction and resort to telling me that I think things are sad that I didn't say are sad.

You think it is sad that the HS is made up of spirit only. Were it not so, the HG could not dwell in us. You are sad to know that the HS is a spirit, and because of this he can dwell in you?

No. Mormons contradict their own scriptures. The Mormon holy ghost doesn't dwell in Mormons.

Now it would be sad if we said the HS had a body of flesh and bone and that somehow his body could callapse so small that he can go through your tear duct and dwell in your body. That would be a sad statement. Is it good that he is a spirit? Or would you like him to have some sort of flesh body?

No point in commenting on those alien ideas that have nothing to do with the contradiction.

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ignore the contradiction; I expected that.

We aren't talking about life or light or the godhead or their power. You completely ignored the contradiction because you can't refute it.

please explain what you think the contradiction is because I really do not understand your point.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
please explain what you think the contradiction is because I really do not understand your point.

I told you:

Doctrine and Covenants 8

Contradiction:

There are Mormons in places around the world. The Mormons say that God is not omnipresent. That "personage of spirit" can't dwell in more than one heart.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think I understand, it is odd what we each take as literally and figuratively.

In Eze 36 Yahweh is speaking to the House of Israel at large;

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes,....

This is all figurative, Israel doesn't have a real heart, they are not a real body to put a new spirit into. It's an idiom. The New Testament writers used that idiom when expressing our individual relationship to the Holy Ghost and that has been pasted on into the Doctrine and Covenants.

*To the Hebrew the heart was the center of a man's thinking,

1 Sam 10:9 ¶ And it was so, that when he/Saul had turned his back to go from Samuel, God gave him another heart:

Saul did not get a new physical heart but the Lord changed his mind.

Luke 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

Rom 8: 9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you.....The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

We feel that the Spirit literal speaks to our spirits and when he does there is this burning within us, an overwhelming sensation which goes beyond feeling and one is born again we are changed we have a new heart.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
That doesn't address the contradiction. The burning in the bosom phenomenen or claim isn't the new birth.

To Be Born Again
by Theodore M. Burton

That is why baptism is called a second birth. Note, too, how the Lord describes the results of baptism:

“For by the water ye keep the commandment; by the Spirit ye are justified, and by the blood ye are sanctified.” (Moses 6:60.)

As to the importance of confirmation following baptism by water, Paul recorded that he found some of the Ephesians had been baptized in the same manner of immersion that John the Baptist had used. When Paul then asked if they had received the Holy Ghost, he was astonished to find that they had not even heard about it. He then explained: “John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

“When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus [not in the name of either John or Paul].

“And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.” (Acts 19:4–6.)

In other words, their original baptism was invalid, apparently because it had been performed by someone without proper authority, as evidenced by their lack of knowledge of the complete ordinance. They were spiritually stillborn, and the whole ordinance had to be performed again properly, in full, by one having authority.

Even if all the ordinances were carried out properly and with authority, we still could not be saved. The grace of Jesus Christ is also necessary. Mankind cannot be saved solely by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel. Only those ordinances coupled with the atonement of Jesus Christand conditioned upon obedience to gospel truths can bring us back into the presence of God the Eternal Father. Thus, through the atonement of Jesus Christ, together with the proper ordinances performed in the proper manner by proper authority and coupled with obedience to the laws and commandments of God, we can be saved from spiritual death and can be exalted to live in the presence of God the Eternal Father. That is why all three of these concepts—atonement, ordinances, and obedience—are mentioned in the third article of faith, which we accept as truth.

Let us return again to the symbolism of baptism as a second birth. John the Beloved knew and taught this doctrine, comparing baptism with a birth process that leads to exaltation in the presence of the whole Godhead of Father, Son, and Holy Ghost...
To Be Born Again - Ensign Sept. 1985 - ensign

Finally, in another usage familiar and unique to Latter-day Saints, the words saved and salvation are also used to denote exaltation or eternal life (see Abr. 2:11). This is sometimes referred to as the “fulness of salvation” (Bruce R. McConkie, The Mortal Messiah, 4 vols. [1979–81], 1:242). This salvation requires more than repentance and baptism by appropriate priesthood authority. It also requires the making of sacred covenants, including eternal marriage, in the temples of God, and faithfulness to those covenants by enduring to the end. If we use the word salvation to mean “exaltation,” it is premature for any of us to say that we have been “saved” in mortality. That glorious status can only follow the final judgment of Him who is the Great Judge of the living and the dead.
Have You Been Saved? - Ensign May 1998 - ensign

The question is frequently asked, "Can we not be saved without going through all those ordinances? I would answer, No, not the fullness of salvation. Jesus said, There are many mansions in my Father's house, and I will go and prepare a place for you. House here named should have been translared kingdom; and any person who is exalted to the highest to the highest mansion has to abide a celestial law, and the whole law, too.
Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 331

"I * * * spoke to the people, showing them that to get salvation we must not only do some things, but everything which God has commanded."
Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 332

If a man gets a fullness of the Priesthood of God he has to get it the same way that Jesus Christ obtained it, and that was by keeping all the commandments and obeying all the ordinances of the house of the Lord.
Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 308

This thread is still:
Doctrine and Covenants 8

Contradiction:

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
22 ...the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit.
Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us.

Why can't the Holy Ghost dwell in Mormons?

Alma 34
36 And this I know, because the Lord hath said he dwelleth not in unholy temples, but in the hearts of the righteous doth he dwell...

The Lord dwells in the hearts of the righteous --- which Lord?

Doctrine 130:3
John 14:23 — The appearing of the Father and the Son, in that verse, is a personal appearance; and the idea that the Father and the Son dwell in a man’s heart is an old sectarian notion, and is false.

So the Father and Son can't dwell in a man's heart? Why not?

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
22 ...the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit.
Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us.

Why can't the Holy Ghost dwell in Mormons?

Alma 34
36 And this I know, because the Lord hath said he dwelleth not in unholy temples, but in the hearts of the righteous doth he dwell...

The Lord dwells in the hearts of the righteous --- which Lord?

Doctrine 130:3
John 14:23 — The appearing of the Father and the Son, in that verse, is a personal appearance; and the idea that the Father and the Son dwell in a man’s heart is an old sectarian notion, and is false.

So the Father and Son can't dwell in a man's heart? Why not?
I wonder sometimes what critics think when they present this argument especially when it has been explained? God the father or his son or the Holy Ghost cannot literally reside in a persons heart. What in means is that the person is humble and teachable to the spirit. When a person comes to God with a broken heart and a contrite spirit it doesn't mean that the heart doesn't work or non functional. The person s taking off the old tainted body and bringing on a new body. Not literally. The person is open to change towards spiritual teachings and whisperings of the spirit for truth.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I wonder sometimes what critics think when they present this argument especially when it has been explained? God the father or his son or the Holy Ghost cannot literally reside in a persons heart. What in means is that the person is humble and teachable to the spirit. When a person comes to God with a broken heart and a contrite spirit it doesn't mean that the heart doesn't work or non functional. The person s taking off the old tainted body and bringing on a new body. Not literally. The person is open to change towards spiritual teachings and whisperings of the spirit for truth.

No, the Holy Ghost has no physical body in order that he may dwell in a Mormon (D&C 130:22.

Upvote 0