Canada
✟31,014.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Romans 2 seems to be talking about one's actions and how they will be the reason why we are judged. It goes on and on but...

"He will judge everyone according to what they have done" (Romans 2:6).

And in Galatians 2:16...

"a man is not justified by the works of the law."

What gives?

• Informative
Reactions: timewerx

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟296,775.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Romans 2 seems to be talking about one's actions and how they will be the reason why we are judged. It goes on and on but...

What gives?

Very good catch.

It's does looks like a contradiction at first glance...

But then remember that Paul also said that he adjusted his ways based on his audience's culture 1 Corinthians 9:19-23

What's happening here is that Paul is very likely preaching to different audiences between Romans 2 and Galatians 2. So he has to adjust his teachings accordingly...

So how are we supposed to treat this situation??

Use the other teachings of the other books (non-Pauline) scriptures of the New Testament to arrive at the final context.

If we do that, then Romans 2 holds true universally than Galatians 2.

On further note that Paul's scriptures aren't the last to be written in chronological terms. New Testament ordering of scriptures are not chronological. Chronologically, St. John had the last word on the Gospel and should be setting the context for the whole New Testament teachings (Book of John and epistles of John).

Noting in those times those scriptures were written, they didn't have the Canon Bible yet. So the last chronologically written would probably supersede the previous - if the teachings appear contradictory.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

What gives?
People will be judged by what they have done. Yes. The point is that no one obeys God's law to the degree that God's holiness and righteousness requires. God's law makes it clear what God requires. man's behaviour proves that he is a sinner. That's why we need a Saviour.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

What gives?
What is the contradiction?
Though we will not be justified or judged by our adherence to the Mosaic Law, we will be judged for how we line up to the law of Christ...ie, love God above all else and love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Paul contrasts two "systems": one "system" is the ritual observance of the Torah, and the other is being in Christ. The idea of the ritual observance of the Torah is what Paul refers to as "the works of the Law". The idea of being in Christ is what Paul refers to as "faith in Christ". As a means of shorthand, Paul refers to them respectively as "works" and "faith".

Paul is NOT contrasting "effort" vs "trust", or "earning" vs "receiving". He is contrasting being in the Torah vs being in Christ. The way one is "in the Torah" is by observing all of it. The way that one is in Christ is by baptism.

When we read Romans that way, as well as the rest of Paul's epistles, it becomes much easier to make sense of what he has to say.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟296,775.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Paul contrasts two "systems": one "system" is the ritual observance of the Torah, and the other is being in Christ. The idea of the ritual observance of the Torah is what Paul refers to as "the works of the Law". The idea of being in Christ is what Paul refers to as "faith in Christ". As a means of shorthand, Paul refers to them respectively as "works" and "faith".

Paul is NOT contrasting "effort" vs "trust", or "earning" vs "receiving". He is contrasting being in the Torah vs being in Christ. The way one is "in the Torah" is by observing all of it. The way that one is in Christ is by baptism.

When we read Romans that way, as well as the rest of Paul's epistles, it becomes much easier to make sense of what he has to say.

Or he simply needs to speak to different people with different cultures. Adapting the Gospel so that everyone will get the message.

Corinthians 9:19-23
Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wait, wait, wait: the works are not the ones which save us.

Perhaps it's a little clearer in Paul's letter to the believers at Ephesus:

Ephesians 2:8-10 (NIV)
8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

We are not saved BY our works, but we are saved FOR works that HE has prepared for us to do. The OT was also very clear: there are none that (even) seek God, no not one; ALL have sinned and fallen short; all our "righteousness" is equivalent to filthy rags. And Jesus himself said "without me, you can do NOTHING." (even literally, let alone in the meaning of "nothing significant, or of value in God's sight).

In both Romans and Ephesians one significant point of emphasis is that we cannot claim any right, or privilege, or even mercy, because of something we have initiated and/or done.

He provided for our forgiveness, our redemption, our spiritual birth; he provides the gifts/talents/proficiencies we have; he has prepared specific good works for each of us to do to develop and use those gifts (for the benefit most often of others); he has promised the strength, the guidance, the wisdom, etc. through the Holy Spirit, to enable us to identify and accomplish those good works, for the glory of God.

All things were made by, and for, the Son of God. He is the centre, the beginning, the initiator, the means, the purpose, the objective, the goal, and the finisher (and more besides). We are invited to be participants in HIS work. We are invited to His feast, we are offered His resurrection life. But don't imagine that "He doesn't care if we refuse to participate." In the parable of the feast prepared for his friends, the Host very definitely noticed the rejection of His invitations. But he didn't go out and beat them up for that - His "judgement" was quite different, more subtle, and probably with far more impact - he invited the homeless, the poor, etc etc., and raised them up higher in "status" than those who had been invited first .

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Or he simply needs to speak to different people with different cultures. Adapting the Gospel so that everyone will get the message.

Corinthians 9:19-23
Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

The context of Paul's epistles is the refutation of the Judaizers. When we read his epistles in that light, his meaning becomes clear.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
It all sounds very confusing to me. Hopefully one day it will dawn on me how this does not contradict itself.
Prayer and patience. Sometimes the Holy Spirit enlightens us as to the meaning, other times it remains closed to us for our own benefit. A saying from the Desert Fathers:

One day some old men came to see Abba Anthony. In the midst of them was Abba Joseph. Wanting to test them, the old man suggested a text from the Scriptures, and, beginning with the youngest, he asked them what it meant. Each gave his opinion as he was able. But to each one the old man said, 'You have not understood it.' Last of all he said to Abba Joseph, 'How would you explain this saying?' and he replied, 'I do not know.' Then Abba Anthony 'Indeed Abba Joseph has found the way, for he has said: "I do said, not know."

Reactions: YCGP
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums