✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hello.
From another thread, I came up with a question…

Could contradicting teachings cancel each other out in minds of believers and cause lack of passion or idleness? Or worse, cause destructive, counter-productive actions?

For example, I was thinking about
- “love your neighbour and preach the good news to all corners of the world”
- “this world is ending, perhaps any day now. there will be very few saved, the gate is narrow”

You are positively motivated for action only to be told your efforts might be all in vain as total global destruction is imminent.

You’re pushed and pulled at the same time.

Since we know that our mind is way more susceptible to the negatives than the positives, fear has stronger grip on us than love, could it be that such contradicting teachings best to be avoided?

For example, would you write to all churches in the world the following? “Stop teaching the end of the world Right Now! Start teaching possibly a 100,000 year future ahead of us! Every human being eventually hearing the true gospel by our hard work! The Christians one day comprising the 100% of the world’s population!”

Well, that would get you going, what do you think? Not that there isn’t verses that you can base this updated teaching on.

Not “it’s all going to burn” and “no matter what you do, a narrow gate is all we’ll have”… Such ideas are like killing the drive.

It’s like hiring an employee and telling them, “You’ll earn $100k a year but the tax man is arresting our accounts next Friday”… Would you be all hyped up about the $100k income labouring like a bee or rather sit on your hands pretending to be working till your next and only weekly paycheck?

So if we say in math terms.

———————-

Given:

Idea 1 = I1
Idea 2 = I2
I1 and I2 are natural numbers
Human Action = A
A = I1 + I2
Positive idea: + Ix > 0
Negative idea - Ix < 0
Neutral idea Ix = 0
where x {1,2}

Possible outcomes for A:

1) I1 and I2 both positive

A = + I1 + I2 > 0

Positive human action, its value is greater than each individual idea

2) I1 and I2 both negative

A = - I1 - I2 < 0

Negative human action, its value is lesser than each individual idea

3) I1 is positive and I2 is negative

there are two possible sub-outcomes:

a) If I1 > I2, then

A = + I1 - I2 > 0

Positive human action, its value is lesser than the positive idea I1

b) If I1 < I2

A = + I1 - I2 < 0

Negative human action, its value is greater than the negative idea I2

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrewn

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Could contradicting teachings cancel each other out in minds of believers and cause lack of passion or idleness? Or worse, cause destructive, counter-productive actions?
In the minds of some , maybe. But a better way to read what might seem to be contradiction is not "either this /or that" but "both/and".

Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
In the minds of some , maybe. But a better way to read what might seem to be contradiction is not "either this /or that" but "both/and".
Could you elaborate?

The thing is, if you truly believe smth to be 100% true and care about the outcome, you will most likely act on it. Unless there’s another idea that completely cancels it out.

I convince you my store’s going to have a great sale on iPhones this afternoon, 25% off. Better than ever. Then your friend convinces you there will be a sale on Black Friday 30% off at Apple.com and he works for the Apple’s sales dept. No rush for you to update your phone, would you come to my store today or wait till the better sale?

So, directly contradicting ideas (things that clearly cannot happen together, for example) make you make a choice to what is more definitive, final, powerful or beneficial. One or the other. Your mind is incapable to chose both as they can’t co-exist. You ignore the weaker idea and go for the stronger one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah... you know James speaks of a doubleminded man. In context of the passage, if you ask God for wisdom, but you do not believe God will give it to you, or if you think God will give you wrong information, or you think wisdom may come from other sources... then that is being doubleminded.
Faith that pleases God knows that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
Or as Jesus said, if you pray you must also believe that you have received it when you asked. To do otherwise is just plain doubt. So yes... I think you must be solid and hold one or the other position.
:wave:

Reactions: James_Lai
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hello.
From another thread, I came up with a question…

- “love your neighbour and preach the good news to the end of the world”
- “this world is ending, perhaps anybday now”

You are positively motivated for action only to be told your efforts might be all in vain as total global destruction is imminent.

You’re pushed and pulled at the same time.

Since we know that our mind is way more susceptible to the negatives than the positives, fear has stronger grip on us than love, could it be that such contradicting teachings best to be avoided?

For example, would you write to all churches in the world the following? “Stop teaching the end of the world Right Now! Start teaching possibly a 100,000 year future ahead of us! Every human being eventually hearing the true gospel by our hard work! The Christians one day comprising the 100% of the world’s population!”

Well, that would get you going, what do you think? Not that there isn’t verses that you can base this updated teaching on.

Not “it’s all going to burn” and “no matter what you do, a narrow gate is all we’ll have”… Such ideas are like killing the drive.

It’s like hiring an employee and telling them, “You’ll earn $100k a year but the tax man is arresting our accounts next Friday”… Would you be all hyped up about the $100k income labouring like a bee or rather sit on your hands pretending to be working till your next and only weekly paycheck?
Sure, any false teaching or wrong emphasis is potentially harmful. It is the reason why Christians need to check everything out for themselves. If we are not sure about a teaching, we should take no action on it until we are sure. We need to check out the whole counsel of God on an issue. The reason why prosperity teaching was so popular is that the teaching was unbalanced.

This passage was overlooked.... I wonder why....
1 Timothy 1:6
…8But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with these. 9Those who want to be rich, however, fall into temptation and become ensnared by many foolish and harmful desires that plunge them into ruin and destruction. 10For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. By craving it, some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows.…

• Agree
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
.....So, directly contradicting ideas (things that clearly cannot happen together, for example) make you make a choice to what is more definitive, final, powerful or beneficial. One or the other. Your mind is incapable to chose both as they can’t co-exist. You ignore the weaker idea and go for the stronger one.
Reminds me of the not serving of two masters. You will love one and hate the other. I guess trying to hold to two opposite positions is like that. One will overrule the other, and that is the one which will win out.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi- might I suggest reading/ teaching through books of the bible one chapter at a time. That way you'll receive the full counsel of God in it's context without it being weighted towards man's ideas.

The Christians one day comprising the 100% of the world’s population!”

That directly contradicts the bible:

Matthew 7:13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

God Bless :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If having contradicting ideas is a concern, I suggest studying the 6 elementary teachings of the doctrine of Christ as listed in Hebrews 6:1-3.
  1. Repentance from dead works.
  2. Faith toward God.
  3. Teachings about baptisms.
  4. Laying on of hands.
  5. Resurrection of the dead.
  6. Eternal Justice.
These are referred to as the foundations, the milk, the first principles of the oracles of God, and the word of righteousness. (See Heb 5:12- 6:3)
Down through the years I have found that almost all of those who promote themselves as doctrinal experts and heretic hunters are woefully ignorant of these basic teachings. How can one judge the doctrine and teachings of others when they are barely aware of the basic principles and priorities of the Word?

Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Yeah... you know James speaks of a doubleminded man. In context of the passage, if you ask God for wisdom, but you do not believe God will give it to you, or if you think God will give you wrong information, or you think wisdom may come from other sources... then that is being doubleminded.
Faith that pleases God knows that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
Or as Jesus said, if you pray you must also believe that you have received it when you asked. To do otherwise is just plain doubt. So yes... I think you must be solid and hold one or the other position.
:wave:

Great comment! Thank you.

So faith, yes, absolutely.

However, my premise is the idea is accepted, believed in.

If there’s no faith, then it’s basically a non-idea and can be ignored as it has no effect on human action

In the terms of a computer program algorithm, lack of faith is like a commentary symbol - it completely deactivates the operation in the code line.

If we talk about weak or partial faith, we need to introduce co-efficients, thus multiplying the Idea by the co-efficients.

If the co-efficient equals to 1, it’s 100% strong and sincere faith. If it equals to 0 it’s absence of faith and results in zero action. If it’s between 0 and 1, e.g. k = 0.35, then the action A = 0.35 x Idea , so we get partial action

Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God never gave us standards and requirements which were optional, but if we look around we can easily find churches and preachers who preach a different gospel, other than the one originally taught and it not difficult to find watered down bibles to suit our watered down teachings.

Much of the word of God is unacceptable to the many in these days, which we now live. The word of God is now regarded by some as hate speech and politically unacceptable. How many of todays people can even name the ten commandments. Perhaps not very many!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hi- might I suggest reading/ teaching through books of the bible one chapter at a time. That way you'll receive the full counsel of God in it's context without it being weighted towards man's ideas.

That directly contradicts the bible:

Matthew 7:13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

God Bless :)

Yes I agree that taking things out of proper context is dangerous

That verse….

Jesus is talking about His time, speaking to His audience. He never proclaimed this to be eternal or for all time.

He is absolutely 100% true in His assessment of the situation contemporary for Him. Not that the future can’t change, isn’t it why He came down to earth? To save all? There is a verse that says God doesn’t want any man to perish 2 Peter 3:9

God’s will! God’s word is never in vain and does what it’s sent for.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, if someone tells me to do something because the end is near, I don't think he or she will tell me that what I do will be for nothing . . . if the person just told me to do something.

Plus, God's word says our labor in Jesus is not in vain > 1 Corinthians 15:58.

So, if you use things God's word says, this can help to understand things correctly.

I think of this > as a Christian I need to do what God guides me to do. So, whether the end is near or not, I am always doing well by doing what God has me do. And He will bring His good with what He guides me to do, no matter how soon Jesus is coming, or how later.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi @James Lai,

- “love your neighbour and preach the good news to the end of the world”
- “this world is ending, perhaps anybday now”

I'm stumped as to how those two statements are contradictory.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hi @James Lai,

I'm stumped as to how those two statements are contradictory.

God bless,
Ted

My statements weren’t worded well and were incomplete. Corrected in the OP. Thank you

Last edited:
Upvote 0