United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
From my blog, which I will post here...

Lately, I have found myself trying to read whole books of the Bible in one sitting. This is a beneficial practice as it gives a full picture, fleshed-out view of the book you are reading so as to get a 30,000-foot view of the book as a whole.

In my last argument for an argument from a reading of a book of the Bible, I covered the Trinity in the Epistle to the Galatians. This article is in a similar vein as that. This argument I am making here based on the book of Ephesians looks at a select few verses from the book to present an argument for the continuation of the Spiritual gifts from the Epistle to the Ephesians. I don't expect to say anything no one else has seen before, but perhaps it will shed some light on the Spiritual gifts and why we have reason to believe they continue today. Though to note is that the Spiritual gifts are not mentioned specifically in Ephesians as they are in 1 Corinthians, but nonetheless, we can infer that Paul has these in mind when writing this book.

Onward to the argument.

Now the premise comes from the chapter of Ephesians where it makes the most explicit reference to the role of the Spirit in our lives as far as the Spirit's role goes. It is written,

Ephesians 4:1-3 ESV
“I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.”​

There are two things to note here. First that Paul says to "walk in a manner worthy of the calling." Now then, he explains what he means by this when he says, "eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace." So it is for the sake of the unity of the Spirit that the Ephesians are to live by. (Elsewhere in the book, Paul mentions a list of things that the Ephesians should not do including, to some degree, gossip about the wrongs that others are doing. He explains that these wrongs will be brought to light and more or less explain themselves so there is no need for gossip and so as such to live in unity by the Spirit.)

Next, we see this from Paul as it is written,

Ephesians 4:7-8 ESV
“But grace was given to each one of us according to the measure of Christ’s gift. Therefore it says,
“When he ascended on high he led a host of captives,
and he gave gifts to men.””​

Notice that Paul says, "grace was given to each one of us" and he backs this up with what is written where it says, "and he gave gifts to men." Naturally, this means that Paul's interpretation of what is written is that all believers in Christ have gifts and not just, as it is written,

Ephesians 4:11 ESV
“And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers,”​

So one might enquire what these other gifts are for, meaning, what is the point of these gifts that the Spirit gives to all believers? This is where it is written,

Ephesians 4:13 ESV
“until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ,”​

So again, the purpose of these gifts is for "the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God," (who is Christ). So then, these gifts are meant to add to the knowledge of the Son of God. This is an apt description of the purpose of the Spiritual gifts given in 1 Corinthians 12 as well as where it is written,

1 Corinthians 12:6-7 ESV
“and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone. To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.”​

So there is clearly a parallel to what Paul is speaking in 1 Corinthians 12 and Ephesians 4. The difference is the emphasis that Paul places in each of these chapters. In Ephesians 4 the focus is on unity and in 2 Corinthians 12, the focus is on what the Spiritual gifts actually are. But in 1 Corinthians 12, Paul describes unity as "for the common good" and in Ephesians 4 Paul mentions the different gifts as, "knowledge of the Son of God."

Next, we see as it is written,

Ephesians 4:11-12 ESV
“And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ,”​

So it is that the apostles, prophets, evangelists, shepherds and teachers have the role to "equip the saints.... building up the body of Christ." And this is done through a hierarchy to which it is written,

Ephesians 5:31-32 ESV
““Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church.”​

So just as there is a hierarchy between a husband and his bride, we see the same thing here in that there are a variety of hierarchical headships of the church called the apostles, prophets, evangelists, shepherds and teachers and all of these have the goal for unity in the Spirit where it is written,

Ephesians 4:16 ESV
“from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.”​

And this is quite a remarkable parallel to 1 Corinthians 12 where it is written,

1 Corinthians 12:12 ESV
“For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ.”
And so I may not be confused as if to say that Ephesians has nothing to do with 1 Corinthians, the same parallel can be drawn about Christ who is the head of the body as it is written,

Ephesians 4:15 ESV
“Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ,”​

And this is all tied together in Paul's understanding when it is written,

1 Corinthians 11:3 ESV
“But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God.”​

So what do I say in all this? If Christ is the head of the church, thereby being the husband of the bride so far as a husband is the head of the unity between husband and wife, then it is clear that the body of Christ, that is, the bride, which is in subjugation to Christ, then it is clear that for the purpose of this unity that the Spirit gives gifts representing different members of the body - that is, the bride. For if there were no different gifts making up every part and joint of the body, then we have no unity at all. So each member of Christ has a gift that fits into the whole of the body, which is the bride of Christ. Ergo, these gifts of the Spirit continue today just as the body, which is the bride, continues to do the will of the Father through Christ, who is the head and the groom simultaneously.

God bless you! Until next time!