Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Contemporary Christian music is shallow, not because they are trying to pass for secular music (we Lutheran do not properly see "secular" as problematic per se), but because contemporary evangelicalism is theologically shallow and often theologically illiterate. We are talking about a religious movement that was typically anti-intellectual for much of its history in America. Who needs theological reflection when strong feelings, and above all, convictions, will do much better at showing we are "true" Christians?

Whereas those hymns I showed earlier- they are modern but also rich with theology. So it can be done. It's just not going to happen by trying to ape the shallowness of contemporary pop music

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'm also an advocate for singing/chanting as much of the Liturgy as possible. Sure, the aesthetics of it are superior, but more than that I think it helps cling to us better. This is one thing I miss most about my previous church before I moved. My current church does a spoken liturgy, my previous church sang much/most of the liturgy. And it was wonderful.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm also an advocate for singing/chanting as much of the Liturgy as possible. Sure, the aesthetics of it are superior, but more than that I think it helps cling to us better. This is one thing I miss most about my previous church before I moved. My current church does a spoken liturgy, my previous church sang much/most of the liturgy. And it was wonderful.

-CryptoLutheran
What Lutheran jurisdiction (synod?) are you a part of? I didn’t know any Lutheran Churches primarily chanted / sang the liturgy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
What Lutheran jurisdiction (synod?) are you a part of? I didn’t know any Lutheran Churches primarily chanted / sang the liturgy.

I'm ELCA, but best as I can tell it's something that varies from congregation to congregation regardless of synod.

-CryptoLuthearn

• Informative
Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat

He is the ELCA, the same as me.

We do sing the liturgy on holy days, at least in part. It will vary from congregation to congregation. Some will, some won't.

• Informative
Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Where do you stand on contemporary worship music vs hymns/psalms and why?

In my youth, I was a vigorous defender of contemporary worship music. I saw it as true worship and hymns as more or less a type of dead formalism.

Now I'm of the view that:
1. Worship, thanksgiving, praise and even lament are good and Scriptural. However, not at the expense of edification and testimony of God's work - namely the death and resurrection of Christ for the forgiveness of sins. I feel like in our age the educational purpose of song is greatly lacking. There are many verses in Scripture about making music to the Lord, but I think perhaps Paul best summarises it in Colossians: "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God." - That is, an important function of song is to teach and admonish one another in faith, contrasted with, say, repeating "God I love you", which in and of itself is good, but suffers from individualism and is not very useful for people to learn about Jesus.

2. Closely related to the above, I feel like many contemporary lyrics are trying hard to be vague and neutral in order to pass for secular music. A lot of lyrics merely allude to Jesus without actually spelling out His name or the specifics of His person and works. (Even just a "Jesus died for you" would suffice!) I'm skeptic to vague lyrics as a tool for outreach. That is, I'm of the view that whatever means we use to fish with, eventually that becomes what we have to use to keep people in Church. viz. if a Church spends a lot of effort on social events to attract people, it typically ends up in a loop having to serve these same things to keep people interested. I think the same applies to music. It can easily fall into a kind of outward or artificial membership not formed by the Gospel and the renewal of the Holy Spirit.

3. I'm agnostic to the style of music. I don't think any one music genre is holier than another. To me this is a matter of adiaphora. Nonetheless, the older I get I do think there is something to be said for having music with a sense of reverence. Whatever form that takes, I think people can be their own judge of.

4. Somewhat on topic, I don't think secular music is appropriate in Church. What is often considered "clean", though it may not have profanity, is almost exclusively theologically challenging and inconsistent with the Gospel if you really consider the lyrics.

That's me. Not denying that I have a fairly strong stance on the subject, but I'm interested to hear yours. There may be things I haven't considered and I'm certainly not looking for any level of heated debate. What do you reckon? :)
I spent the majority of my twenties in an evangelical setting. One thing that wore out its welcome rather quickly was the contemporary worship. The music is generic, the lyrics are so vague as to border on meaningless and the entire genre seems so disposable to me.

Attending my first traditional Latin Mass, I heard Gregorian chants. There's obviously a musical quality to the chants and they're so much more elegant and beautiful than some Top 40 hit by yet another generic, forgettable CCM band.

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I spent the majority of my twenties in an evangelical setting. One thing that wore out its welcome rather quickly was the contemporary worship. The music is generic, the lyrics are so vague as to border on meaningless and the entire genre seems so disposable to me.

Attending my first traditional Latin Mass, I heard Gregorian chants. There's obviously a musical quality to the chants and they're so much more elegant and beautiful than some Top 40 hit by yet another generic, forgettable CCM band.

So thecolorsblend and a baby boomer agree on something close to my heart :D

I love to relax to music by these brothers:

Cistercian Monks of Stift Heiligenkreuz

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟573,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So thecolorsblend and a baby boomer agree on something close to my heart :D

I love to relax to music by these brothers:

Cistercian Monks of Stift Heiligenkreuz
If you have a chance, go to a place near you that allows outsiders to come and pray with them. It is through chanting that you start to understand why it is appealing. I used to sing in amateur theater. They taught us to sing to the exit sign at the back of the auditorium. This required breath support and projection. In most current singing, it is all about the individual voice and the technical proficiency of the singer. In chant it is being humble enough to subsume your individual voice within the sound of the group so that not a single voice stands out. I have chanted with several groups now and some singers never quite get this. In a seminary near us, they actually have a monk going around with a sign that says "Quieter" to admonish those who are standing out.

Upvote 0