Contemporary Theologies Forum suggestion

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The idea on having a space to discuss contemporary theologies coming out of the pulpit or just from the pews spontaneously for some reason sounds interesting. Sometimes it's difficult to keep track of them all.

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Do you have a time frame in mind for "contemporary"? For example, "books written within the last N years", for some N, or "books written by someone who is still living", something like that? Just so it's clear what the guidelines are, which theologians we're discussing.

I do like the idea. I learned about lots of theologians of the past in college, but I know much less about what people are writing and thinking right now.

Reactions: Deade
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christian Nationalism might be a place to start.
"Christian nationalism is the belief that the American nation is defined by Christianity, and that the government should take active steps to keep it that way. Popularly, Christian nationalists assert that America is and must remain a “Christian nation”—not merely as an observation about American history, but as a prescriptive program for what America must continue to be in the future."
What Is Christian Nationalism?

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Do you have a time frame in mind for "contemporary"? For example, "books written within the last N years", for some N, or "books written by someone who is still living", something like that? Just so it's clear what the guidelines are, which theologians we're discussing.

I do like the idea. I learned about lots of theologians of the past in college, but I know much less about what people are writing and thinking right now.
The timeframe for books could be within the past 5 to 20 years or so, (this can be decided at another date once more people are posting and are on board with the idea) one possible common posting theme that came to mind today was to post a link to a recent audio sermon and to explain what the teaching is, and what you thought about it.

Even if the teaching is similar to a traditional type of teaching, the contemporary spin might influence application in an entirely different way.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Christian Nationalism might be a place to start.
"Christian nationalism is the belief that the American nation is defined by Christianity, and that the government should take active steps to keep it that way. Popularly, Christian nationalists assert that America is and must remain a “Christian nation”—not merely as an observation about American history, but as a prescriptive program for what America must continue to be in the future."
What Is Christian Nationalism?
Christian Nationalism would be a good topic to discuss, not just for the US but for other nations where this is an aspiration among Christians.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I think we would need something more specific in order to consider this.
By the time new theologies are known, it's usually 5 to 10 years later for the whole body. In order to get a bigger picture sooner, having a gathering place for these theologies as they are being taught is preferable. This forum would be a general sharing area for new theologies, or new spins on old theologies.

One discussion suggestion would be to post a link to an audio sermon and transcript (if available) and then create a discussion thread to discuss respectfully opinions on the theology of the sermon.

Another suggestion would be to have a thread to discuss christian themed fiction or more academic works.

I don't recall seeing a part of the forum where this exists, so suggested it since it might be good for edification and understanding based on actual teaching.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
By the time new theologies are known, it's usually 5 to 10 years later for the whole body. In order to get a bigger picture sooner, having a gathering place for these theologies as they are being taught is preferable. This forum would be a general sharing area for new theologies, or new spins on old theologies.

One discussion suggestion would be to post a link to an audio sermon and transcript (if available) and then create a discussion thread to discuss respectfully opinions on the theology of the sermon.

Another suggestion would be to have a thread to discuss christian themed fiction or more academic works.

I don't recall seeing a part of the forum where this exists, so suggested it since it might be good for edification and understanding based on actual teaching.
Can you post an example?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
That’s fine. I’m in no hurry.
Hi, I was curious if it would be possible to add a section in the fellowship part of the forum to post links to sermons and to discuss them?

Not sure how "contemporary" would be defined after praying about it more.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
There might be a better place for that right now. I’ll have to look.
I appreciate it.

Perhaps the theology section since sermons can be controversial.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Just out of curiosity @Michael Collum how do you define “contemporary theologies” in a manner that would not transsect say, Liberal Christianity or Controversial Christian Theology or a denomination-specific forum (for example, Federal Vision theology is a recent development, but it is also specific to Calvinism, so it would logically be a Semper Reformanda issue). Most new theological concepts which are not Controversial e.g. heterodox seem to emerge from either Liberal Theology, or the Evangelical community, or the Calvinist theology these days.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Just out of curiosity @Michael Collum how do you define “contemporary theologies” in a manner that would not transsect say, Liberal Christianity or Controversial Christian Theology or a denomination-specific forum (for example, Federal Vision theology is a recent development, but it is also specific to Calvinism, so it would logically be a Semper Reformanda issue). Most new theological concepts which are not Controversial e.g. heterodox seem to emerge from either Liberal Theology, or the Evangelical community, or the Calvinist theology these days.
Actually, after listening to a sermon while contemplating this, I realized there would be no simple way to define this so asked if it were possible to add a section somewhere to share audio/video sermons.

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0