1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Contemporary liberal prayer book

Discussion in 'Scripture,Tradition,Reason-Anglican & Old Catholic' started by RileyG, Mar 6, 2022.

1. RileyG

RileyG Veteran

+2,044
    United States
    Catholic
    Celibate
    US-Republican
    A few years back, I saw a contemporary liberal prayer book on amazon that was essentially the daily office on amazon. It was composed by an Episcopalian layman who is involved with social justice. I am interested in obtaining it, but I cannot, for the life of me, remember its title or the author.

Does anyone know what I am referring to?

Many thanks!!

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Tigger45

Tigger45 Stand by Ukraine Supporter

+12,394
    United States
    Generic Orthodox Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Intriguing.

3. RileyG

RileyG Veteran

+2,044
    United States
    Catholic
    Celibate
    US-Republican
    I think there was a discussion in this forum about it at one point. I honestly do not remember who mentioned it.

4. PloverWing

PloverWing Episcopalian

+3,725
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
  5. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+17,187
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    I vaguely remember that conversation as well. I wonder whether you're thinking of some of Jim Cotter's works?

6. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+5,667
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
  7. RileyG

RileyG Veteran

+2,044
    United States
    Catholic
    Celibate
    US-Republican
    I finally found it!!!

It's Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals by Shane Claiborne. I was mistaken. I do not (think) he is Episcopalian or even an Anglican. I cannot find what Church he belongs to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+17,187
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    Oh, that's a nice one. I've given that as a gift before.

9. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+5,667
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    I think he is just sort of generic non-denominational. Part of the point of the book was introducing liturgy to progressive evangelical.

10. RileyG

RileyG Veteran

+2,044
    United States
    Catholic
    Celibate
    US-Republican
    Ok! Thanks for the response! :)

11. Jj49vr

Jj49vr New Member

+0
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I was in search of Common Prayer too. Couldn't recall the name of the author. Thanks!
    John 15:13. "Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends."

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
  12. The Liturgist

The Liturgist Traditional, Liturgical, Wesleyan, Orthodox Supporter

+3,167
    United States
    Celibate
    I have the book in question. I wouldn’t myself call it liberal, but for me liberal is something like the 2006 ELCA hymnal or the 1989 UCC Book of Worship, which we had, and which I once used, albeit with some editing (since the core of it was based on Devotional Services, the classic of Congregational liturgy, by Rev. John Hunter of the King’s Weigh House, which is now a Ukrainian Catholic Church in the square mile of the City of London, but before it and another Congregational parish merged after WWII). I do agree with @Paidiske that it was likeable; it seems to me to be a good entry level prayer book for Protestants experimenting with the idea of liturgical worship and the use of prayer books.

13. RileyG

RileyG Veteran

+2,044
    United States
    Catholic
    Celibate
    US-Republican
    Thank you for the information!

God bless

14. The Liturgist

The Liturgist Traditional, Liturgical, Wesleyan, Orthodox Supporter

+3,167
    United States
    Celibate
    Slightly offtopic, but one of the strangest prayer books in contemporary language I have in my collection is called Praying With the Orthodox Tradition, which given it has a forward by Metropolitan Kallistos Ware, one would expect would be a typical Eastern Orthodox prayer book like the Jordanville Prayer Book etc, but it really isn’t at all. It consists of priests prayers from ancient liturgical texts found in Codex Barbarini 336 translated into modern English and rearranged as a series of short prayers, grouped for morning, evening, night and also the canonical hours, so there is some redundancy, and no guidance is provided on which one to say, nor are any of the usual acoutrements of an EO prayerbook present, like the Akathist, the prayers for preparation for Holy Communion, one or more canons, the Psalter (rare, but some have it), an abbreviated text of the liturgy of St. Chrysostom or an abbreviated form of the actual hours, etc.

I really like it however, as bizarre as it is, and it is unusual compared to the personal prayer books of pretty much every church.

15. RileyG

RileyG Veteran

+2,044
    United States
    Catholic
    Celibate
    US-Republican
    Fascinating! I will have to look into it! Thanks.