Contemporary Christian songs ARE worship songs!!

ChristianSamurai88

クリスチャン侍
Oct 14, 2012
Pleasanton CA USA
✟18,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I remember back to when I became a Christian, and I remember the song that was played at that moment... The song was titled: Grace Like Rain
It was a song I will never forget... The moment that song played and I became Christian, it rained hard. The song is by Todd Agnew and it is a varient of "amazing grace." However I noticed, for many years I have only heard this song in church once... I came across an Asian Non denominational church in Palo Alto California, where they had played this song for a Worship night. This church is now my home church. I visited a church in Hayward California, however when I asked the pastor why churches don't play songs similar to Grace like rain, he bluntly said "it's cuz it's not a worship song!" I realized what my Palo Alto pastor told me, "all worship songs are, are praises to God and if it glorifies God, no matter what language or tongue, or new song or old, it is a worship song." I am in the midst of confronting this pastor and making my stand. If my church plays Grace like rain, cool. You can play whatever song you want as long it glorifies God. However don't try to catagorize what's a worship song or not. I'm saying this out of love.

ChristianSamurai88

クリスチャン侍
Oct 14, 2012
Pleasanton CA USA
✟18,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Welcome back! good to see you on the forums again! :)

Yes, there are variants of Amazing grace.

(How are your plans to visit Japan coming along?)

I'm good, I just am extremely busy with work and school stuff, it's nice to be back online. I will be going to Japan in the winter.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
What a beautiful testimony....and yes it is a precious song...i had forgotten about it...i'm going to find it on Youtube now and listen.....

yes, it's the lyrics and "intent" of the song that i gravitate towards, and a song like "grace like rain" is beautiful and gracious in its intent.

Thank you for your thread and your reminder, and may God's grace and blessings fall down on you like rain, sister.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm good, I just am extremely busy with work and school stuff, it's nice to be back online. I will be going to Japan in the winter.
Sounds like you have plenty to think about, anyway. I remember we talked about martial arts, tattoos and stuff; maybe you don't have so much time for them now.

I guess for Japanese, something about understanding Western music could include Amazing Grace, etc. Kind of witness through culture, so to speak.

Upvote 0

Starcrystal

Sheep in Wolves clothing
Mar 2, 2004
In the woods... was In an old church - was On the
✟14,805.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1970s..listen closely and don't automatically dismiss the music..If it wasn't for Sabbath in the 70s i'd have never known Christ..as heavy as it was waddling though weed and LSD and later Cocaine..with friends that werent friends (The pack) when I was at my wits end i thought of these words and other nati war and pro love words, and finally at age 23 Jesus came to me..I didn't come to him....he came to me..i was asking questions to the sky basically...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkmyZ8juZWw

Upvote 0

ChristianSamurai88

クリスチャン侍
Oct 14, 2012
Pleasanton CA USA
✟18,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
My point is, just cuz the song is in Korean or Japanese, or English or whatever, doesn't mean it can't praise God. Just cuz the song isn't to your "standards" as a worship song, doesn't mean it's not a song that should be played in church. It doesn't matter if the song is played on a guitar or a flute, as long as it praises God, it can be played. Just cuz I sing a song in Japanese, or Korean, doesn't mean it's less "edifying" than a song in English. It comes from the heart, and whatever "standards" people have of a "worship" song....should drop the mask and try new things.

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
When the Methodist redid their hymnal 20 years ago, they included hymns from other cultures around the world. The rhythms may have been unusual, the words different, the melodies unfamiliar, but the message, the praise, the intent were all very well known.

Upvote 0

ChristianSamurai88

クリスチャン侍
Oct 14, 2012
Pleasanton CA USA
✟18,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
When the Methodist redid their hymnal 20 years ago, they included hymns from other cultures around the world. The rhythms may have been unusual, the words different, the melodies unfamiliar, but the message, the praise, the intent were all very well known.

I wholeheartedly agree that the message is the same. Even if it's in another language, we are all one body

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums