Visit site
✟18,551.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
In my search for the religoin that's right for me I'm finding a lot to like about the cathlolic religion. I'm wondering though what cathloics think about contemperary music, particurarly in services. Is it wrong to want contemperary music in church to make it a little more exciting? are there any catholic churches with contemparary music? I'm just a teen searching for what God wants.

:scratch:

Metanoia02

Owner of the invisible &a mp;
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟20,203.00
Faith
Catholic
P.O.D. Cincy Warrior said:
In my search for the religoin that's right for me I'm finding a lot to like about the cathlolic religion. I'm wondering though what cathloics think about contemperary music, particurarly in services. Is it wrong to want contemperary music in church to make it a little more exciting? are there any catholic churches with contemparary music? I'm just a teen searching for what God wants.

:scratch:

Contemporary music is part of some Catholic services (Mass). For instance the Life Teen Mass on Sunday night has the typical elec Guitar, Bass , drums set-up. They play songs you would be familiar with from the Contemporaty Christian Music scene, Jar of Clay DC Talk etc.

But it really depend where you live. You would have to call around to see what the local Church has in the way of contemporary music.
Where do you live? Maybe someone here knows of a Catholic CHurch near you that you can check out to see what its like.

Peace

Just Checked your profile. If your in Cincy you should have no problem. Check out Xavier University, it a Catholic College. They probab;y have some thing you would be interested in and they can fill you in on the Catholic Church as well!

Upvote 0

DJ B.K.

But I'm Le Tired...
Jun 24, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio
Visit site
✟18,551.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Metanoia02 said:
Just Checked your profile. If your in Cincy you should have no problem. Check out Xavier University, it a Catholic College. They probab;y have some thing you would be interested in and they can fill you in on the Catholic Church as well!

NO NOT XAVIER:eek:! I'm going to University Of Cincinnati and Xavier are our rivals. J/K:p, I don't really care, I really just want to find the right church for me:pray:. Just thought I'd bring that up.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟272,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If I had my way, every Mass would have Renaissance polyphany by Palestrina, and similar superlative material, instead of dated, putrid hippie folk songs by the St. Louis Jesuits played on guitars.
0001.gif

But, that's just me. The "liturgical musician" (what used to be called an organist) at our parish, just rolled her eyes when she met up with me at the coffee urn after Mass one Sunday, and I said, "Hello, ma'am---I'm beginning a grassroots campaign to never have to sing another hymn that was written after 1960; can I count on your vote?"

;)

Upvote 0

Mephster

arete
Jan 30, 2003
South Carolina
Visit site
✟8,317.00
Faith
Muslim
Politics
US-Others
*snicker*

I know what you mean re: post-60's. I know my age does not show it, but the area in which I grew up.... was/is very Catholic. (Two national shrine/basilicas within 10 miles of each other...church on every block etc.

When people whip out the tambourine, I cringe. When I even SEE a drumset, my blood curdles.

I don't think that Contemporary music should be run out of the Church :) I do think that a decent balance should be struck.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Credo

broken
Jun 25, 2003
on a farm in Missouri
✟10,745.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Mephster said:
I don't think that Contemporary music should be run out of the Church :) I do think that a decent balance should be struck.

Decent balance, absolutely! I prefer reverential, booming organs with a beautiful choir singing classical, traditional hymns, many in Latin, as is the case with my church.

However, I have been to very reverent "guitar" masses that did not move into the "hippie folk music."

Then again, I've been to some masses where the "band" tried to make all the focus on them and their wonderful "concert" rather than the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

As you said earlier, it's not about the music, it's about returning to God. To me, holier music helps me remain focused on God rather than tapping my foot and singing along to modern music. I'm there to worship God, not to see a concert.

Sorry, just my opinion. Contemporary music is the last thing I would look for when returning to God for worship.

Upvote 0

Mephster

arete
Jan 30, 2003
South Carolina
Visit site
✟8,317.00
Faith
Muslim
Politics
US-Others
One of the priests at the seminary spoke on this when I was serving mass once. People were loud and rustling in the pews. He just started hollering... hehehehehe!!

"If you want to be entertained, go to the movies, go to the Sabres' game; Mass is not entertainment!"

The folks sure quieted down... sometimes I do wonder what people think "going to Church" means.

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
Music is such a beautiful tool that can help connect us with our Lord. It should not be taken lightly. Of course, you can't satify everyone's taste, but it is pretty clear to see the annointing in certain songs. Whether your taste is for classic hyms and organs, or for more contemporary music matters less than the effect it has on you. If a song helps bring you closer to Christ and encourages a deeper connection to the holy spirit, then it's good. the end.

Some of them are from Steubenville

holy cow, i remember stuebenville. I went there in '98.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.