Illinois
✟173,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is 43 degrees here, I was riding in the back of my friend's motorcycle where he went to put gas in the tank he accidentally pulled the lever and got gasoline all over the paint of his gas tank and bike. I got brown paper towels to help him clean it off, and I was using my bare hands but got enough paper towel so the liquid didn't soak through and get my hands wet.

My hands did smell like gasoline however, after he dropped me off I went home and washed my hands with soap and water. But my hands still smell like gasoline.

How can that be? Is there still gasoline on my hands even though I washed them? And how safe is this?

• Optimistic
Reactions: robinriley

robinriley

Jun 15, 2015
Port Orchard, Washington
✟18,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It is 43 degrees here, I was riding in the back of my friend's motorcycle where he went to put gas in the tank he accidentally pulled the lever and got gasoline all over the paint of his gas tank and bike. I got brown paper towels to help him clean it off, and I was using my bare hands but got enough paper towel so the liquid didn't soak through and get my hands wet.

My hands did smell like gasoline however, after he dropped me off I went home and washed my hands with soap and water. But my hands still smell like gasoline.

How can that be? Is there still gasoline on my hands even though I washed them? And how safe is this?
Ummmmm ... is this intended to be some kind of parable or something?
I mean, surely, there's some deeper, scriptural, pithiness hidden within this ... right?

I award you a "rainbow" ... take it as you may ... it does have a meaning, but not the one advertised.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟915,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

You didn't wash long enough or well enough plus try using a stronger type of soap.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It happens if you mess with engines. It’s no big deal. The smell does linger.

I’d try something from the link above, or one of my favorites is rubbing (“washing”) my hands with used coffee grounds if you have them. That gets most smells off for me.

(It can be dangerous if you have rags soaked in gasoline. But on skin after washing having a lingering smell isn’t dangerous.)

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It is safe in small amounts. But their are additives like Benzene that may have soaked into your skin, kind of like turpentine, and they smell. Some people will react to it on their skin.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟339,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is safe in small amounts. But their are additives like Benzene that may have soaked into your skin, kind of like turpentine, and they smell. Some people will react to it on their skin.
Benzene is naturally part of gasoline. It's best to avoid chronic exposure since it causes cancer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HatedByAll

Changed by the Grace of God
Sep 13, 2019
Southeast
✟61,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lemon juice seemed to work best for me.

The old white (beige) Lava soap used to do great as well, but I have not seen the white bars on the market in years. But, I have never checked online for it so it may be available there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0