• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Constructive Suggestions/Planning For Autistic Adult Independence

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I've brought the topic up before, but getting a perspective in regards to priorities and solutions for each of them feels like it will help immensely

1. Financial Independence-I'm working towards this with Vocational Rehabilitation, but also think I should really bring up SSI Disability (distinct from SSDI) for whatever potential supplemental income that will gather as I continue to seek a job

2. Mobility/Transportation-This is trickier in the solution would involve the use of a car and eventually acquiring a functional driver's license

While these are the major priorities so far, I feel like there must be more and would appreciate advice in regards to this.

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Call me cynical, but it's as if my parents just expect me to inherit the house when they croak (crude, but to the point), though at that point, I'd potentially be trying to sell, because I don't think I could manage the house by myself and roommate situation would just create more conflict without the right person.

I don't even know the situation with the house regarding things like the mortgage (is it paid off, do I even properly understand mortgage in the first place?), so it's even more frustrating that there isn't any sense of trusting me to do anything or have knowledge that would be of utmost importance if they want me to be independent and not just asking for help from others. And this is when they're dealing with my paternal grandmother being stubborn and intransigent herself, so it's as if they have tunnel vision in regards to the frustration I'm feeling that they aren't giving me any consideration about my independence, either because they aren't thinking about it or subsconsciously may not think it's possible, in which case, it's ableism that we have to address.

Upvote 0

NBB

Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟445,475.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I actually have similar issues, i live with my mother and my father supports me too
I guess i will need to find a job, after that having income is enough to manage other things that i would need to learn, having a job or a stable income is the important part, we can learn the rest, i mean how to do 'transactions' i don't know the proper word in english and etc.

(i have autism too)

Upvote 0