• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Constant talking and anxiety

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟235,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
It's so overwhelming and overstimulating. I constantly feel like I am not being listened to because the other person talks so much, they never hear me. It makes my anxiety so much worse.

How do you deal with this?

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟138,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Sometimes a relationship will consist of mostly one person talking. Then, when the quiet one speaks, the verbose person interrupts them, because they aren't used to listening. I've been there before. Sometimes you just have to push through that until they learn to listen. In other cases, they could be a narcissist with no interest in other people.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟235,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Sometimes a relationship will consist of mostly one person talking. Then, when the quiet one speaks, the verbose person interrupts them, because they aren't used to listening. I've been there before. Sometimes you just have to push through that until they learn to listen. In other cases, they could be a narcissist with no interest in other people.
Thanks for your response. :) I appreciate it

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟340,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's so overwhelming and overstimulating. I constantly feel like I am not being listened to because the other person talks so much, they never hear me. It makes my anxiety so much worse.

I have said,. "May I say something". It's a shocker so be prepared.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Turn around in the middle of your looking at them directly in the eyes or face as they are in the middle of talking/speaking and go off and start walking off to go do your own thing, or break out your headphones and stick them in your ears and start listening to something else in the middle of their talking and walk away, etc...

It's a non-verbal form of communication/message to them, etc...

Maybe they'll get it, or maybe they won't, but either way, it's not your problem, etc, just do your own thing, you shouldn't have to sit around and be tormented by constantly listening to all of their running their mouth/shooting off at the mouth, and all of their stupidity, etc...

Especially when they will not listen to yours at all, which is most of the time not stupidity, etc...

Sometimes I think I panic because I feel myself automatically getting dumber automatically, just by listening to all of their stupidity, etc...

So I'll just walk off or walk away right in the middle of their talking now, etc...

In my mind, I shouldn't have to put up with it, and so, I don't anymore, etc...

They'll either get it, or understand the point, or they won't, either way, it's not your problem, etc...

Tell them your going to go off over here for a minute and have a much more interesting time/intelligent conversation staring at/talking to this moss over here growing on a rock, etc...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟235,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Turn around in the middle of your looking at them directly in the eyes or face as they are in the middle of talking/speaking and go off and start walking off to go do your own thing, or break out your headphones and stick them in your ears and start listening to something else in the middle of their talking and walk away, etc...

It's a non-verbal form of communication/message to them, etc...

Maybe they'll get it, or maybe they won't, but either way, it's not your problem, etc, just do your own thing, you shouldn't have to sit around and be tormented by constantly listening to all of their running their mouth/shooting off at the mouth, and all of their stupidity, etc...

Especially when they will not listen to yours at all, which is most of the time not stupidity, etc...

Sometimes I think I panic because I feel myself automatically getting dumber automatically, just by listening to all of their stupidity, etc...

So I'll just walk off or walk away right in the middle of their talking now, etc...

In my mind, I shouldn't have to put up with it, and so, I don't anymore, etc...

They'll either get it, or understand the point, or they won't, either way, it's not your problem, etc...

Tell them your going to go off over here for a minute and have a much more interesting time/intelligent conversation staring at/talking to this moss over here growing on a rock, etc...

God Bless!

Thank you for your advice.

God bless

Upvote 0

jg23

Nov 7, 2022
Lake Havasu City, AZ
✟15,380.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sounds to me like you need to get rid of some toxic people in your life. Find people who listen, its difficult with people being so self centered and narcissistic but there are people out there who aren't. Try connecting with someone on a more than superficial way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums