Considering that ERETZ refers to "land"/"country", why assume GLOBAL Flood?

1an

Dec 4, 2011
✟48,487.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
No, thanks -- :)

It sounds as though it is a case of ignorance is bliss. Especially if you are a young earther because of what is says here, "As this coral transformed into limestone rock, over millions of years, the gap between the two reefs filled with weaker deposits."

People need to get real instead of living in a world of their own imagination.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It sounds as though it is a case of ignorance is bliss. Especially if you are a young earther because of what is says here, "As this coral transformed into limestone rock, over millions of years, the gap between the two reefs filled with weaker deposits."

People need to get real instead of living in a world of their own imagination.

And if I'm not a young earther?

Upvote 0

NailsII

Life-long student of biological science
Jul 25, 2007
UK
✟9,647.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I live very close to this place in the Pennines which are the highest in England, yet once it was under the sea but surrounding counties were not. I cannot explain it, I just accept it.
I live on the 'dinosaur coast', the rock was laid down in Jurassic times and several dinosaurs have been found here, including large predators and sauropods, but obviously nothing as big as the Americans have found !!!!
More famous for its plesiosaurs though to be fair.

While I'm glad that you accept the geological change, I would implore you to try and understand it.
To accept something without evidence and/or understanding is not a good path to go down.
Sure, there are things that are difficult to understand, like physics, but geological change is easy to learn as an outline of the general idea.
I'm no geologist but I can tell you a little about the local rocks, like how and when they were formed, and how a 200 million year sea bed now sits on top of a cliff.

There are few better feelings in life than expanding and learning something new, although I appreciate it can be time-consuming.
Time is a valuable resource in our lives.

Upvote 0

verysincere

Exegete/Linguist
Jan 18, 2012
Haiti
✟18,146.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I live very close to this place in the Pennines which are the highest in England, yet once it was under the sea but surrounding counties were not. I cannot explain it, I just accept it. Click on the youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=k6ZXUFFFlAQ

Sorry, but AV is adamantly opposed to exposing himself to actual evidence---whether scriptural or scientific---in an effort to preserve his cherished traditions. Many have tried to get him to read everything from textbooks to published articles to websites which might possibly challenge him to value knowledge and counselor, just as the Book of Proverbs exhorts. But among his oft-repeated mantras are "Evidence can take a hike", "Science can take a hike", and even "Reality can take a hike." He has been the subject of many studies and his classic posts are cataloged in archives such as:

AV1611VET, CF

The kind of argument you will see promoted most often is The Argument from Personal Incredulity Fallacy. (Also known as the "Shrug-Your-Shoulders and Assume-Nobody-Else-Understands-Either" argument or the "Everybody is as Clueless as I am" fallacy.)

Many assumed an emulation of Edward Current, though Current prefers Youtube. In any case, it can be difficult to make sense of many such posts unless one is aware of the backdrop and history of the poster.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry, but AV is adamantly opposed to exposing himself to actual evidence---whether scriptural or scientific---in an effort to preserve his cherished traditions. Many have tried to get him to read everything from textbooks to published articles to websites which might possibly challenge him to value knowledge and counselor, just as the Book of Proverbs exhorts. But among his oft-repeated mantras are "Evidence can take a hike", "Science can take a hike", and even "Reality can take a hike." He has been the subject of many studies and his classic posts are cataloged in archives such as:

AV1611VET, CF

The kind of argument you will see promoted most often is The Argument from Personal Incredulity Fallacy. (Also known as the "Shrug-Your-Shoulders and Assume-Nobody-Else-Understands-Either" argument or the "Everybody is as Clueless as I am" fallacy.)

Many assumed an emulation of Edward Current, though Current prefers Youtube. In any case, it can be difficult to make sense of many such posts unless one is aware of the backdrop and history of the poster.

Either all that, or I asked a simple question that made my point clear, and got a challenge to watch something on Youtube about something in New England instead.

Heaven forbid someone should actually answer any of my questions -- including you.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He has been the subject of many studies and his classic posts are cataloged in archives such as:

AV1611VET, CF
Speaking of which ...

Let me ask a simple question -- (the kind you guys don't answer):

Jesus walked on water.

Will that statement show up on that fstdt site?

If not, why?

If I were an atheist, I'd say that is a pretty outrageous statement by a 'fundie', wouldn't you?

Or does that site just pick and choose?

I mean, if Jesus walking on water doesn't make it, how is it that SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE does?

Upvote 0

1an

Dec 4, 2011
✟48,487.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Speaking of which ...

Let me ask a simple question -- (the kind you guys don't answer):

Jesus walked on water.

Will that statement show up on that fstdt site?

If not, why?

If I were an atheist, I'd say that is a pretty outrageous statement by a 'fundie', wouldn't you?

Or does that site just pick and choose?

I mean, if Jesus walking on water doesn't make it, how is it that SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE does?

You don't contribute anything though do you, and far from making a positive contribution, when you do say anything it is always in the negative and in a troubled world we don't need more disharmony we need to encourage each other in the Christian walk rather than having someone leave the verbal equivalent of dog poo in the pathway for people to either step around or try to clean up, either way it leaves a stain and an unpleasant smell, it is very unhelpful and it can spoil peoples day.

Upvote 0
I

ivanthegood

Considering that ERETZ refers to "land" or "country", why should anyone assume that Noah's Flood was GLOBAL in scope?

Even if one translates KOL ERETZ as "the whole earth", there is no evidence that the term in that ancient culture had any connotation of "the whole planet earth" or "the entire globe". The "earth" was simply everything that was within the boundaries of the horizons. "The earth" was the opposite of "the heavens". "The heavens" was everything above; "the earth" (HAARETZ) was everything "under the heavens." How could ancient Hebrew have possibly imposed a "planet-wide, global meaning" to a word that normally meant "land"?

Just as "falling to the earth" today means "falling to the ground", ERETZ has a wide semantic domain in Hebrew but is usually translated "land", even by the 1611 King James Bible. (Would anyone argue that ERETZ ISRAEL was meant to mean "the planet Israel" instead of "the Land of Israel"?)

And when the whole world came to Egypt during the famine to buy grain from Joseph, did Australians and the Japanese join the queues? Were all the nations of the planet earth involved in the trek to Egypt?

So, considering that the Bible says nothing about a GLOBAL flood and there is zero scientific evidence for a GLOBAL flood, why not simply say that the Bible describes a great flood which wiped out Noah's world and all mankind with it? (After all, if mankind stayed in just one area after the flood when the Tower of Babel incident finally led to their disbursal, why can't one simply assume that mankind stayed similarly concentrated in the time of Noah?)

a flood is a flood, if everyone dies, its pretty big

Upvote 0

1an

Dec 4, 2011
✟48,487.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
a flood is a flood, if everyone dies, its pretty big

We had a terrible flood near where I live, the whole earth was flooded and everyone in their whole world died.

There are pictures of the devastation here:-

Sheffield Flood - The Trail of Destruction (3)

However long before the time of Noah Cain had fled to the land of Nod where there were other people living and before then around 70–60 thousand years ago, people migrated out of Africa along a coastal route to South and South-east Asia and reached Australia. About 50 thousand years ago, modern humans spread from Asia to the Near East. Europe was first reached by modern humans about 40,000 years ago. Finally, about 15 thousand years ago in the Upper Paleolithic, the migration to the Americas occurred. These people knew nothing of the flood and were totally unaffected by it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NailsII

Life-long student of biological science
Jul 25, 2007
UK
✟9,647.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
We had a terrible flood near where I live, the whole earth was flooded and everyone in their whole world died.

....................​

However long before the time of Noah Cain had fled to the land of Nod where there were other people living and before then around 70–60 thousand years ago, people migrated out of Africa along a coastal route to South and South-east Asia and reached Australia. About 50 thousand years ago, modern humans spread from Asia to the Near East. Europe was first reached by modern humans about 40,000 years ago. Finally, about 15 thousand years ago in the Upper Paleolithic, the migration to the Americas occurred. These people knew nothing of the flood and were totally unaffected by it.

Which means it must have been a world-wide flood to kill all humans except Noah and his family.

Upvote 0

1an

Dec 4, 2011
✟48,487.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The Bible is not really a book about the prehistoric world. In fact the Bible is written history. For the most part the Bible covers the last 6,000 years. The information you have comes from something other then written recorded history.

You are not understanding what I am saying, no wonder you cannot understand the Bible.

Let me explain. Noah, as you imply was living probably around 3000BC?

Long before Noah, humankind had migrated all over the world, and no one at all was affected by the flood. Neither did Noah go to the north and south poles or to any of the other continents to collect the animals. What you people are saying is ridiculous.

Get real.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You don't contribute anything though do you, and far from making a positive contribution, when you do say anything it is always in the negative and in a troubled world we don't need more disharmony we need to encourage each other in the Christian walk rather than having someone leave the verbal equivalent of dog poo in the pathway for people to either step around or try to clean up, either way it leaves a stain and an unpleasant smell, it is very unhelpful and it can spoil peoples day.

Walk your own path then, and quit following me around like Paul was followed around by the scientists of his day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

So we will use this post as a model for all future posts then.
Got it. You are our hero!
Do as I say, not as I do-do.

:)

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry, but AV is adamantly opposed to exposing himself to actual evidence---whether scriptural or scientific-....

Evidence of Jesus resurrecting a person from the dead would be the man alive.
In those days, a man alive would be scientific proof that he was never dead.
Even today, after 3 days we are pretty sure.

Upvote 0

Herman Hedning

Hiking is fun
Mar 2, 2004
N 57° 44', E 12° 00'
Visit site
✟735,103.00
Faith
Humanist
These days you can find a Bible for everything. Few days ago I saw the Bible of the amber jewelry and was like "what?".. In my opinion there should be the one and only Bible and not some trick for marketing..
I have no idea why you resurrected this thread just to post that. However, you are aware that the word "bible" just means book, right? Or more specifically:

a book regarded as authoritative in a particular sphere: a brand-new edition of this filmgoers' bible.
ORIGIN
Middle English: via Old French from ecclesiastical Latin biblia, from Greek (ta) biblia ‘(the) books’, from biblion ‘book’, originally a diminutive of biblos ‘papyrus, scroll’, of Semitic origin.

Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
These days you can find a Bible for everything. Few days ago I saw the Bible of the amber jewelry and was like "what?".. In my opinion there should be the one and only Bible and not some trick for marketing..

LOL, judging by her avatar I think it's likely a "trick for marketing". I admire the level of irony present in the post if that's the case, it's almost off the charts!

Upvote 0