Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello, all. This year for Lent, I'm considering giving up something different than a typical materialistic thing, like candy or pop. I saw an article (never read it, just saw on the front of some magazine) called something like "A sharp-tongued mother struggles to give up snark for Lent". Seeing that is something that stuck out to me, giving up something more significant & beneficial to others. Hence, the idea of giving up negativity for Lent.
Naturally, I still have some time to think about this, but I just wanted to see what you all thought about the idea. Also, please post if you've done or considered doing something similar to this.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello, all. This year for Lent, I'm considering giving up something different than a typical materialistic thing, like candy or pop. I saw an article (never read it, just saw on the front of some magazine) called something like "A sharp-tongued mother struggles to give up snark for Lent". Seeing that is something that stuck out to me, giving up something more significant & beneficial to others. Hence, the idea of giving up negativity for Lent.
Naturally, I still have some time to think about this, but I just wanted to see what you all thought about the idea. Also, please post if you've done or considered doing something similar to this.

If I thought it was a bad idea, I would regret being negative!

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟830,504.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
One preacher I heard recently said that the Lord showed him how he could turn curses into positive prophetic words from the Lord. We could apply the same principle to negativity. If I think a negative thought, I will reverse engineer it so that the opposite of that negative thought comes out as a positive affirmation to my soul. And if someone says something negative to me, I will do the same so what I end up with is a positive "prophecy" to my heart. If a witch or an occult person puts a curse on me I will get them to say it a little slower so I can write it down, and then reverse engineer it so that it turns out as a positive and powerful prophecy instead. If the curse is not very good, I can say to the occult person, "Is that all you've got? Not very impressive. You're not a very good witch are you. Perhaps you need more training. However, I have a word for you: The Jesus in me is greater then the witch spirit in you, so there!"

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
If I understand your use of the word "negativity," I might off the top of my head suggest sometimes negativity has a useful purpose, but would be a bad habit to get into.

Reactions: Sketcher
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟830,504.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If I understand your use of the word "negativity," I might off the top of my head suggest sometimes negativity has a useful purpose, but would be a bad habit to get into.
Talking about the top off your head, there is a report that the last words of Marie Antoinette just before she was executed, said to the executioner, "Just a little off the top please."

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I think it’s a great idea to give up negativity for Lent. Last year our pastor suggested the whole congregation give up judgmentalness.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,348.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
People call me a pessimist, I call myself a realist. I'm going to tell you right now, if negativity is a serious issue in your life, this is unrealistic.

Aside from whether or not you can keep a commitment to give it up for 40 days, sometimes the non-sugarcoated truth just needs to be said. It would then be like giving up anger for 40 days.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟830,504.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
People call me a pessimist, I call myself a realist. I'm going to tell you right now, if negativity is a serious issue in your life, this is unrealistic.

Aside from whether or not you can keep a commitment to give it up for 40 days, sometimes the non-sugarcoated truth just needs to be said. It would then be like giving up anger for 40 days.
The Pessimist Society did not have their monthly meeting because it was generally believed that no one would turn up anyway.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Thank you for all your input, both useful & humerous, it's helpful & entertaining.
Like I said, it's just a consideration at this point, but I still would like to give up something more significant than chocolate milk.

Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
The Pessimist Society did not have their monthly meeting because it was generally believed that no one would turn up anyway.
I was there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums