Mid-Atlantic
✟15,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am seriously considering moving from the RCC to ELCA, and I've been in touch with a pastor I have met before who provided some materials for me to read and whom I'll be having coffee with one day next week.

It would be interesting to hear about the experiences of other Catholics who have moved to ELCA.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In feel, the move makes sense. More than with any of the other Lutheran churches. You will probably feel comfortable with the worship services and people.

As you probably know, there are some doctrinal differences, but the ELCA is also the most liberal of the Lutheran bodies (along the lines of the Episcopal Church), both politically and theologically, so you may or may not be supportive of that.

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am seriously considering moving from the RCC to ELCA, and I've been in touch with a pastor I have met before who provided some materials for me to read and whom I'll be having coffee with one day next week.

It would be interesting to hear about the experiences of other Catholics who have moved to ELCA.

I am one of those. What would you like to know specifically ? Albion is generally correct in his post. The ELCA hierarchy is very socially liberal yet somewhat conservative in its liturgical style. An ELCA service will typically remind one of a Catholic service but the social stances of the ELCA are very different.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟767,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am also one. I took some detours along the way, but have ended up happy in the Lutheran Chruch and ELCA. Overall the liturgical style of most ELCA churches will be very similar to a standard NO Mass, with some differences that are minor but noticeable if you are a frequent RCC Mass attender. Theologically the two churches are similar....but also very different. Fortunately the Lutheran beliefs are well defined and one can easily read about the basic theology in the Book of Concord and Luther's Small and Large Catechism. This is also something that attracted me to the Lutheran Church after leaving the RCC - I like to be able to reference what the church actually believes and was a big fan of the Catechism of the Catholic Church for this reason.

Socially the ELCA is more liberal than the other Lutheran Synods in the USA and Canada, but that can fit a lot of people and also varies by parish as to how liberal they are. It works for me because of my Messianic Judaism beliefs, as these would not fall in line with the LCMS or WELS synods at all but are tolerated in the ELCA. The ELCA is also the only large Lutheran Synod in the USA with an episcopal polity and historic episcopate at this time. This is very important to me as well.

I am incredibly fortunate that the pastor at the ELCA parish I attend is fantastic and the Liturgy is done well and with reverence. After the RCC I found the ELCA an easy move as far as worship style is concerned. Some LCMS parishes will be similar too, but many now have a "contemporary" or low church worship style, which suits many people well but I would think lapsed Catholics would be more comfortable in a ELCA service.

If I may ask, is there a particular reason for the ELCA and Lutheranism in general over other churches such as the Episcopal Church or other Lutheran Synods such as the LCMS or WELS?

Reactions: GardenLady
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Catholics in our church, I suppose I've talked to about 5, say there is "no difference" in the service compared to the Catholic mass. We believe in the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist and follow the same liturgy calendar, and more.

There is almost no effect at all of political 'liberal' or 'conservative' in our own (ELCA) congregation. We been there about 8 years, and I can tell you the politically conservative people roughly equal or possibly may outnumber the 'liberal', but these differences seem minor or unimportant in our church.

Our more conservative and more liberal people seem to consistently become especially close friends. It's like conservative and liberal in our congregation attract like magnetic poles, and bond together. (ok, maybe that metaphor is hyperbole, but there is much friendship and love :)

I know first hand as I stand there and talk with them for 10 and 15 minutes at a time in little spontaneous groups during coffee after the service that we just don't have any serious problem about liberal vs conservative.

There is one old guy I love so much that tells me the contemporary service music is too much like 'entertainment', and I just smile and love him, and am not bothered by that even a bit, because in the contemporary service I know the music lyrics are quite good and plenty righteous, such as some are parts of a psalm set to modern music, and some more are old hymns lyrics set to modern music, and most of the newer lyric songs are as righteous as any old hymn. But, we have both styles of service, and both are liked.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟767,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
^^^Yes, I should have mentioned the Real Presence. While the understanding is different from the RCC, Lutherans DO believe in the actual presence of Christ in the Eucharist and this was also a key reason for me to move to the Lutheran church over other options. I tried to get on board with the Eucharist being a symbol and mainly looking at other denominations.....but it just did not feel "right". Scripture aside, when I take communion I can truly feel God working and it is a mystical, wonderful experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GardenLady

Aug 22, 2018
Mid-Atlantic
✟15,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your responses. My husband raised Lutheran. We have sometimes attended the local ELCA parish, which was the parish of my sister-in-law and her family. In fact, my husband and I were married there, because my husband was divorced and we could not have a catholic wedding.

While not exactly the same, I find the traditional service very similar to Catholic mass. The areas in which I disagree with the Catholic church appear, in large part, to be areas where I can agree with the ELCA. My thoughts on the Real Presence are more in line with the ELCA that the transubstantiation doctrine of the Catholic church.

There are still areas to explore, but I'm feeling good about this.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

GardenLady

Aug 22, 2018
Mid-Atlantic
✟15,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Grasping After the Wind, my departure from Catholicism stems from disagreement with many doctrines and practices. The whole Mariology thing, the doctrine of infallibility, the seeming improbability of transubstantiation (though I believe in the Real Presence), the Assumption, doctrines around contraception (past that at age 60!), remarriage of divorced persons, and others. I support marriage equality, while holding that churches should not have to violate their beliefs in performing marriages. But the final straws have been the Pennsylvania report and the findings against Cardinal McCarrick, who I thought was one of the good guys. So there is it.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟767,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@Grasping After the Wind, my departure from Catholicism stems from disagreement with many doctrines and practices. The whole Mariology thing, the doctrine of infallibility, the seeming improbability of transubstantiation (though I believe in the Real Presence), the Assumption, doctrines around contraception (past that at age 60!), remarriage of divorced persons, and others. I support marriage equality, while holding that churches should not have to violate their beliefs in performing marriages. But the final straws have been the Pennsylvania report and the findings against Cardinal McCarrick, who I thought was one of the good guys. So there is it.

I think, with most of those items, you will find kind company in Lutherans that were once Catholics. You pretty much hit all my major points as well, with the exception of the recent news in regards to the massive RCC cover-ups as I left the church around 4 years ago. Of course some of these are the issues that Luther wrestled with as well. If the subject interests you, you will enjoy reading the Book of Concord.

• Agree
Reactions: GardenLady
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I went from the Orthodox church to the ELCA. It's not a perfect fit for me but it was a necessary step. I had similar issues as what you mentioned. The Lutheran teaching on ethics, particularly in the example of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, is really what attracted me, and I did not fully appreciate how it interacts with the religion and spirituality until I received a full catechism. Lutheran ethics are very much focused on being a "person for others". We also focus on personal moral agency rather than legalistic obedience or blind traditionalism, which is something I did not care for in the Orthodox Church. We also have a healthy respect for the secular ordering of the world.

A Catholic such as yourself would fit in well in the ELCA, and you'ld probably find a few people in any Lutheran or Episcopalian congregation with a similar story.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GardenLady

Aug 22, 2018
Mid-Atlantic
✟15,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you all for your comments. My decision is made -- this move is necessary. I met with the pastor after reading the materials he provided, and also spoke with a retired bishop who helps as an auxiliary pastor. My husband and I will be attending a new member orientation in a couple of weeks and will be received into the ECLA parish the following week.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

From what you have said here, I would think that you would feel comfortable with the ELCA. You seem to be on the same page with the ELCA I in those things that you have mentioned.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟767,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you all for your comments. My decision is made -- this move is necessary. I met with the pastor after reading the materials he provided, and also spoke with a retired bishop who helps as an auxiliary pastor. My husband and I will be attending a new member orientation in a couple of weeks and will be received into the ECLA parish the following week.
Great to hear that you are happy with your search! Welcome, it is great to have you in the ELCA! :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0