Conservative Men and Abortion

vegan

Soaking in the Florida Sunshine
Nov 30, 2002
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟324.00
Originally posted by seebs
In both of those cases, we agree that we are mourning the death of a person. The Bible does not seem to advocate mourning stillbirths as "people".

I don't think it does.  Regardless, the quotes I posted seem to say that there is a connection between God and the unborn.  There will be a hefty price to pay for the murderers of these children.

BTW, I am assuming you are pro-abortion.  Am I correct?

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by vegan
I don't think it does.  Regardless, the quotes I posted seem to say that there is a connection between God and the unborn.

There is a connection between God and the not-even-fertilized. There is a connection right now between God and people who will live a thousand years from now, and people who died a thousand years ago.

There will be a hefty price to pay for the murderers of these children.

The wages of sin are death; this is why we look for salvation.

BTW, I am assuming you are pro-abortion.  Am I correct?

Nope. In fact, I find the term in question fairly offensive, because it implies that someone *wants* abortions to happen. I have yet to meet anyone who, as a matter of social policy, is in favor of "abortions". (I believe there may be some in the Chinese government.)

I am pro-choice; I think the decision is one that each woman must face on her own, and that all we can offer is guidance, advice, and support. I think abortion is almost certainly a bad idea (ectopic pregnancies and other medical emergencies aside), and probably morally wrong.

However, all I can honestly do about this is:
1. Not have any abortions. (Easy for me.)
2. Advise people against abortions.
3. Not betray God by turning on people who don't heed my advice.

My obligation to love people, sinners too, strikes me as vastly more important than my obligation to warn them about potential sins. Christ came for the lost, not the saved. I've had friends who have had abortions; rather than try to make them feel worse and worse, I try to help them come to God anyway, because they need Him at least as much as I do.

Upvote 0

vegan

Nov 30, 2002
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟324.00
The wages of sin are death; this is why we look for salvation.

My obligation to love people, sinners too, strikes me as vastly more important than my obligation to warn them about potential sins. 

I can not find the verse right now, but while Jesus warned people about being judgemental, he also said we were not to sit idle and let our brothers sin (something like that).  Of course, you, being pro-abortion (yes, I read your comments but I have a hard time saying "pro-choice."  how about we compromise and say pro-death) do not see abortion as a sin.  And I must say, if I were "pro-choice" (there, I said it), I think I would rather be an atheist than a christian.  At least atheists can say they are pro-abortion without trying to dance around the whole GOD issue.  I do not know how anyone can say with a straight face that we have a soul and yet abortion should be legal.  How can you admit God knew us before we were born and on the other hand support abortion? 

Yes, all have sinned.  But to be Christian is to be Christ-like.  And what did Jesus do when he saw the money changers descrating his father's house?  DId he sit by and say "all have sinned" or "i should love the sinner and hate the sin?"  No.  Jesus took ACTION.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I can not find the verse right now, but while Jesus warned people about being judgemental, he also said we were not to sit idle and let our brothers sin (something like that).  Of course, you, being pro-abortion

That's a very dishonest turn of phrase. I would rather see the number of abortions lower than higher; this is not "pro-abortion".
(yes, I read your comments but I have a hard time saying "pro-choice."  how about we compromise and say pro-death)

Yes, let's do use the most biased and inaccurate terms we possibly can to express our contempt for those who don't share our personal opinions. I think that's a very Christian thing to do.

do not see abortion as a sin.

When did I say that? I said I'm not sure. I would generally argue that elective abortion is probably sinful - but I don't know, and it's not my place to judge.

I do not know how anyone can say with a straight face that we have a soul and yet abortion should be legal.  How can you admit God knew us before we were born and on the other hand support abortion?

God knew me before the earth's surface cooled enough to allow life to form. However, had I not been born, He *wouldn't have* known me; I would not have existed.

God's knowledge is outside of time; you can't use it to "date" the point at which a person comes into being, because He knows us long before we "come into being" in *ANY* sense.

Yes, all have sinned.  But to be Christian is to be Christ-like.  And what did Jesus do when he saw the money changers descrating his father's house?  DId he sit by and say "all have sinned" or "i should love the sinner and hate the sin?"  No.  Jesus took ACTION.

And what did He do when prostitutes, tax-collectors, and other people came to Him, seeking aid and comfort? He took ACTION - He comforted them.

Once someone *has had* an abortion, there is no "action" I can take to change this; all I can do is act in compassion and love. Jumping up and down screaming "I told you so" in response to feelings of guilt is not exactly the example I want to set!

Upvote 0

vegan

Nov 30, 2002
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟324.00
Yes, let's do use the most biased and inaccurate terms we possibly can to express our contempt for those who don't share our personal opinions. I think that's a very Christian thing to do.

1. You used the term "pro-choice." That is dishonest.

2. As a Christian, I need and welcome other Christians helping me become a better Christian.  However, I do not need someone who is pro-choice telling me (or anyone else) on what is Christian and what is NOT christian.  Many will say "Lord, Lord," Jesus warned,  who are NOT of the Lord. 

God knew me before the earth's surface cooled enough to allow life to form. However, had I not been born, He *wouldn't have* known me; I would not have existed.

And God CHOSE to send you to earth via a human body.  You admit God knows us before we were born, and yet you hold on to abortion!  Did God send us here by accident?  Do we repay God for sending us a child by vacuming it out of the womb?  Who are YOU to argue with God? 

Jumping up and down screaming "I told you so" in response to feelings of guilt is not exactly the example I want to set!

Nor I.  Nor did I ever say such a thing.  A child who burns him or herself on the stove may need a little TLC before a lecture on kitchen safety.  But to sit there and watch the child reach out for the hot stove out of "compassion" is not only poor judgement, but immoral.  I will, and the Church does, give comfort to anyone who has had an abortion.  I will not however keep my mouth shut and keep away from protest lines and wait until the baby has been murdered.  That, sir, would be immoral.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1. You used the term "pro-choice." That is dishonest.

1. Does alleged dishonesty by one party merit dishonesty by another party?
2. I don't see anything dishonest at all. I think people should be able to choose; it is my belief that, if they are given adequate information, they will almost invariably choose not to have abortions, and that the abortion rate will go down.

2. As a Christian, I need and welcome other Christians helping me become a better Christian.  However, I do not need someone who is pro-choice telling me (or anyone else) on what is Christian and what is NOT christian.  Many will say "Lord, Lord," Jesus warned,  who are NOT of the Lord. 

I see. Christianity has nothing to do with believing in Jesus, it's all about being anti-abortion. Anyone who isn't anti-abortion isn't a *TRUE* Christian. That's very insightful; you should bug God, He omitted that in the Bible.

And God CHOSE to send you to earth via a human body.  You admit God knows us before we were born, and yet you hold on to abortion!

No, I don't. I just don't *reject* it, because your argument is totally lacking in logical force. If your argument works for abortion, it works for "not having sex every time your fertile, no matter what", because obviously premarital sex isn't as bad as *murder*, and not having sex is "worse than murder", because it keeps God from sending the person He would have made if you'd gotten pregnant.

What arrant nonsense!

Did God send us here by accident?

No. So?

Do we repay God for sending us a child by vacuming it out of the womb?  Who are YOU to argue with God? 

Begging the question, again. You're going from "God knew me before I was born" to "my full personhood was present the moment there was a zygote". No such connection applies. God knew me before I was born; that doesn't tell me at exactly which instant He put my soul in this body!

Anyway, I think it's pretty clear that this is futile. You've made up your mind so firmly that no one who disagrees with you could *possibly* meet your standards for Christianity; at that point, there's no point in a discussion.

Most people have caught on that people may be wrong on one point without being totally and utterly without any discernment on any point whatsoever... But apparently, in your book, since I am not yet convinced that my dislike for abortion is sufficient grounds to blow up anyone who's ever even hinted at the possibility of birth control, I'm not a Real Christian. Yeah, it's a straw man; so is what you've said about me. :)

Upvote 0

Blackhawk

Monkey Boy
Feb 5, 2002
Ft. Worth, tx
Visit site
✟22,925.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh, I agree it's very different - but it's "the same" in that people can honestly disagree, and I don't think anyone but God can answer the question so that everyone should accept the answer given.

I disagree.  I think that ones who believe in abortion are wrong.  I think capital punishment is much more gray.  Some things are not so gray and I think abortion is one of those things. 

Oh, sure. And a brain-dead human is a living human body - but I'm not sure it's a "person" anymore. [/B]

There is a big difference between one whose brain will not form again and one who is forming in the womb.   

The point is to show that it can be morally consistent for us to, while opposed to loss of life, choose to end one life that *might* have made it to do our best to save another. [/B]

But how does abortion save another except in very rare cases?  And most of those times we are really mostly guessing that the abortion has to be done in order to save the woman's life.  So if you say that you are anti-choice except for the very rare cases in which a mother's life is truly in danger then I can live with that.  

Unfortunately, we have to make a lot of judgement calls that we aren't qualified for. [/B]

My point was that not only are we not qualified to make the judgement calls that most of the time they are not ours to make.  Instead I think we sin by making them instead of letting God be in control.   

I guess, my thinking is this: The only way I can be for a ban on abortions is if I am convinced that *NO* abortion is acceptable, not ever. And I'm not, because there are cases of danger to the mother, and other borderline cases, where I think it's a hard question. [/B]

I do not think you have to be all or none like you are saying. A ban would be for most cases.  It would not include the very rare cases.  I think that is certain.   

Nope. I don't even know if a 6-month-old baby is a "person". My understanding of "person" is based on my experience of communicating to someone; I'm not sure there's a "someone" in an infant. [/B]

Okay this scares me because if an infant is not a person then we are not required to give them the rights of a person.  Scary. 

I certainly don't; I think it's a very bad thing, for the same reason infanticide is wrong - at this point, it is quite practical for us to say "well, if you don't want this baby, someone else does". [/B]

But see I can ask you why not since the baby is not a person.  But anyways I am happy you are against them. 

True - but I think there's a difference between harming people and harming property of people, and I think that unborn babies are generally treated more like property of people than like separate people in the Bible. [/B]

I think you are assuming more than what the Bible tells us.  The Bible tells us that God knew us while we were in the womb.  not foreknowledge but he knew us because we were us in the womb. 

Well, we have to; the Bible doesn't directly address the question of "what if the mother doesn't want to bear the child, and it's possible to kill it without harming her?". So we're all guessing a little. [/B]

You are right at least I can't find a specific verse that says directly what you said above.  However many verses speak about God knowing us in the womb or that God knit us together in the womb.  So I see the Bible being pretty clear about it and there being very little guess work. 

My thinking is that the difference looks a lot like the difference I would associate with "personhood". [/B]

I can't really say anything new except I disagree with you because of my statements in my previous post.    

A baby is not treated as a "person" in terms of the Law until it's born. If unborn babies were "people", you wouldn't need a separate law about them, it'd just be "killing people". Instead, they're seen as an injury to the mother. [/B]

What else do you have?  This is rather flimsy evidence for the Bible supporting a pro Choice position. I believe you are really stretching it with this evidence. 

I don't know. I tend to think it *probably* shouldn't be, but I'm not the one whose body is playing host to something for nine months. [/B]

I do not think you meant to say this but it sounds like you think inconvience is a reason for abortion.  I can understand being pregnant is hard but to kill a child becausse of it?  I can't understand that at all. 

Yup. Basically, I can see both arguments, and I think they're both good arguments. Because I think both sides are reasonably consistent, I can't just dismiss one of them as "obviously wrong". [/B]

Well many arguments are consistent but still very wrong.  I could argue that the sun is blue and be consiistent but still wrong.  I think the big difference between the two arguments is not one is consistent and one is not but one makes the wrong judgement calls on particular important questions while the other one does not.

I think it's rather that we think every person's opinion is important to get a vote - we still leave the individual to make as many decisions as possible. [/B]

Yes but one vote is one vote only.  We tally up all the votes and decide based upon what a group thinks not just the individuals. 

Basically, what it comes down to is, when I don't think we have enough information or wisdom to judge with certainty, I think we should let people face that uncertainty individually, with guidance. I think this is the closest we can come to simultaneously protecting everyone; furthermore, it leaves the moral culpability squarely on an individual basis, where it belongs. [/B]

First I agree with part of what you said. When things are uncertain we can leave it up to an individual but I do not see this as an unceratin topic.  However I do not see how us letting others decide leaves all moral culpability on an indivdual basis.  If abortion is wrong then I play a part in it all if I allow the mother to choose. 

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by Blackhawk
I disagree.  I think that ones who believe in abortion are wrong.  I think capital punishment is much more gray.  Some things are not so gray and I think abortion is one of those things.

In my mind, the defining characteristic of a gray area is that people can study the issue together for years and not come to an agreement.

There is a big difference between one whose brain will not form again and one who is forming in the womb.

I agree that there's a difference - I'm just not sure how it affects the story.

But how does abortion save another except in very rare cases?  And most of those times we are really mostly guessing that the abortion has to be done in order to save the woman's life.  So if you say that you are anti-choice except for the very rare cases in which a mother's life is truly in danger then I can live with that.  

In the case of an ectopic pregnancy, it's no more likely that the baby will come to term than it is that, after the baby is aborted, God will just poof it into a healthy baby, IMHO. Neither is recorded to have happened, ever.

In other cases... Yes, we have to guess. A lot of medical science involves trying to decide which of two substantial chances of killing someone you'd rather take. I don't think that means we can't choose; in general, "not choosing" means "taking the path where we don't do anything", and that's often *more* dangerous.

As to other cases... In other cases, I think abortion is probably wrong, but I recognize that people often disagree with me on moral issues, and I am not comfortable asserting any authority over them in this issue.

My point was that not only are we not qualified to make the judgement calls that most of the time they are not ours to make.  Instead I think we sin by making them instead of letting God be in control.   

God speaks through people, not governments; the only way I see to put God in control is to leave the question up to individual conscience, which is the one level at which He interacts with us regularly.

I do not think you have to be all or none like you are saying. A ban would be for most cases.  It would not include the very rare cases.  I think that is certain.   

I don't; I've seen people say that terminating an ectopic pregnancy is every bit as bad as terminating a healthy pregnancy with some chance of survival. I've seen them say this to the faces of women whose only other option was to die a truly horrifying death - resulting in the death of the fetus, too, and this when the fetus is perhaps almost as big as a pencil eraser.

Okay this scares me because if an infant is not a person then we are not required to give them the rights of a person.  Scary. 

Gradual acquisition of rights is nothing new.

Consider the progression of my legal rights:
Birth: "No one has the right to kill me".
Age 5 or so: Legal right to "own property", but only through inheritance, and it must be administered for me.
Age 14: Marriage, but only with parental consent.
Age 15: Driving, but only with a guardian near me.
Age 16: Driving, marriage without parental consent. Leave school with parental consent.
Age 18: Have sex with an adult other than my spouse (if I happen to have gotten married earlier). Vote. Go to war. Own a gun. Own property normally. Nominally a "full adult".
Age 21: Drink alcohol.
Age 35: Become president.

(I believe we still have that last law.)

So... I don't have any problem with someone saying that "personhood comes with the ability to speak in sentences", but that it shall be unlawful to kill a human which is not a person.

Basically, I don't see that "personhood" needs to be the same as "right to life". I personally suspect that your presumptive right to life starts at conception, but that personhood comes much later; the right to life before that is not *yours*, because you don't exist yet, but rather, is a recognition that we *wish* people to come into being. We *like* people.

But see I can ask you why not since the baby is not a person.  But anyways I am happy you are against them. 

See above; I think "potential person" may have some weight. Personally, I have no problem at all with birth control, and only a very small problem with day-after pills in cases where someone made a reasonable effort to avoid pregnancy... I'm not sure why I draw the line there; that's just how I feel. By three months or so, I'm starting to think that the fetus is enough like "people" that the window of opportunity to kill it for convenience is *definitely* past.

I think you are assuming more than what the Bible tells us.  The Bible tells us that God knew us while we were in the womb.  not foreknowledge but he knew us because we were us in the womb. 

Well, it doesn't really *say*. It just says "before I formed you in the womb"; we don't know how *much* before. I'm assuming that omniscience implies a fair amount of look-ahead. I do not personally believe that, in the womb, we are aware enough to interact with or perceive Him.

You are right at least I can't find a specific verse that says directly what you said above.  However many verses speak about God knowing us in the womb or that God knit us together in the womb.  So I see the Bible being pretty clear about it and there being very little guess work. 

I see a lot of range there, partially because it's not very specific about *when* in the womb, and there's a lot of time there.

What else do you have?  This is rather flimsy evidence for the Bible supporting a pro Choice position. I believe you are really stretching it with this evidence. 

I think it's enough to show that the idea of "gradual personhood" is present. In other words, at conception, you are not yet as "valuable" as you will be later; this suggests that *something* changes that matters.

I do not think you meant to say this but it sounds like you think inconvience is a reason for abortion.  I can understand being pregnant is hard but to kill a child becausse of it?  I can't understand that at all. 

Well, keep in mind, I am not convinced that a 3-day-old fetus is a "child" yet. In my mind, "child" implies "older than infant".

That said... "inconvenience" is a relative term. Texas Lynn gave a great example; if your parents have made it clear they would disown you and possibly beat you senseless if you got pregnant, that might be seen as a bit beyond "inconvenient".

First I agree with part of what you said. When things are uncertain we can leave it up to an individual but I do not see this as an unceratin topic.  However I do not see how us letting others decide leaves all moral culpability on an indivdual basis.  If abortion is wrong then I play a part in it all if I allow the mother to choose. 

Well, where do we draw the line on that? I think lying is wrong; should we ban lying? How would we enforce it? What we've done, instead, is define "fraud", and say "when you're damaged by a lie, you are entitled to compensation". The reason this is a tough case is that it's not clear who has been harmed in an abortion, so who would be entitled to the compensation? No legal person...

Basically, I'd rather be responsible for allowing someone to make an informed moral choice, than for making it *hard* to make an adequately informed moral choice. Part of this is simply because, empirically, many women will do unsafe things to try to get rid of an unwanted pregnancy... This is much harder for society to cope with, and is a problem for my sense that I should be compassionate towards people, even when I think they're wrong.

Upvote 0

Outspoken

Standing in the Gap
Nov 8, 2002
✟22,188.00
Faith
Christian
"Perhaps specific criticism rather than merely labeling would be a more effective response for you."

And if you were just labeling I'd say that, you're not though, you're stereotyping, and wrongly as well as ignorantly.

"We have Muslim neighbors who are good people and do not support terrorism."

Just as we have conservatives that don't talk down to women, nor make them feel bad about being pregnent, yet you always propagate otherwise, which is a wrongful stereotype. Its your M.O.

"I would certainly not presume to judge them."

REad the bible. Again shows me you have failed to do so.

"He is welcomed with open arms by these worshippers and is indeed a very spiritual person. "

LOL, you've got to be joking. He shows up on easter alone and you say he is a spiritual person? The man is a liar, a cheat, and by his fruits, as far away from God as Satan himself is.

"Shame on you for castigating a decent Christian such as him."

to this day the man doesn't admit he sins, did you not watch him on TV and lie straight to the public? I think you're just as blind to what being a christian is as he is if you think he is a "decent" christian.

"It is they who are "cold" to children and women, not the pro-choice forces."

Bull. there is more help at a crisis pregency center then any abortion clinic ever gives. They even do post-counciling, something most clinics don't do, from what I have read. I've been to both all over the houston area, don't speak out of something you have no knowledge of at all tl, but then again you seem to do so a lot as you stereotype people you have never ment nor dealt with.

"All you are doing is throwing out straw men."

Yup, you make them, I throw them out. You're just as silly about stereotypes as KKK people.

"IMHO they are better at practicing true Christianity in the spirit of Christian love than all fundie groups combined."

LOL, then your opinion is wrong. They have sold out to the world. Hope they enjoy the 20 pieces of sliver.

"It was as you say"

Yup, it is. Its also murder, but then again I supose you support that too.

Seebs

"I'm sorry, but God has made it pretty clear that, while terminating a pregnancy can be considered injury to the parents, it's *not* the same as murder. It's right there in the book."

You're the LAST person that should talk about "whats in the book" you know very little of whats in it, other then what you twist around. this passage is about an UNINTENTION death of a child. Abortion is murder, pure and simple, and that's exactly what the bible says about it. You're known while you're in the womb because you're human in the womb and abortion murders that child.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hitler was a huge femanist.  DId you know that?  

Of course he was.  That is why he adopted the slogan "Kinder, Kuche, Kirche".  (slaps forehead)  It's all so evident now!

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Jeremiah 1:15: Before I formed thee in the belly, I knew thee. 

Ambiguous at best, as is any attempt to justify the anti-abort position through scripture.  It could just as easily support the Mormon cosmology concept of a "Beforelife" among other things.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by Project 86
You can do partial birth abortions 

Actually such constitutes less than 1% of abortions and are generally only done to protect the life or health of the woman.

The Nebraska law prohibiting such was struck down by the courts, rightfully so, because they could not define what it was.  Journalists investigating such determined allegations it was widespread found it was a fraudulent story planted by anti-aborts. 

President Clinton agreed to sign a federal ban on such if Congress would include an exception for the life or health of the mother.  They wouldn't because they were playing politics and toying with your emotions and those of everyone else, so, rightfully, he vetoed it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Outspoken

Standing in the Gap
Nov 8, 2002
✟22,188.00
Faith
Christian
"Ambiguous at best, as is any attempt to justify the anti-abort position through scripture. "

Not at all, you're human in the womb, thus when you abort, you murder someone. Pretty easy to understand.

"President Clinton agreed to sign a federal ban on such if Congress would include an exception for the life or health of the mother. They wouldn't because they were playing politics and toying with your emotions and those of everyone else, so, rightfully, he vetoed it."

NO, the motivation behind clinton's descion was political. Some of his biggest backers are anti-kids people. He knew this would hurt the way they view him, so he vetoed it. He probably supports partial birth abortions as well, or abortion in any case, as he is firmly anti-kids.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by Outspoken
Just as we have conservatives that don't talk down to women, nor make them feel bad about being pregnent, yet you always propagate otherwise, which is a wrongful stereotype. Its your M.O.

Somewhere---maybe even early on this thread, I can't remember---someone asked me to name conservative women I respect and i named several.  Ah, it was in a thread on politics;  sorry, can't remember which.  A good number of the ones I mentioned (Nancy Landon Kassebaum for sure) are pro-choice, though.  I sincerely believe woman hatred is the basis for the bulk of the anti-abort positions taken by people and as they castigate women with unwanted pregnancies it becomes obvious.

"I would certainly not presume to judge them."

REad the bible. Again shows me you have failed to do so.

I am not answerable to you.  I suggest you do the same.

"He is welcomed with open arms by these worshippers and is indeed a very spiritual person. "

LOL, you've got to be joking. He shows up on easter alone and you say he is a spiritual person? The man is a liar, a cheat, and by his fruits, as far away from God as Satan himself is.

Shame.  You should consult your pastor on this, that is a terrible thing to say about anyone, least of all a man who means as well as he does and has human frailities.  And you call yourself a Christian?  Physician, heal thyself.

"Shame on you for castigating a decent Christian such as him."

to this day the man doesn't admit he sins

False.  He admitted his adultery and expressed contrition.  His spiritual advisor was the noted Pastor Tony Campolo who believes he has repented.  Are you saying you know more than perhaps the most respected Pastor in the country about a man with whom he is intimately acquainted?  Shame. 

did you not watch him on TV and lie straight to the public?

Of course.  He lied about a personal matter.  He has human limitations.  Those unwilling to forgive him for that reveal a lot about themselves and their cold-hearted nature.

I think you're just as blind to what being a christian is as he is if you think he is a "decent" christian.

As a politician, Bill Clinton will never be a Paul Wellstone or a Robert F. Kennedy, both of which personified decency in a person in that ruthless field, yet neither will he be "out of the loop" on Iran-Contra or other isidious evils nor "I am not a crook";)...

He is a human with flaws as are we all.  I pity you in that you feel free to express such negativity with no hubris.  Look into the mirror before you judge one such as this. 

"It is they who are "cold" to children and women, not the pro-choice forces."

Bull. there is more help at a crisis pregency center then any abortion clinic ever gives. They even do post-counciling, something most clinics don't do, from what I have read.

Then your reading is incomplete.  Most do, or refer out.  Nurses and social worker employed there are ethically bound to do so and liable if they do not serve the patients as needed.  In contrast, fake anti-abort clinics are seldom staffed with qualified professionals and deceive their clients. 

I've been to both all over the houston area

So, you're an activist of sorts?  I doubt if you've been inside an  abortion provider's clinic long enough to discern what's going on there before security is called to escort you out. 

don't speak out of something you have no knowledge of at all tl

Ah, but I do know, and, obviously, more than you do on this topic. 

you seem to do so a lot as you stereotype people you have never ment nor dealt with.

You insist on using that one word, inaccurately, over and over, making you look ridiculous.  You cannot provide examples, all you can do is label.  I speak from a knowledge base greater than yours on this topic and I know the anti-aborts for what they are and I stand by what I've said of them.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think it was addressed to you, and there was a post by Susan in there that got buried under a veritable flurry of unrelated posts. A few pages back, now, I think.

Thanks, Seebs.  I stayed up late last night to respond to various posts but couldn't get them all.  No slight to her, but if she wants to PM me or post again with a specific ? to me I will surely eventually respond.  Some express impatience yet don't realize others have commitments and this forum, or any other forum, is not my life nor even much a priority.  I apologize if I missed anyone's ? directed at me, but, them's the breaks.

BTW, Seebs, excellent postings in pages 22-25 etc.  You are truly doing the Lord's work here, good on ya, Son!

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by Outspoken
President Clinton agreed to sign a federal ban on such if Congress would include an exception for the life or health of the mother. They wouldn't because they were playing politics and toying with your emotions and those of everyone else, so, rightfully, he vetoed it."

NO, the motivation behind clinton's descion was political. Some of his biggest backers are anti-kids people. He knew this would hurt the way they view him, so he vetoed it. He probably supports partial birth abortions as well, or abortion in any case, as he is firmly anti-kids.

You say this about a man who's wife was a board member of Children's Defense Fund?  You have no basis, just are overcome with emotional reason and illogic. 

Clinton is the most "pro-kids" President this country has ever had, with the possible exception of my favorite one, Lyndon Baines Johnson.  And all the repubable children's advocacy organizations would agree with that wholeheartedly.

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This was my post made several pages back.

There is no legal right to poison someone, rip open their skull and vacuum out their brain, or to cut someone into pieces slowly while they scream in pain in order to get some sort of "victory for rights."

Abortion is the murder of the most helpless of society.

BTW to those who suggest birth control as an alternative to abortion: it is no better. You are still taking an innocent life and destroying it.

Upvote 0