✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
‘Hate group’ map lists mainstream conservative organizations

Brad Dacus was thousands of miles away in California last weekend when the Charlottesville protest erupted, so he was flabbergasted when CNN labeled his Pacific Justice Institute a “hate group.”

“Here are all the active hate groups where you live,” said the CNN wire story headline on Chicago’s WGN-TV website.

You can like or dislike these groups, but I'd argue that it is rather irresponsible to listing them, along with their locations, alongside such groups as the KKK after a week of the media praising people for assaulting them and the Neo-Nazis.

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,840.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
CNN is basing off the Southern Poverty Law Center I think

Southern Poverty Law Center - Wikipedia

List of organizations designated by the Southern Poverty Law Center as hate groups - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...he_Southern_Poverty_Law_Center_as_hate_groups
it is rather irresponsible to listing them, along with their locations, alongside such groups as the KKK after a week of the media praising people for assaulting them and the Neo-Nazis.

Yep. No disagreement. There's controversy about SPLC's standards for adding someone to the list.

• Informative
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Brad Dacus was thousands of miles away in California last weekend when the Charlottesville protest erupted, so he was flabbergasted when CNN labeled his Pacific Justice Institute a “hate group.”

“Here are all the active hate groups where you live,” said the CNN wire story headline on Chicago’s WGN-TV website.

You can like or dislike these groups, but I'd argue that it is rather irresponsible to listing them, along with their locations, alongside such groups as the KKK after a week of the media praising people for assaulting them and the Neo-Nazis.

I don't necessarily agree with SPLC's loose definition of "hate group", but at the same time, I have a hard time feeling bad for groups whose business models rely on spreading fear and suspicion of homosexuals and transgendered persons and in cultivating an unfounded persecution complex among their pool of potential donors. They may not "hate", but they're complicit in the spread of hate. I don't wish violence on these groups, but we'd be better off without them

Upvote 0

GondwanaLand

Dec 8, 2013
✟44,972.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Some of what the PJI has been up to, which likely led to its classification (from wiki);

• PJI supported opt-out forms for parents who want their children excused from lessons on topics such as homosexuality or Islam.[53][54][better source needed]
  • PJI supported Proposition 8, a 2008 California ballot initiative that defined marriage as one man and one woman, until the Hollingsworth v. Perry decision in 2013.[55][56][57]
  • PJI unsuccessfully opposed SB 1172, a 2012 California law which bans conversion therapy for children under 18.[59][60][61]
  • PJI opposes the School Success and Opportunity Act, a 2013 California law which allows transgender public school students to use restrooms and play on sports teams that fit their gender identity.[62] In 2013, Media Matters for America described the Pacific Justice Institute as the "LGBT Misinformer Of The Year", because it had publicised a press release containing false claims against a transgender student, as part of its campaign against the law.[63] In 2014, PJI filed suit over whether a referendum against the law qualifies for the November 2014 ballot.[64]

That third one especially is quite disturbing and I certainly think they well earned their place on the map/list with that one.

Upvote 0

Jenny_8675309

We tried to warn you...
Aug 13, 2017
Hampton
✟22,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Some of what the PJI has been up to, which likely led to its classification (from wiki);

• PJI supported opt-out forms for parents who want their children excused from lessons on topics such as homosexuality or Islam.[53][54][better source needed]
  • PJI supported Proposition 8, a 2008 California ballot initiative that defined marriage as one man and one woman, until the Hollingsworth v. Perry decision in 2013.[55][56][57]
  • PJI unsuccessfully opposed SB 1172, a 2012 California law which bans conversion therapy for children under 18.[59][60][61]
  • PJI opposes the School Success and Opportunity Act, a 2013 California law which allows transgender public school students to use restrooms and play on sports teams that fit their gender identity.[62] In 2013, Media Matters for America described the Pacific Justice Institute as the "LGBT Misinformer Of The Year", because it had publicised a press release containing false claims against a transgender student, as part of its campaign against the law.[63] In 2014, PJI filed suit over whether a referendum against the law qualifies for the November 2014 ballot.[64]

That third one especially is quite disturbing and I certainly think they well earned their place on the map/list with that one.
Sounds like hate to me.

Upvote 0

Jenny_8675309

We tried to warn you...
Aug 13, 2017
Hampton
✟22,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

GondwanaLand

Dec 8, 2013
✟44,972.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

GondwanaLand

Dec 8, 2013
✟44,972.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So that justifies listing them besides the KKK and highlighting their locations a week after Charlottesville?
A hate group is a hate group. And if they are sitting next to a kkk site on the map well, that's geography and building site choices.

• Useful
Reactions: HereIStand
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
A hate group is a hate group. And if they are sitting next to a kkk site on the map well, that's geography and building site choices.

They're not literally located next to each other, they're being listed alongside them in the news. I take it that you have no problem with the Family Research Council shooting, then?

Reactions: HereIStand
Upvote 0

GondwanaLand

Dec 8, 2013
✟44,972.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
They're not literally located next to each other, they're being listed alongside them in the news.
I thought we were talking about a map.
I take it that you have no problem with the Family Research Council shooting, then?
What orifice was that reasoning yanked from?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So that justifies listing them besides the KKK and highlighting their locations a week after Charlottesville?

The more I think about this, the less sympathy I have for these groups. These groups might put a better, more polite face on things, but IME, they've done a lot more to spread hate and fear of the LGBT community than the Klan has done. The Klan doesn't have much political support for its beliefs, whereas FRC et al have leverage over huge swaths of the country.

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

You can like or dislike these groups, but I'd argue that it is rather irresponsible to listing them, along with their locations, alongside such groups as the KKK after a week of

Got a link for
the media praising people for assaulting them and the Neo-Nazis.
?

• Optimistic
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I thought we were talking about a map.

What orifice was that reasoning yanked from?

The same one CNN pulled from when deciding to run the piece. As for the question, your avatar was changed to "Keep Calm and be Anti-Fascist" so I was unsure if you supported Antifa, and their type of violence, or not.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm glad that the mask has slipped to the point where it's almost completely off.

If you support the traditional teachings of Christianity, you are part of a hate group, at least in the eyes of the SPLC and their supporters.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'm glad that the mask has slipped to the point where it's almost completely off.

It hasn't "slipped" at all...

20170813-charlottesville-follow-630x420.jpg

They've gotten enough endorsement where they don't feel the need to bother with masks anymore...

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

If you support the traditional teachings of Christianity, you are part of a hate group, at least in the eyes of the SPLC and their supporters.
Sad but true.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It hasn't "slipped" at all...

20170813-charlottesville-follow-630x420.jpg

They've gotten enough endorsement where they don't feel the need to bother with masks anymore...

Please stop equating traditional Christian beliefs with neo-nazism.

Upvote 0