Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
We're developing "Statements of Faith" or "what we believe" etc for the various Congretational forums on CF. Below is a template...please use. These are not moderation guidelines. The rule of the site are here. This needs to be a "what we believe" / "statement of faith."

Any posts which address anything other than a "statement of faith" -esque posts will be deleted and actioned as off topic. Any posts which address my personal views of the forum will be actioned as off-topic (my opinion is irrelevant). I generally know who posts in this forum. I care about those who post here. Attempts to hijack the thread by folks that do not normally post here will be actioned.

Warnings will be the minimum action. No "counseling PMs."

You have one week. After that input will be locked. Input does not need to be complete polished but if after ~170 hours there is no consensus as to the purpose of the forum I suppose we'll have to reassess.

Below is the Messianic Judaism "Statement of Faith" which I like...for its brevity. We need to know what you believe and why...and we don't require an essay.

This is not about moderators, who will be actioned etc. I want a consensus "statement of faith." It will be reviewed by the Advisors, Advisor Assistants, and the Admins if necessary. Here is your template...do not feel constrained by four bullets...but do not give me 20:

Messianic Judaism Statement of Faith*

1. Yeshua is Messiah.
  2. Main Stream Messianic Judaism affirms the Trinitarian nature of God.
  3. Messianic Believers are Jews and Gentiles who have embraced Yeshua as the Messiah of Israel (Redeemer of the World).
  4. Messianic Believers incorporate, affirm, and preserve the Jewish identity, Jewish customs, and Jewish style of worship, as they seek to be a light to the Jew first, then to the Nations .
*This SOF is abbreviated for CF congregational area purposes and is not intended to be read as a full MJ SOF.
See MJAA and UMJC for a full MJ SOF, and for the basic Messianic POV.

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This was the main part of it:

Forum-specific Guidelines for the Conservative Christians Forum

The Congregation-Wide Guidelines apply to this forum. They outline the basic membership and debate guidelines for this forum. Additional guidelines are explained below.

Additional guidelines on debate: Non-members may debate in the Debate subforum

Statement of Faith:

Conservative Christianity is defined by its allegiance to the Holy Scriptures and the traditional beliefs and teachings of the Christian Church on issues of theology and morality. Central to this worldview is the belief that Truth exists objectively and independently of our perception. Truth is unchanging and absolute.
  • The Holy Scriptures are inspired, the written Word of God. Scripture is revelation from God given for the instruction of his people in faith, morals, and doctrine. The revelation of scripture is completely reliable and authoritative.
  • The minimum standard of doctrinal belief in order for a person to be considered a Christian is accurately contained within the Apostles’ and Nicene Creeds. The doctrines contained within these creeds are the bare essentials upon which Christians must agree.
  • Our Christian faith can not be separated from our views on politics and society, or any other area of life. The Conservative Christian worldview holds the following values and views to be necessary expressions of Christian morality based upon Holy Scripture and the established teachings of the Christian Church.
  • The sanctity of human life.Human life begins at conception and ends when the body can no longer naturally sustain itself. Human life can not be ended prematurely without just cause and just authority to do so. This includes most cases of abortion and euthanasia.
  • Sexual morality is a fundamental requirement of Christian moral teaching. The Scriptures repeatedly address the topic of traditional sexual morality as a necessary part of our obedience to God and right living. Sexually moral behavior, in Scripture, and in the established teachings of the Church is held to be limited to sex between a husband and his wife. All other sexual activities fall under the heading of sexual immorality and depart from conservative christian teaching and morality.
  • Sin separates people from God. Thus it is destructive and harmful. Jesus Christ came not only to grant us a way of forgiveness from sin, but also to free us from bondage to sin. Our Lord Jesus Christ has imparted to us the ministry of reconciliation. It is our duty and privilege to teach people the gospel of forgiveness of sins, freedom from sin, and reconciliation to God. Freedom begins with knowing the truth.
  • Truth and Love are both God's character. All truth can be expressed in love. When addressing others in the forum we should hold ourselves accountable to the belief that all people are created in God's image, and as such deserve a basic level of respect, regardless of their deeds. This is not meant to muzzle honest discourse or comment, but to remind that all truth, must be expressed in love. Therefore, Conservative Christians may not flame visitors but rather seek to reason with them with an attitude of service and love.
  • Sola Scriptura – Not all conservatives hold to the doctrine of Sola Scriptura. As per the forum rules we all acknowledge the inspiration, complete reliability, and authority of scripture. However, some conservative Christians may hold Holy Tradition and the Church to be authoritative, or necessary to proper interpretation of scripture, in addition to the scriptures. Others do affirm Sola Scriptura, and are also welcomed equally on this forum. Neither position is preferred. No rule will be made concerning the views of Sola Scriptura, or the Traditions of the Church. Which position is correct is to be determined by the individual, not the forum.
  • Biblical Literalism – Not all conservatives hold an absolute literal interpretation of scripture. This may especially be seen in the areas of eschatology and the Genesis creation account.

You can leave out anythng that is in the Nicene Creed. And since members of this forum can be Catholic and Protestant, I'd leave out the sola scriptura and bilical literalism - maybe something about scripture as inspired by God.

What theological issues bring conservatives together?

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is essentially what I'm talking about.

Am I missing something? Seems stated pretty clearly in the above~~if you're trying to turn this into a denom specific area with a certain creed or historic confession then I'm not sure we'll be able to comply...maybe I'll check WWMD and see what they're working on for specific theological issues...

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think you are missing what we are saying. The FSGs were too long and wordy. It includes stuff that is in the Nicene Creed (remember that the Nicene Creed was not in use when that FSgs were formulated) and the two on sola scriptura and bible literalism requires explanation in order to be okay for Protestants and Catholics and Orthodox members.

We are not asking for a certain creed or confession.
What brings folks together in the conservative Christian forum - what do you have in common?

Sanctity of life is a biggie from what I see, and valuing the scriptures as God's word (as opposed to being allegorical stories and guidelines as a nonConservative may see them). Sexuallity morality is a biggie too from what I have read.

So that is why I asked what brings you together?

Let me put it different - if a new member was looking at the forum, and reads the SOF, what needs to be there so the member can read it quickly and get the gist of the forum? From what I have experienced online and in real life, folks don't take the time to read every bit of a statement. It needs to be short and sweet.
Tonks can correct me if this is not what is looked for.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Generally speaking, conservatives believe that abortion is wrong, and that homosexuality (and other sexual immorality) is a sin. So these bullets would be helpful:

• The sanctity of human life.Human life begins at conception and ends when the body can no longer naturally sustain itself. Human life can not be ended prematurely without just cause and just authority to do so. This includes most cases of abortion and euthanasia.
  • Sexual morality is a fundamental requirement of Christian moral teaching. The Scriptures repeatedly address the topic of traditional sexual morality as a necessary part of our obedience to God and right living. Sexually moral behavior, in Scripture, and in the established teachings of the Church is held to be limited to sex between a husband and his wife. All other sexual activities fall under the heading of sexual immorality and depart from conservative christian teaching and morality.
I think pretty much everything else is included in the creed.

Upvote 0

BelindaP

Senior Contributor
Sep 21, 2006
Indianapolis
✟20,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think that the elephant in the room is the political bent of the forum. We need to get it settled whether theological conservative = political conservative or not. I can go either way, even though I wouldn't be a member of the forum if the two are equated.

It needs to be settled if the drama is going to be eliminated. It seems to me that it is the one thing that sparks the most dissention in the forum

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I think originally the two were supposed to be equal, given this bullet:

Our Christian faith can not be separated from our views on politics and society, or any other area of life. The Conservative Christian worldview holds the following values and views to be necessary expressions of Christian morality based upon Holy Scripture and the established teachings of the Christian Church.

Upvote 0

NorrinRadd

Xian, Biblicist, Fideist, Pneumatic, Antinomian
Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm wondering how far we want to extend the alleged political and social implications of theological conservatism. I agree with the two cited so far, but I wonder why those would be the *only* two. And as is known from some of the discussions/debates in which I've been involved, there's at least one area where I believe theological conservatism leads to what would "traditionally" be viewed as social liberalism.

Upvote 0

BelindaP

Senior Contributor
Sep 21, 2006
Indianapolis
✟20,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm wondering how far we want to extend the alleged political and social implications of theological conservatism. I agree with the two cited so far, but I wonder why those would be the *only* two. And as is known from some of the discussions/debates in which I've been involved, there's at least one area where I believe theological conservatism leads to what would "traditionally" be viewed as social liberalism.
That's where I stand. I oppose the death penalty, and I believe very strongly that the government should take care of people who can't take care of themselves. Those beliefs derive directly from my conservative theology, but they are considered to be liberal in politics. It is entirely possible to be a political liberal and a theological conservative. There were many of us at one time (including among the founders of the forum), but they were driven off.

But, if most of the forum consists of theological/political conservatives, they need to address the issue. Otherwise, it will continue to be a sore point into the future. And CC may go the way of the Messianic Way forum.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Are there any other issues to be addressed other than abortion and homosexuality? What about general orthodox issues like evolution. Do we have a conservative definition on that?

I was thinking about that one, too. I know that I tend to take a "God did it, that settles it" kinda attitude about creation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are there any other issues to be addressed other than abortion and homosexuality? What about general orthodox issues like evolution. Do we have a conservative definition on that?

We can probably just keep this to deal with any off the wall interpretations.

The Holy Scriptures are inspired, the written Word of God. Scripture is revelation from God given for the instruction of his people in faith, morals, and doctrine. The revelation of scripture is completely reliable and authoritative.

Upvote 0

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I would like to see something salvaged regarding this concept:

• Our Christian faith can not be separated from our views on politics and society, or any other area of life...
Not that I want to see politics/social issues overtake the forum but rather just some sort of statement regarding such conservative values as well.

ps...Personally I'm giving the Christian Current Affairs forum another shot and trying to limit these types of topics to that forum. It wasn't very pleasant the first time I tried it...but it's worth another try to be more considerate of those who do not wish to see a lot of social/political issues being discussed here.

Still it would be nice from time to time be able to have these types of convos with other like-minded conservatives.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I kinda expected all the political talk to quiet down after the election. But it hasn't really. Doesn't bother me either way. I just avoid those threads if I don't feel like getting involved. But I kinda wonder if it's getting to a point where CC could use a subforum for discussing politics (still only for Conservatives though, so it's not an open-season debate forum, of course). Just a thought.

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟34,512.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think the point stands that no topic of importance (such as politics) can truly be seperated from our faith.

Thus I don't think we can limit political conversation.

I think that we should define the issues clearly where the forum holds conservative faith to be the same as conservative politics.

For example, the two clearly mentioned already, abortion and sexual morality issues (including homosexuality but not limited to it) are clear areas where conservative faith and conservative politics match.

Social programs I'm willing to admit are not so clear. While I personally find the theological basis for them to be bad, I can at least see where a theological conservative could arrive at those positions biblically (despite being wrong ;) ).

Death penalty I don't think personally that I care if the forum defines a position on it. Biblically speaking it is clearly allowable and within the government's God given mandate. However, that doesn't necessarily mean its the best option and there is viable debate on that side of the issue.

creation, all theological conservatives have to believe in some form of creation. Whether they believe the universe is old and that God used evolutionary process to create to a certain degree.. they must believe that God is the creator and they must believe that God made man in his own image and likeness. They must also believe in the fall of man from a sinless state into a sinful state.

On the issue of wars, conservative theology has always held that the govenment has the authority to wage war, but that wars can be just or unjust based on the reason for war.

the primary point of conservative theology is that the Bible is inspired, and authoritative, and it is not up for personal, social, or cultural re-interpetation.

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
the primary point of conservative theology is that the Bible is inspired, and authoritative, and it is not up for personal, social, or cultural re-interpetation.

i would add "tradition" (depending on where you sit, of course)...to me the above is a much better statement of faith than listing out a bunch of political issues, i think.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.