manitoba
✟23,118.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fellow Aussies how do you feel about the conservative politicians we may have elect soon here in Australia?

I find the politicians that represent some Christian values also seem to have elements in their parties of values totally against everything Jesus stood for. While some believers will fixate on something such as views on gay marriage as a reason to like a candidate or party it seems other party attitudes contrary to Jesus teachings are overlooked or ignored or the voters embrace these attitudes themselves for some reason.

Spiritlight

✰•.¸¸★•*´¨`*•.¸.✰
Apr 1, 2011
manitoba
✟23,118.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
one thing that comes to mind is Low representation of women and misogynistic attitudes which is contrary to what Jesus did elevating the status of women in a patriarchal society. Another is the way they have a very pale membership and try to appeal to the alt-right with simplistic “lock everyone out and don’t share our wealth” selfish and cruel policies.

Then there is the derogatory slurs the Victorian Liberal party were caught out with when their emails were leaked.

Then there is Palmer and Hanson that aren’t even worth wasting intelligent discussion on..

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
one thing that comes to mind is Low representation of women

Do you mean in Parliament, or in the Public Service?

Parliament is made up of who the Australian people vote for. The Public Service contains many women.

Upvote 0

Spiritlight

✰•.¸¸★•*´¨`*•.¸.✰
Apr 1, 2011
manitoba
✟23,118.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you mean in Parliament, or in the Public Service?

Parliament is made up of who the Australian people vote for. The Public Service contains many women.
The Coalition Liberals/nationals is less than 20% women and might be 10 now existing ones are resigning over sexist oppressive attitudes in the major conservative parties.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I've never come across a politician whose platform I agreed with 100%.

I try to look at their policy platform as a whole.

- How does it respond to the most urgent human needs in our society?
- How does it seek to transform unjust structures, and how is it oriented to peace?
- How does it seek to safeguard, sustain, renew the environment?

For me, same-sex marriage was, in terms of whom I vote for, a complete non-issue. I saw it as inevitable and felt that the church needed to get over the fact that we can't control a secular society (any more?).

As for women's issues... it's nice to see parties encouraging, equipping and supporting women to participate. But I'm more interested in what their policies will mean for the poorest girls and women; will they have the healthcare they need, proper access to education, access to crisis services which meet their needs?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
it's nice to see parties encouraging, equipping and supporting women to participate. But I'm more interested in what their policies will mean

And that part is true for many women on all sides of politics, I think.

Upvote 0

Spiritlight

✰•.¸¸★•*´¨`*•.¸.✰
Apr 1, 2011
manitoba
✟23,118.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've never come across a politician whose platform I agreed with 100%.

I try to look at their policy platform as a whole.

- How does it respond to the most urgent human needs in our society?
- How does it seek to transform unjust structures, and how is it oriented to peace?
- How does it seek to safeguard, sustain, renew the environment?

For me, same-sex marriage was, in terms of whom I vote for, a complete non-issue. I saw it as inevitable and felt that the church needed to get over the fact that we can't control a secular society (any more?).

As for women's issues... it's nice to see parties encouraging, equipping and supporting women to participate. But I'm more interested in what their policies will mean for the poorest girls and women; will they have the healthcare they need, proper access to education, access to crisis services which meet their needs?
That is a well worded and well thought out response. I am concerned a lot about two things in addition to those you mentioned.

1.Does the party continue to sell public assets to China (a communist state we hope remains friendly) and other nations to pay for welfare instead of creating jobs and industry.

2. Does the party represent all of society and contain members that reflect that diversity in gender, health, education, ethnicity, age wealth and privilege and is tolerant of religions.

Upvote 0

Spiritlight

✰•.¸¸★•*´¨`*•.¸.✰
Apr 1, 2011
manitoba
✟23,118.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The less "Christian values" in Australian politics the better I feel.
You’d be feeling pretty good then because there isn’t much lol. The less nutty tinfoil hat wearing alt-right influences the better I feel. Sadly they hang around the conservatives and are a bigger threat to Australia’s way of life than anything at the moment. We don’t want to be in a similar mess as the US by electing Palmer/Hanson types...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,084.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I remember talking to one of our past parish priests a few years ago (although he's still quite active elsewhere) on the business of left and right wing ethics. He had a strong interest in ethics, and I think majored in bioethics, but I'm not sure of that.

As a general comment he said right wing politicians tended to be strong on sexual and family ethics, but not so enthusiastic when it came to economic and social ethics.

Left wing politicians on the other hand tended to be strong on economic and social ethics, but somewhat lax when it came to sexual and family ethics.

And I think his observation still holds.

What is needed are politicians who are strong on both sides of the debate, and they're few and far between. The problem is that their party machine, and therefore their support base, makes it difficult for them to go against the moral or immoral current, if they want to keep their political career.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums