JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's a touchy subject and you just have to let them explore, as long as it doesn't turn into a serious addiction.
Do you know how addictions grow? They grow when certain areas brain are "rewarded" from the use of the drug .. drink .. or from inappropriate contentography. That's exactly how it happens. So, you walk away, leave the kid to figure it for him or herself, and you will raise a inappropriate content addict. When that inappropriate content addict is fully grown, you can guarantee absolute misery for him/her and his/her spouse.

Upvote 0

LilBaxter

Wiccan
May 28, 2012
Florida
✟7,622.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Do you know how addictions grow? They grow when certain areas brain are "rewarded" from the use of the drug .. drink .. or from inappropriate contentography. That's exactly how it happens. So, you walk away, leave the kid to figure it for him or herself, and you will raise a inappropriate content addict. When that inappropriate content addict is fully grown, you can guarantee absolute misery for him/her and his/her spouse.

It doesn't always lead to addiction. You obviously keep a close eye on it, and if it starts getting out of hand then you take control. In my opinion, it's like someone drinking. Some people become alcoholics, and some don't.

I also had a boyfriend once who would watch inappropriate content. Did I like it? No. But after a while he gradually got away from it because he knew I disliked it. It depends on the person and, like I said, just monitor it closely.

You are thinking way ahead of yourself to the worse possible situation.

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have experience of the "worse possible situation" - in my husband's 20+ year addiction to inappropriate contentography. One thing he has learned and has carried out IRL, is not to let our kids walk down that same miserable path. So, when they have been "curious", he has gently but firmly talked to them about it. As someone who has lived this, he can only wish that someone had done the same for him, when it mattered. It's one of the responsibilities we have to our kids.

Upvote 0

LilBaxter

Wiccan
May 28, 2012
Florida
✟7,622.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have experience of the "worse possible situation" - in my husband's 20+ year addiction to inappropriate contentography. One thing he has learned and has carried out IRL, is not to let our kids walk down that same miserable path. So, when they have been "curious", he has gently but firmly talked to them about it. As someone who has lived this, he can only wish that someone had done the same for him, when it mattered. It's one of the responsibilities we have to our kids.

Yes again, not everyone will come to such an addiction. I'm sorry that your husband had to experience that. And I agree, a guiding hand should be lent at the least, but I disagree when said that there should be a punishment involved.

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that withholding internet for a while is not a bad thing. There does need to be a consequence to wrong actions. Mild consequences now are better than severe consequences later. This has occurred with two of our boys, and after their dad had had a gentle talk with them, they had internet withheld for a period of time, after which they were allowed to use the internet again, on the understanding that they would not be looking at inappropriate content. If you would give a child consequences for peeping through a window at a scantily clad woman, why wouldn't you give him consequences for "peeping" at a scantily clad woman online? It's anyway, as much as anything, a break from the internet, which is an exhausting, all consuming occupation for kids who are way too young to handle it. The main thing is that parents are on the ball and they do spot when kids are going awry, and they do deal with it in a non-humiliating manner.

Upvote 0
Sep 27, 2011
✟15,222.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
My opinion, but do not punish him for it. Better yet, make him understand that looking at inappropriate contentgraphy can be very additicing. I have had a problem since I was 16 or better and I am 28 yr old now. I understand he's curious. But explain to him looking at inappropriate contentgraphy is quite similar to the effects of cocaine use. Honestly, I think inappropriate content has the strongest hold on christian men. The urge is strong, espically at his age. There are safe sites and programs that you can download on your computer to keep him from looking at that mess. Do not retain your children from technology. Just be smart about it. My parents never knew and still to this day do not know about my past inappropriate contentgraphy additicion. For one, they weren't computer savy at all and didn't really realize what was going on. Once started, its a hard obsession to break.

Upvote 0

ScottPilgrim

Teacher
Oct 2, 2012
USA
Visit site
✟15,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow! That is Naive! Of course there is an illeagal sex slave trade! Just because inappropriate content is largely accepted in our society (which by the way i think is a disgrace!) doesnt mean that a whole lot of people volunteer to be publicly degraded in this way! Yeah, some do, but they tend to be vulnerable teens with low self esteem who are at first pressured into doing things which they are at uncomfortable with with on the promise that they will get their 'break' into modeling or acting. They then either get used to it and cant live without the money, or feel trapped and too afraid to leave. But that is the least scary way of 'casting' your inappropriate content stars! I can assure you that wherever you live in the west, where there are illeagal immigrants, there are people who have been press ganged into the sex trade/inappropriate content industry. Vulnerable people who again, have been promised a job and a better life are forced into taking part under the belife that they 'owe' somebody something, and yes, these press gangers use threats and they use violence!

So sorry to shatter your idea that in such a great and upstanding nation as America, such unpleasantries couldn't and would'nt go on, but they CAN and they DO!

THAT Is why inappropriate contentography is so bad!

Yes, sex trade does happen in America, but as far as inappropriate contentagraphy goes, that's a whole different industry. Are the women getting treated as objects? Yes. But none of them are getting beaten or raped.

Upvote 0

jminnesota

Sep 4, 2012
US
✟16,633.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
all boys when they hit that age start to wonder about the female body so he might of just been looking just to see what breasts are etc. its good you took it away but it should also be a good time to sit and talk to your kid about sex and what sex is and share gods word with him and if he has questions discuss. and also share that inappropriate content should not be looked at maybe keep computer in kitchen area or something so you know what sites he is looking at etc.

Upvote 0