tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He says as if the two are mutually exclusive.
They aren't, but it's seems a little odd to complain about people discussing/arguing about current news and events in a forum called current news and events. :wave:
tulc(as finishing up his last cup of coffee for the night) :sigh:

Reactions: Yarddog
Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As if everyone on this forum is full of hate? I can enjoy a forest despite a few bad trees.
What is a bad tree? I have seen many forests but I have never seen a bad tree.

• Haha
Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As if everyone on this forum is full of hate? I can enjoy a forest despite a few bad trees.
So why bring it up at all if it's such a small thing? :scratch:
tulc(well...except what's the fun of disliking something if no one knows it's being disliked, right?) :wave:

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is a bad tree? I have seen many forests but I have never seen a bad tree.
how about this one:
42f6982f01559005712fc2e25c8d3ad8.jpg

tulc(thinks that one looks pretty bad) :eek:

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
To be honest about this discussion, and I do not like Trump, but he condemned Nazi's and White Supremacist, though he did say that there were some very fine people on both sides.
Thank you. That's right. He did not call "some KKK and Nazis very fine people" as was claimed on this thread.

He said that there were good people on both sides (also something our friend failed to come clean about). What's more, this was not a secret meeting. So there were bystanders and interested parties who were not known to be members of any of these organizations, including Antifa, but did have an interest in whether the monuments should be left or removed.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So why bring it up at all if it's such a small thing?
To inspire introspection in folks who would be tempted to follow such a path. Or perhaps just to understand what would motivate a Christian to act in such an un-Christlike manner, especially on a site designed to inspire the opposite.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,778.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To inspire introspection in folks who would be tempted to follow such a path. Or perhaps just to understand what would motivate a Christian to act in such an un-Christlike manner, especially on a site designed to inspire the opposite.
What was unChristian about him posting an article about the President having a Hanukkah celebration in the White House and leaving Jewish Democrats off the guest list? (Not that I blame him.)

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To inspire introspection in folks who would be tempted to follow such a path.
That's actually kind of cute. How's it worked for you so far? :scratch:

Or perhaps just to understand what would motivate a Christian to act in such an un-Christlike manner, especially on a site designed to inspire the opposite.
hmmm... I might point out that what you find "un-Christlike" isn't necessarily what others see as "un-Christlike" true, things can get a little...heated around these forums but then that's also why CF started these particular forums, so the people who like discussing these things (and yes even arguing about them) could hang out and argue without disturbing the other Christians who don't like do that. How about this: would it sound better if we started calling other people "Satan, stumbling block, hypocrites, whited sepulchers, full of dead man bones and all manner of uncleanness!"? Because I'm pretty sure those would be against CF rules but then I don't really see the posters here getting to that level. And all of the above are things Christ called people. Would that be "un-Christlike"? :wave:
tulc(is just curious) :sorry:

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He didn't do that, but we already know how the Fake News folks change words and misuse quotes in order to "fit" the purpose.
I don't remember the media saying that he called KKK or Nazis 'fine people' but that he did say that some of the people who were rallying with the white supremacists and others were fine people.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't remember the media saying that he called KKK or Nazis 'fine people'
They sure did!

but that he did say that some of the people who were rallying with the white supremacists and others were fine people.
As I recall (and others too) what was said was that there were fine (or was it good?) people ON BOTH SIDES. The media and the Dems immediately turned that into what you said. They did not want to even make mention of Antifa (with which they sympathize) although those people caused most of the trouble.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Very few people who fought for the South were slave owners but fought to protect their homeland.
Do you mean that they were fighting for their economy?
I think that many fought with the south because family members and neighbors were fighting with the south. It would be very hard battle, often to the death, or take a prisoner that is your own family member, friend, or neighbor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
They were fighting for what we would call today Patriotism. The state was what gave people their identity at that time, not the federation of states that we call the USA. In fact, the USA was referred to as "they" at that time and it only became "it" in our way of speaking at a later time.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As I recall (and others too) what was said was that there were fine (or was it good) people ON BOTH SIDES
That is what I remember as well. That is what I read in the media and then heard with my own ears.
That means that were good/fine people marching with Antifa and others AND that there were good/fine people marching white supremacists and others.

I don't approve of Antifa tactics but marching with white supremacists like the KKK who were carrying torches and chanting "the Jews will not replace us" is just so disgusting to me it almost makes me nauseous. I can't imagine how it made people feel who had lived in the south with hooded men with torches burning crosses in the yards of homes and people were hanged and bombed because of their skin color or ethnic group. This terror it didn't stay in the south; there were incidences all other the country from Montana to New Jersey.
The attitude of these groups and individuals has not changed so why would good/fine people associate with these people in this context? I have to assume that the good/fine people either agree with the white supremacists, etc. or they are just too lazy to do their own rally to protest the removing of the statue.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps I'm trying to understand why some Christians would come to a Christian site and instead of discussing faith engage in seemingly compulsive partisan political hatred. It seems terribly un-Christlike. Oh well, sometime we're called not to understand, but simply to pray.
Hatred is a very strong word.
Jesus engaged with the religious and political leaders of His time. But it isn't Christ-like?
I think that many people can engage with people that they don't agree with, without hating them, but some people can't and therefore, they shouldn't.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,778.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No. They were fighting to protect their homes, land, states, etc... from what many perceived as outsiders trying to force something on them. In my time studying genealogy I've read questionnaires which prisoners of war and those mustering out of military service were asked several questions including their reason for fighting.
Most that I've read didn't list preserving slavery as their reason.
I think that many fought with the south because family members and neighbors were fighting with the south. It would be very hard battle, often to the death, or take a prisoner that is your own family member, friend, or neighbor.
I'm sure it played a part but being from Ky. I can say that in the areas where my ancestry comes from that family members surely fought on both sides.

My GGGrandfather's brother was involved in a skirmish in Western Ky. for the Union while his uncle and another family member fought for the South, though we don't know if they were present for that event.

Upvote 0