• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Congenital heart disorder......

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

belladonic-haze

I have it, was born with it and now am diagnozed with heart failure. I wonder if anyone else has it and how do you cope with it?

My disorder is (are....:p):

Hypertrophy, Right Ventricular: "Enlargement of the right ventricle of the heart. This increase in ventricular mass is often attributed to pulmonary hypertension and is a contributor to cardiovascular morbidity and mortality."

Patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) is a heart condition caused by the failure of the ductus arteriosus to close. The ductus arteriosus normally is a temporary blood vessel connecting the main vessel leading to the lungs (pulmonary artery) to the main vessel of the body (aorta). If the vessel remains open after birth, it is called a patent ductus arteriosus or PDA. PDA occurs in about 10 percent of newborns.

In atrial fibrillation, the atrium contracts in a disorganized and inefficient way and can also affect the conduction of electrical impulses to the ventricle; this may cause your heart to beat too fast. Most people with atrial fibrillation notice an irregular heartbeat. Blood can sometimes form clots in the fibrillating atrium, which can be life threatening if they find their way into your blood vessels, causing strokes or damage to your lungs.

Heart failure: Surgery can repair some underlying causes of heart failure, such as blockage of the coronary arteries, a valve problem, a congenital heart defect, or too thick of a pericardium. However, once the heart's ability to pump blood is severely, permanently, and irreversibly impaired, no surgery can repair the damage. The only alternative is a heart transplant. This option is for patients who are not elderly and who do not have other medical conditions that would make it unlikely for a heart transplant to be successful. Heart transplant evaluations are done in specialized centers.

Intra-aortic balloon pump is used as a temporary support of left ventricle function, such as in a large heart attack, waiting for the heart to recover.

Left ventricle assist device (LVAD) is surgically implanted to mechanically bypass the left ventricle. A clinical trial showed that complications are too high and the device did not significantly prolong life if used on a long-term basis. This device is used as a temporary left ventricle support to get the patient awaiting a heart transplant out of bed.

Left ventricle volume reduction surgery, which removes a piece of dead heart muscle, is considered experimental at this time.

Totally implantable artificial hearts are being developed for patients with severe, end-stage heart failure.

These devices are most commonly used as a temporary bridge to heart transplantation.
This technique is constantly improving but is still limited to specialized centers and is considered experimental at this time.

HappyMomof4

Thank You Jesus!
Aug 9, 2004
✟9,453.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
God bless you! I'm so sorry you're going through such difficulties. I don't have any heart issues, but my son does.

He's doing fine, but how do we deal with it as parents? We take it one day at a time. Hold on through the times of fear and uncertainty to God's love and Pray, Pray, Pray.

Trust in the Doctors to take care of you. They are so smart! And the advances being made in cardio. treatments are amazing. So trust in God, have hope for the best, pray.

Upvote 0

BibleSender

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
✟15,180.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I will be praying about your heart problems and we do have some great doctors now days but God is still the great physican.

Heart disease runs in my family. I lost my only brother at 45 and my mother just passed with heart failure.My father died at age 39.

In May of this year I had a heart attack,triple bypass and a stroke but God has brought me through it all.

I was back to work in 3 mos. and now my doctor calls me the miracle man. I know that my miracle came from God.

We will pray for your miracle now so just believe!
God Bless!

Upvote 0

xladyfayre

Pixie Sunbelle
Nov 19, 2006
✟16,133.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
i have coartation of the aorta....
i had surgery when i was 3 weeks old and almost died.
from age 11 to 20 i attended heart camp.... Due to some problems among my circle of friends....another girl got me removed from camp because i didnt suck up to the assistant director. This may be a good thing though because lately there have been a lot of death and i've been in and out of depression. I'm alright now, i guess though. My heart is fine.... though i still get terrified. i will always have in the back of my mind.

Upvote 0

Elfeyes

Dec 17, 2006
Murray KY
✟15,155.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I've a bicuspid aortic valve. What this means is each time my blood pumps, blood moves back into my heart due to a malformed heart valve. I cope with it by mainly watching what I eat and taking precautions not to get ill if I cannot help it (The doctors have told me that because of this, if I become ill with something as simlpe as a bacterial infection, it could be potentially fatal) I've also super, overclotting blood, which means I am forced to take blood thinners each day. As well as that, my blood pressure has never been normal, no matter what, my iron levels are way low as well, but there are specific foods I cannot eat, so *shrugs* But yeah, coping with theh eart thing is always kinda hard.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.