Confusing information as to how to stay healthy.

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I believe this as I seem to have lived it:

To me......that's another thing that often gets misunderstood----thinking that more is better.

I'm just now stepping into learning all of this.

So.....there is "concentric" (up movement---towards the body)......"eccentric" (down movement---away from the body).....and "isometric" (where the the joint angle and muscle length do not change during contraction ). Is that correct? I'm not even sure what that means (the isometric). So......would that simply be holding a dumb bell (for instance) in a static position to the point of fatigue? Can you give some examples, Andy?

Lets say you were doing a push up. The movement from the floor to the top, is the positive portion of the exercise and lowering to the floor, is the negative portion of the exercise. Negative training for a push up, would require overloading (having someone put weight on your back at the top of the exercise) and slowly (much slower than normal) lowering to the floor. Isometric, would be like pushing up against a wall and keeping your arms at the same angle at all times.

Regarding the comments in the article about the body breaking down muscle and storing fat if you train too hard, that would be really hard to do and would require an athlete who trains hard, to starve themselves of carbohydrates (the glycogen stores in muscles) for that to happen. If an athlete who was training hard, did not have enough carbs over a period of time, they would "hit the wall" and would not be able to maintain their exercise regime. In a fit person, the body would not break down muscle as a priority, but would if the body was starved of nutrition.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm much more interested in nutrition than exercising, so I'll just sit and watch the convo for now :)

And Bhsmte, you should be proud of me. I'm feeling kind of "bleh" tonight (female issues) and I didn't feel like biking at all. But knowing that walking would do me just as much good, if not more, I got my shoes on and took a lovely nighttime walk downtown. Thanks!

Upvote 0