Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
No you do not, but a doctrine that endorses the killing of others is not the doctrine of Christ. To this day the catholic Church still endorses violence and killing for country, family, self defense etc. but the law of Christ has always been against it. This is one of many critical flaws in the catholic doctrine, studying the history of the church does not show a history of Godly men(for the greater part, though some within have been saved by faith) but murderers and ungodly that is why I advise this man to seek out the history of the Church and to ignore the thin excuse that it was only by human error these things were done. But if every Pope from the first(Peter was not a pope) to the current has contradicted the Lord's law it is not human error but a pattern of acceptance of sin(from within the church, from it's head(the Pope) to the minor Clergy) and the encouragement of it.
"Our doctrines" say that we are allowed to defend ourselves and others. In no way is God opposed to this. Have you read the Old Testament? Not only are we allowed (and some would say obligated) to defend our own lives and those of our family, but God sent the Israelites to battle on more than a few occasions. If you have an issue with this, you need to take it up with God, not men.

• Agree
Reactions: BraveJoan14
Upvote 0

StephenDiscipleofYHWH

Jul 11, 2018
Ransom county
✟69,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
"Our doctrines" say that we are allowed to defend ourselves and others. In no way is God opposed to this. Have you read the Old Testament? Not only are we allowed (and some would say obligated) to defend our own lives and those of our family, but God sent the Israelites to battle on more than a few occasions. If you have an issue with this, you need to take it up with God, not men.
Exactly you have to run back to the Old testament that was already fulfilled in Christ in order to preach your doctrine of Violence. Nowhere in the new testament under grace are we told killing any man for any reason is okay, in fact we are told the exact opposite that we are to instead die for Christ and not harm any man no matter the circumstances. I can show you this belief in great detail without having to run back to the OT for support. I prove everything by the word of God alone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MyGivenNameIsKeith

Oct 16, 2017
xcxb xcvb n bv b
✟33,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have been born again and accepted Jesus Christ to my life 6 years ago. I am Catholic btw. Since that time while reading bible I found some contradictions with catholic teachings or confusion. I found that for me it's no difference in what church I am as I think The most important thing is our relationship with Jesus ,but not what church we attend. But also when I start reading bible I get confused with Catholic Church and i feel bad not knowing where is true anymore. It makes me feel like I don't belong neither in Catholic or other churches. I been studying in Vatican theology for a year,but still haven't mad me more clear although it does tract a catholic church as being one of the first and oldest churches ,but trough history there was some bad times where some teachings might changed..Where is the truth some one please help.
The most important thing is the relationship you have with Jesus Christ. This is truth.
God is not the author of confusion. Nor is the Bible the product of such. This is truth.
Your post seems to make clear where your confusion lay. Your heart tells you where the clear path is.
The Word was in the beginning with God. The Word was and is and always will be. Where two or more are gathered in his name....that is a church. Remember that the gate is wide, but the path is narrow.
Also keep in mind Matthew 24:5
" For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. "
This can be interpreted to mean that some people will come claiming they are Christians but deep down they deceive many. Most likely this is due to the fact that they themselves are deceived.
Stick with your relationship with Jesus Christ himself. He is the foundation. Trust in him. Trust his Word. His Word is not a religion. His Word is not a theology. His Word is not a philosophy. His Word is alive. It gives us life, it sustains our life. Just the same as you and me are real, he is real. You've always known where the truth is. It isn't praying to those that have passed away. They cannot save you, for only one can save, that is Jesus Christ. They do not mediate, for there is one mediator between God and mankind, that is Jesus Christ. It isn't praying to a lifeless image of a person, for there is no life in an icon. Life is in Jesus Christ himself. He is the source. Draw closer to God and he will draw closer to you. Prayers, praise, and exaltation belongs to no one else but God.. the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Any variation of that is a spirit twisting the scriptures for the purpose of deception. Many examples can be cited.
And to conclude to help guide you....
2 Timothy 3:16-17
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

There is nothing that the scriptures lack in terms of equipping you with what you need for discerning truth versus fallacy. You already know it.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I would highly recommend the book A Biblical Defense of Catholicism, by Dave Armstrong. It's written by an evangelical Protestant who did an in-depth Bible study to disprove Catholicism, and ended up converting.

I think The most important thing is our relationship with Jesus ,but not what church we attend.
This certainly is the most important part. Remember the 2 most important commandments--love God with all your heart, mind, and soul, and love your neighbor as yourself.

My best friend in college is Protestant, and we will sometimes discuss theology. Naturally, much of these discussions center around the Catholic/Protestant divide. One point she brought up is a different angle on the Good Samaritan story. Samaritans had very skewed theological beliefs; they would be considered very heretical, if that was a term of the time period. But the Samaritan is praised by Jesus Christ Himself, because it didn't so much matter what Church he belonged to, but that he was loving his neighbor, even just some beaten stranger on the road. Keep following the commandments, and the Lord will be with you.

God be with you on your quest; your efforts will not be in vain. Every sincere search for goodness, truth, and beauty is noticed by God, and He doesn't let down those who follow Him with a sincere heart.

Upvote 0

BraveJoan14

"No longer I who lives, but Christ lives in me"
Jul 6, 2018
Emmitsburg, PA
✟11,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Hey there, ovis90!
So, I've been Catholic all my life, but I have definitely asked some of the same questions you have. I still have many but what always keeps me rooted in Catholicism is that we have a harmonious balance of faith, tradition, and reason. Everything we do serves a purpose, from the mass to the prayers. There is also the central authority of the Papacy which acts as a trusted figure, a successor of Peter himself, to guide the Church. Protestants lack this authority and that's why you have different denominations splitting off all the time in history. People disagree so they just start a new church. From where are they deriving their beliefs?
The Catholic Church practices what seems, historically, to be closest to what Christ taught us. This is most important when it comes to the Eucharist. Only Catholics believe in the True Presence of Christ, as commanded by Him at the Last Supper. This is key for many Catholics and this, along with the traditions and the Vatican, tie us back to Christ.
While it's true that the Catholic Church has certainly had its faults (the Inquisition, Indulgences, etc.), these were not dogmatic or truly part of our faith.
We as Christians should not look to the Bible alone as an authority. While it is important and the Word of God, it is human and not fully Divine. There is some imperfection in it because earthly understanding of God can never be perfect. Futhermore, a layperson's understanding of these Scriptures will be different for nearly every reader. That's why we need a central authority to guide us on the meaning of God's word and not "Sola Scriptura".
I recommend reading the writings of St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas if you haven't already. They have really helped me grow in my Catholic faith and I now have no doubts that we are the Church that Jesus commanded Peter to build.
Hope this helps and may God bless you on your faith journey!

Upvote 0

BraveJoan14

Jul 6, 2018
Emmitsburg, PA
✟11,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
The catholic church was established as state religion by Constantine (not Jesus) in 325 A.D. (not the right date).

This statement is false. Constantine Christianized Rome, which was a pagan state prior to the spread of Christianity, but the Catholic church dates back to the Apostles and Church fathers (~37 AD) when Christ gave us the Eucharist. Protestantism didn't come into play until Luther.

Upvote 0

2tim_215

Site Supporter
Sep 9, 2017
New York
✟105,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We are the "true church", the body of believers and are spread out all over the place in all the various local bodies. God knows who we are and we know who we are.
John 10:14 (KJV) I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.

Upvote 0

BraveJoan14

Jul 6, 2018
Emmitsburg, PA
✟11,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I would suggest that you start start out by studying all the things the Catholic church has done starting at the inquisitions, What they did to the Waldensians, what they did to the Petrobrusians, what they did to the Anabaptists and what they did for the first thousand 500 years or so to anyone who disagreed with their doctrine.

You need to add historical context to this one. The ancient brutish practices you list here were typical of the time period. Yes, these practices are primitive but do you see the Catholic Church doing any of this now? No, that's ridiculous. And really? You're going to defend the Anabaptists? Read up on the Munster rebellion.

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am not native speaker we have bible in my country language but for some reason I don't like reading it in my language for me it seems not very good translation or I just prefer more in English because it's more clear,but my English is not perfect so sometimes it's not easy to understand everything perfectly. I been to other churches before to Anglican,baptist and other. I liked there I see better community and I found more similar people who have been born again. In my church it teaches If you leave the church you are fallen away and there is no salvation outside of the church at least that's what Vatican teaches.So there is also fear for leaving.If I leave I would feel like betraying Jesus
I don't encourage people to change churches unless they are sure. But what matters to Jesus is that you follow him. You won't betray him based on what church you attend.

Hedrick is right. Don't leave the Catholic Church because some other church - like the Baptist church - seems friendlier. People come and go in churches and what is friendly one year may not be a year or two later. Make your choice on what you know to be true and talk about it with people that you know well and trust. Talk with people who are wise and can help you understand your own church and the other churches that you visit. And be sure to pray, read the scriptures in your own language, you will understand them better that way, and use English bibles as something to help if you want to, it may be a good way to learn English and to improve your understanding of English words.

God be with you, keep the faith, pray often, and always make good use of wise people who can help you with decisions.

Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been born again and accepted Jesus Christ to my life 6 years ago. I am Catholic btw. Since that time while reading bible I found some contradictions with catholic teachings or confusion. I found that for me it's no difference in what church I am as I think The most important thing is our relationship with Jesus ,but not what church we attend. But also when I start reading bible I get confused with Catholic Church and i feel bad not knowing where is true anymore. It makes me feel like I don't belong neither in Catholic or other churches. I been studying in Vatican theology for a year,but still haven't mad me more clear although it does tract a catholic church as being one of the first and oldest churches ,but trough history there was some bad times where some teachings might changed..Where is the truth some one please help.

In my opinion the Catholic church is probably the farthest off from the scripture as far as sound doctrine go. What I would do is start praying and asking God which church the Lord wants you to go to. I don't just mean a denomination, but a local church that the Lord wants to plant you in. Then go to whatever church He leads you to. It won't be a perfect church but you will have a peace about being there. Then look for opportunities to serve and the Lord will open doors in your life to learn more of Him and what He has called you to do. God bless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NW82

Jul 22, 2017
Chicago, IL
✟80,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Honestly it's very simple. The only tool you need is the Word, the only one you trust is the Lord and throw out everything else... even if you feel like giving up like I do. Throw out tradition, doctrine and opinion.

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It is worth discussing those differences with catholics to see their view of them.

Also to study tradition- which is not as Protestants would have you believe - " a separate set of beliefs" - it is and was the entireity of faith handed down, which is and was the prime means of communication of faith, indeed it is what gives true meaning to scripture.

Even evangelicals belief in tradition, a lot of the views are nowhere in scripture, and scripture itself proves that both OT and NT believed in faith by tradition.

Study the history of the bible itself, and answer the question of how you know you can trust what is in the canon , and what those who chose it believed it meant, and by what authority you can know it is revelation. The bible did not drop out of the sky.

Finally study authority. " the pillar and foundation of truth is the church" - the power to bind and loose, given to apostles jointly also to Peter alone: whose office of keys is heralded in the OT.

Finally study what happens without authority or tradition.
Protestants now have several mutually opposed views of every aspect of doctrine, which is why there are several thousand opposed churches and congreatioms. And is proof that scripture alone is not enough,Yet the truth can only be one. Luther despaired Of it in later life - " there are as many doctrines as heads" he said, which has got a lot worse since he died.

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It is a growing trend for people to find a church that agrees with their own views.
And a disparate and growing number of churches that hold almost any permutation of beliefs.

But there hangs the problem "closest to your beliefs": you hit the nail on the head.
But where did those beliefs come from?

Surely you should choose that which is closest to apostolic beliefs as documented in early fathers on?
INCLUDING the importance of the faith handed down by tradition and authority to earliest christians: as the guide to interpreting scripture.

The reality is scripture does not self interpret, it is not a manual, nor is it unambiguous, nor indeed is it complete in "formal (rather than material) sufficiency" terms. Nor was it even the main method of passage of faith for the early christians.
Take something like polygamy or abortion. You will find the overwhelming view of tradition (faith handed down) is christianity is vehemently opposed to both, regarding both as serious sin - as indeed are probably you and (almost) all christian congregations. But You will struggle to justify that from scripture. It is easy to find in tradition - that is witness of early fathers on to the faith they handed on.

Nor was scripture the main vehicle of passage of christianity.
And that is where the OP should focus.
What was the faith handed down by apostles?

Take the need for succession bishops to preside over valid eucharist of the real presence.It is clearly there in the first writings of Christians. Indeed those taught by john the apostle. The letter from Ignatius to Smyrneans (polycarps church) makes it abundandly clear. Indeed many of the fathers testify to the importance of staying true to the bishop. Iraneus is adamant that truth is that of the Church at Rome.

You will struggle to find that in scripture.

Indeed if that (ie eucharist of real presence, valid only if presided by succession bishop) is not your belief, and I suspect it cant be, you must answer for yourself why you disagree with those actually taught by John the apostle about the true meaning of John 6! etc.

And so must the OP.

When you narrow down churches which hold to the early fathers, you end with a very short list!

I'm a reasonably new Christian as well. (Few years is all)

I'm protestant because that basic set of beliefs are what I see in the Holy Scripture as being the most accurate..

I did speak to the Catholics as well because I was saved outside of a church or anyone who attends one so wanted to be thorough and accurate.. I still chose protestant..

So within the protestant faith I didn't like the overall atmosphere of the church which was closest to my actual beliefs.. so I chose another church, one that was more comfortable for me, and where I could understand the preacher.

But here is why I was good with that difference. Every "church" has their thing, the set of beliefs from the Bible they set their focus on; they don't do it intentionally, but they all do it. Whether it's a product of how they were raised or how they were saved or a mixture of both, I found it impossible, at least in my area, to find a church that seemed very well rounded on the whole. The focus no matter where you go is on that one thing..

So in short, we rely on the Holy Spirit a lot I think and accept that none of us are perfect and perhaps neither is our sight, we are in short, working out our salvation and it's nice to do that where you feel most comfortable, with the people you can relate to the most. It is about Jesus after all..

Just don't fall in with a cult. So be careful and use discernment.

I'm a Baptist..(reformed)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am so happy that you are able to see the contradictions enough to question the religion. People tend to need rules to gain salvation. Catholics don’t enter the rest that comes with salvation because they believe their salvation depends on works of the flesh.

It breaks my heart when I hear people praying to other idols (saints) when in their own Bibles the Lord tells them not to, but again, there’s something about humans that makes them think they need rules/steps/religion for salvation. The Bible is clear about Jesus being the way, the truth and the life.

I learned to rest on God’s promises. If He said it, I believe it. There’s a Bible verse that says...and these signs will follow those who believe: they will cast out demons, heal the sick... I am growing in faith, I know I believe so I just pray over people believing they’ll be healed. Todd White said he prayed for over 1k people before seeing his first healing. I joke that I’ll need to pray for 1,001 people. Anyway, the reason I mention this is because catholics pray to saints who made miracles but in reality everyone who believes in Jesus Christ, and is born again, have the birthright to hear His voice and do miracles as well.

About churches, my advice is to ask the Lord. In my experience He will guide you to the right church where you will grow. He will plant you where you need to be, just remember that He works in seasons so He might eventually ask you to move so be attentive to His voice.

He still speaks. He is amazing = )

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's a practice, not even a doctrine.

Besides, the verse doesn't say that the bishop must currently be married or have ever been married. It only says that, if he is married, he shouldn't seek to remarry if his wife dies before him. This makes the most sense, as Paul elsewhere writes that widowers shouldn't seek to remarry, so that they may devote themselves wholly to God's work (1 Cor 7:8, 32-34).

Certainly you know the rest of the passage? In particular, the verse right before this one?

But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all brethren.

Jesus must have forgotten that He said this, then? Because just before His Ascension, He told the apostles:

Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, to the close of the age.

Scripture doesn't always need to be taken literalistically. If we took this course, the Bible would be full of contradictions just as the atheists claim. Jesus said to call no one rabbi, since we have one teacher, but then He turns around and gives the apostles the duty of teaching? Would you have us believe that Jesus had forgotten? Or perhaps the apostles themselves had forgotten, as they frequently refer to their own disciples as their children, and themselves as their fathers. For example, Paul says in 1 Corinthians 4:15,

For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel.

Jesus was warning against pride. He employed hyperbole to make His point.

If only you were there in the garden of Gethsemane to warn Jesus about heaping up vain repetitions, as He Himself spoke the same words all three times (Matthew 26:44).

Or, maybe you recognize that not all repititions are vain, and that Jesus wasn't wrong to do what He did. So, you have to prove that the rosary is a vain repetition.

(Side note, I find it curious how it's always the rosary being targeted, never the use of the chotki, and never the Our Father).

You are right to say that there is one mediator between God and men- but who mediates between ourselves and Jesus? (who is also God, mind you)

Firstly, you take this verse out of context. Let me remind you that this is from the same chapter which opens with:

First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all men

What does it mean to intercede? Wouldn't that be exactly what Bathsheba did for Adonijah (1 Kings 2:19)? In other words, to have someone else bring your petition to someone with the power to grant or deny it? And yet would you say that it's wrong to ask Reverend Tim-Tom to pray for your intentions?

Of course not. Your insistence is that it's wrong for us to ask the saints in heaven- those who have gone before us and have seen God "face to face"- to ask God to grant something we desire. And why is that? It can't be because "the dead can't hear us", because they indeed can. Even the prophet Samuel was called upon by King Saul after he had died, as Saul sought guidance when the Lord had ceased speaking with Him. And Samuel accurately relayed what would happen to Saul the next day (Samuel 28). And then we have the book of Revelation, which makes it sufficiently clear that the saints in heaven are well aware of what is happening on earth- they are the ones presenting our prayers to Jesus. In other words, they are mediating for us. Which brings me to my next point: if we have one mediator between God and man, who is Jesus, who are you to say that there are no mediators between man and Christ?

When you ask your pastor, your husband, your wife, your brother, sister or friend to pray for you, you are doing precisely what Paul urged us to do in the beginning of his epistle, and they are acting as intercessors for us, just as the saints are.

If it not a doctrine can I become bishop If Im married alredy or pope ? My local priest is telling me different .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is a growing trend for people to find a church that agrees with their own views.
And a disparate and growing number of churches that hold almost any permutation of beliefs.

But there hangs the problem "closest to your beliefs": you hit the nail on the head.
But where did those beliefs come from?

Surely you should choose that which is closest to apostolic beliefs as documented in early fathers on?
INCLUDING the importance of the faith handed down by tradition and authority to earliest christians: as the guide to interpreting scripture.

The reality is scripture does not self interpret, it is not a manual, nor is it unambiguous, nor indeed is it complete in "formal (rather than material) sufficiency" terms. Nor was it even the main method of passage of faith for the early christians.
Take something like polygamy or abortion. You will find the overwhelming view of tradition (faith handed down) is christianity is vehemently opposed to both, regarding both as serious sin - as indeed are probably you and (almost) all christian congregations. But You will struggle to justify that from scripture. It is easy to find in tradition - that is witness of early fathers on to the faith they handed on.

Nor was scripture the main vehicle of passage of christianity.
And that is where the OP should focus.
What was the faith handed down by apostles?

Take the need for succession bishops to preside over valid eucharist of the real presence.It is clearly there in the first writings of Christians. Indeed those taught by john the apostle. The letter from Ignatius to Smyrneans (polycarps church) makes it abundandly clear. Indeed many of the fathers testify to the importance of staying true to the bishop. Iraneus is adamant that truth is that of the Church at Rome.

You will struggle to find that in scripture.

Indeed if that (ie eucharist of real presence, valid only if presided by succession bishop) is not your belief, and I suspect it cant be, you must answer for yourself why you disagree with those actually taught by John the apostle about the true meaning of John 6! etc.

And so must the OP.

When you narrow down churches which hold to the early fathers, you end with a very short list!

Where do you think our beliefs are coming from, ourselves? We are being called by God to the faith in Christ Jesus... we are coming with some basics in place.

Would it be lovely if there was a church that was as close to apostolic as possible? Yes.. but guess what? As much as you want to believe there is, there really isn't!

The Roman Catholic church just isn't what she thinks of herself at all.. God's Kingdom isn't here nor is it controlled by the RCC and the path to Jesus isn't through the RCC and the RCC doesn't control our salvation - as much as she wants to.

I can say that she did some good things for us all, as we wouldn't have things like the scriptures preserved, but things that are extra biblical isn't from God and I'm simply unconcerned with them.

Tradition changes over time... it's inevitable, what never changes is God's Word.

And guess what? He's Living! And active... we wouldn't be here at all if that wasn't the case..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are 7 different churches in the beginning of the book of revolution. They all have something they need to overcome. God works on us as individuals. Peter talks about how we are living stones. In Kings we read that when they built the temple the stones were already prepared. God is doing a work in our life individually. I do not have any issue with any of the churches because the Holy Spirit is to be our Guide and our Teacher, so we do not need man to teach us. It is nice to know what God is doing in the lives of other believers. We all have our own gifts and abilities so God is not doing the same work in us. He works in us individually. We are told the gifts of God are for the people of God so we know God wants to minister to people and sometimes He works in and though us to give people the strength, healing and understanding they need.

you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 1Peter 2:5

7 The temple was constructed using finished stones cut at the quarry, so that no hammer, chisel, or any iron tool was heard in the temple while it was being built. 1 Kings 6:7

As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit--just as it has taught you, remain in him. 1 John 2:27

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Here's one of the best examinations about which church gets it right.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,054.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I was not raised in a Christian home, I was saved 8 years ago. Neither I have found the perfect church for me. My home church were I go on Sundays is a Lutheran church. But since getting to know the teachings of the early Church, I start to disagree with some of the stuff of the Lutheran teachings. I also attend the Catholic church on workdays, and go to prayer meetings at a pentecostal church in town. So I haven't found a church that fully fit my faith.

What I look for in a church, is that they take Christ seriously, and want to live their lives for Christ. Then I'm not that concerned with variations of some of the teachings. I wouldn't attend Calvinistic churches since that kind of teaching has been very destructive to me. And I don't like to attend liberal churches, since that's only makes me angry.

I'm still looking for a true home church, where I feel I really belong. We'll see what the future will bring, where God will lead me.

If you are interested in the teachings of the first Christians, you could check out David Bercot. You'll find him on youtube. He also got an homepage, where you find more stuff.

http://www.scrollpublishing.com/store/index.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have been a Catholic for almost 40 years. I was raised a Baptist but was Evangelical until God called me into the Catholic Church. The transition wasn't easy because of my old teachings but God's Spirit slowly helped me understand.

I haven't found anything in Catholic teaching which is contradictory to scripture. I guess one of the big reasons the Church discourages Catholics from attending some other churches is the Eucharist. For Catholics and some other ancient churches, Jesus is present physically and spiritually in the Mass while some newer Churches reject that or have different teachings of the real presence in the Eucharist.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.