• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Confused..and how do i get better???

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 14, 2006
washington
✟7,644.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
please i need answers. i have been diagnosed with ocd. i get better from disturbing thoughts and impulses and then i get worse. right now its real bad. i have all these impulses and thoughts and doubts. i have a boyfriend and i am constantly doubting his and my relationship, i keep worrying and doubting what if i want to be with someone else, what if there is someone better for me. i hate these doubts. then i have thoughts and impulses that tell me how do i know i dont want to hurt my friends and family. and then how do i know that i dont want to become out of control and crazy. im sorry all of this sounds so evil..and i feel evil. it feels like im going to turn into an evil out of control person. how can i stop this. i get horrible anxiety and fears from this. i need help. why am i like this? is there any hope? why would God not take this away..i have prayed and prayed about it. i go up and down so much. i feel scared, depressed and afraid im going to do something bad and that i want to do bad stuff. please pray for me and please give some adivice on what i should do. the ocd or whatever also tells me i dont want to get help from this, that i want to be this way, that i wont be able to help myself from becoming out of control. i feel metally insane. i just want out of this, but i cant get out of it. what do i need to do?

marcb

May 4, 2006
California
✟8,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can relate to the out of control feelings. You will not act on them. The fact that they bother you means they are against your nature. They are just thoughts, but thoughts to which you have a high sensitivity, because they are so out of your character. Although mine are of a different nature, OCD can leave you feeling really upside down. The good news is God loves you and knows your heart (better than you do). Prayer is good. God can work through others, and this is where you have to trust others (Pastors, Doctors, parents, close friends). Trusting others is sometimes difficult with OCD. My pastor told me that if it helped, just picture being blind and let others lead until you get in the right frame of mind. With medication, counseling, honesty, and FAITH in God and those who do his work, I am beginning to feel better. This has been a growth experience and at times, I am thankful for this growth. There are other times when things get upside down again, but that's when you draw on what you learned from the more clear moments. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Jesus Is Real

Feb 27, 2003
Texas
✟5,289.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
FaithIsNotAFeeling said:
please i need answers. i have been diagnosed with ocd.
i get better from disturbing thoughts and impulses and then i get worse. right now its real bad. i have
all these impulses and thoughts and doubts. i have a boyfriend and i am constantly doubting his and
my relationship, i keep worrying and doubting what if i want to be with someone else, what if there
someone better for me. i hate these doubts. then i have thoughts and impulses that tell me how do i
know i dont want to hurt my friends and family. and then how do i know that i dont want to become
out of control and crazy. im sorry all of this sounds so evil..and i feel evil. it feels like im going to turn
into an evil out of control person. how can i stop this. i get horrible anxiety and fears from this. i need help.
why am i like this? is there any hope? why would God not take this away..i have prayed and prayed about
it. i go up and down so much. i feel scared, depressed and afraid im going to do something bad and that i
want to do bad stuff. please pray for me and please give some adivice on what i should do. the ocd or
whatever also tells me i dont want to get help from this, that i want to be this way, that i wont be able
to help myself from becoming out of control. i feel metally insane. i just want out of this, but i cant get
out of it. what do i need to do?

FaithIsNotAFeeling,

Do you believe that you are being attacked by
the demonic, since it was a part of Jesus' Ministry
as well?

In His Love,
Connie

Upvote 0
May 14, 2006
washington
✟7,644.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
thank you to everyone for replying to what i wrote. I do believe i am being attacked by the enemy real bad, because my thoughts r becoming so bad I am doubting everything about me now that I have never doubted before and it brings me to want to just give in to the impulses (but of course i would never do that) its like i have my clear mind where i can feel okay and fine and then when i start having these obssessions and impulses i dont even know myself anymore. My boyfriend who i love, but have been having doubts towards, is really into spiritual warfare, he says what i am going through is th devil attacking me real bad, he doesnt believe in taking meds for your mind because he thinks the enemy is the one attacking me so meds just numb you up and he thinks its the same as getting drunk to calm your mind down or something...which i tried prozac once and i made me feel numb. what i mosly feel bad about is this i have a sweet boyfriend who lives in a different state we have been going out for like a year, then i just start getting horrible impulses to break up with him and go after someone else who is different...isnt this just my sinful nature that lust after the things of the world or is it ocd that keeps making me question and doubt stuff so much. i just want to have a normal life..i dont want to fear that im going to turn into someone who is going to be out of control with no morals, or be unfaithful to my boyfriend, or leave God. i dont know if what im saying makes sense, im also very anti social so thats hard on me because i dont do well around ppl, im working out that though. i just have so many problems in my life its overwhelming.

Upvote 0

inHisgripkim

You Are The Salt And Light Of The World
Apr 5, 2006
Arizona
✟10,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
FaithIsNotAFeeling said:
thank you all also for all of your prayers. Its hard for me to pray sometimes, so its good to know others are interceding for me.
God Bless
If you aren't willing to go on meds, ask yourself the next time you have ocd thoughts,"is this life threatening?"

Start having two voices. One is your OCD voice, but one comes from the real Christ-centered you.

You have to talk your ocd thoughts down. Is this life threatening. No it is not. Is this really fact. No it is not. Is this. .. If no, then in the name Jesus rebuke the thoughts and tell yourself to move on and tell yourself everything is okay and God is in control.

OCD is a mind battle but learning to fight back is right step forward. Hang in there and fight back the OCD thoughts. Rebuke them in Christ.

Upvote 0
May 14, 2006
washington
✟7,644.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
just today my ocd thoughts got really bad to wear i thought i was going to freak out and go out of control. it is so true how there are two voices i am battling, because sometimes i can think logicaly but when the thoughts come, i am not myself as in i cant let myself know its not me, i start questioning mabey is me and mabey i want to be the person the thoughts bug me about, the thoughts that have come really bad to me are thoughts of hurting other ppl whom i absolutly love, sometimes i can tell myself its not me other times i question if this is me and i start doubting myself and wondering if thats the kind of person i want to be, when i know its of the devil and i know its horrible...its a cycle in my brain that wont shut down. i dont care anymore i am going to take medicine for it because it gets so bad. has anyone had similar ocd thoughts of feeling impulses and thoughts of hurting those around you? it makes no sense why a person would have those thoughts, i never wanted to have those thoughts..one just pops into my mind and i go over and over and agonize over if its something that i really want or what. i know its not something i want but i cant get that through to my mind when it gets so bad. has anyone had it really bad b4? i just want to know if there is hope..i really dont want to put up with these thoughts anymore. does meds and counseling help alot? srry for all the questions but im deperate to find answers to the questions i have about getting help for this. i cant wait to give God glory for when i am completly healed.

Upvote 0

Eric29

Sep 17, 2005
✟148.00
Faith
Nazarene
Hello and welcome to the boards. Well first off let me tell you a little about my self. I have tried to be a christian for two years now and let me tell you when they say that your life will get better by coming to christ is not always true. Mine got worse and man I somehow got ocd along the way and let me tell you I know exactly what your going throug with all the voices and many other things etc. I can tell you that the voices got so bad with my mind that I seriously thought that I was demon possesed and went to a a church counceler and he knew right away that I was not but it was just ocd doing this too me. Well I also can relate too the relationship thing but mine is with God I want to have fellowship with him and I pray read his word and go too church and man I never fell like a christian and never feel loved by God and feel like he hates me cause I don't have the kind of real faith he wants from me. I feel like cause he does not answer prayer when I get bad that he does not care period and when I go to church and see how people have joy in Jesus and others have cool testimony's to speak about and how God is doing awesome work in there lives and I have nothing like that and mine is the opposite I get real bitter really fast and am not happy camper. I try and try to have joy but I feel like everything I do in life is wrong and I am not aloud to do anything. I get too many thoughts everyday that are horrible and start too wonder is that me do I want to just go out and totaly rebel against God and be totaly evil. I get many evil thoughts about cussing out God and and telling to get the bleep out of my life etc and more. I will tell you this that I cried just reading your message cause I feel you pain and what you go through and your not the only one. I wish I could say something about God that would help you but I am not getting anywhere in life right now and don't know where things are heading for me. I want to feel secure and forgiven by God and that he cares and will save my soul from Hell but I don't really know anymore. People tell me I am saved etc but man if I am like this and such how is that supposed to make me feel good. People just say claim it in Jesus name. Well let metell you I try and man I just don't last more then a couple of days and I am down and depressed again. So I pray that God will help us both and make himself known in our hearts and have some sort of comfort in all this. Well you take care and pray you get all the help you can get cause I know I need it bad.

Eric

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

marcb

May 4, 2006
California
✟8,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

First, you are not alone. You are describing OCD and it seems to affect what is most important to you (boyfriend, family, being a good Christian). I am not a psychologist, but OCD seems to be your mind perseverating on your worst fears and doubting your ability to fulfill your dreams. It is anxiety driven. The more you try not to think about something, the stronger the thoughts get. (e.g., try NOT to think about a pink elephant). It is also disturbing and depressing. Fortunately, there are medications out there that treat anxiety and depression all in one pill. The meds are not magic, and they don't change you. They simply replace what is missing and get YOUR brain chemistry back into balance.

So my advice is to see your doctor if you haven't already. If your doctor feels medication is appropriate, follow the directions and be patient (the meds take at least a month - I'm one month into Lexapro and just starting to normalize). Get a referral to a psychologist or counselor to help you with cognitive therapy and coping strategies. Hope this helps. I'd be happy to address any other questions. I'm in this too.

God bless,

Marc

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.