Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I have a few queries about what Christians believe and would appreciate some clarifications from Christians if possible:

1. My understanding is that everyone will be judged when Jesus returns, so there are currently people who died up to around 2000 years ago, where are their souls now?

2. What happens to babies/ infants/ children who die? If they are very young how can they have made a decision to follow Christ, so what happens to their souls? How are they judged? If a child is brought up in a (say) very strict Muslim house and dies at (say) 14 years old, how are they judged?

3. Is the only choice between a Heaven with eternal life in paradise and Hell with eternal life in damnation, fire and all that goes with it. Are Heaven and Hell physical places?

4. Are you supposed to be physically resurrected, if so presumably you never age therefore what age are you at this physical resurrection? If you die as a child or teenager are you resurrected into the body you would have had later?

Thanks in anticipation.

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have a few queries about what Christians believe and would appreciate some clarifications from Christians if possible:

Most of these questions are not answered definitively by the Bible, so you may get varying answers, but I'll try to answer as best I can

1. My understanding is that everyone will be judged when Jesus returns, so there are currently people who died up to around 2000 years ago, where are their souls now?

The righteous (saved) dead are in heaven with God, while the unsaved dead are in a place called Hades in Greek and Sheol in Hebrew.

2. What happens to babies/ infants/ children who die? If they are very young how can they have made a decision to follow Christ, so what happens to their souls? How are they judged? If a child is brought up in a (say) very strict Muslim house and dies at (say) 14 years old, how are they judged?

This is not definitely answered in Scripture. My thought is that it is not just to condemn someone who is not able to understand their crime (even our courts recognize that), so I believe that young children will not be condemned. I believe that God, in His mercy, applies Jesus' atonement to them. A 14 year old is able to know right from wrong, but if that child has never heard the gospel, I am not sure how God will judge them, but I trust that God is just and merciful, and will do what is perfectly right.

3. Is the only choice between a Heaven with eternal life in paradise and Hell with eternal life in damnation, fire and all that goes with it. Are Heaven and Hell physical places?

This is a particularly contentious question within Christianity. Some would say that the unsaved dead are annihilated, others say they experience a literal fiery hell for all eternity, but I think that the lake of fire is figurative. Think about it... no where in Scripture does it say that the unsaved dead will be given a resurrection body, only the saved receive one. So what is the point of fire to a disembodied spirit? The point is that it is a place you do not want to go. I think hell is an actual place, but am unsure what you mean by physical.

4. Are you supposed to be physically resurrected, if so presumably you never age therefore what age are you at this physical resurrection? If you die as a child or teenager are you resurrected into the body you would have had later?

I don't know.

Reactions: YouAreAwesome
Upvote 0

Dave RP

Jun 9, 2015
London
✟63,350.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Most of these questions are not answered definitively by the Bible, so you may get varying answers, but I'll try to answer as best I can

The righteous (saved) dead are in heaven with God, while the unsaved dead are in a place called Hades in Greek and Sheol in Hebrew.

This is not definitely answered in Scripture. My thought is that it is not just to condemn someone who is not able to understand their crime (even our courts recognize that), so I believe that young children will not be condemned. I believe that God, in His mercy, applies Jesus' atonement to them. A 14 year old is able to know right from wrong, but if that child has never heard the gospel, I am not sure how God will judge them, but I trust that God is just and merciful, and will do what is perfectly right.

This is a particularly contentious question within Christianity. Some would say that the unsaved dead are annihilated, others say they experience a literal fiery hell for all eternity, but I think that the lake of fire is figurative. Think about it... no where in Scripture does it say that the unsaved dead will be given a resurrection body, only the saved receive one. So what is the point of fire to a disembodied spirit? The point is that it is a place you do not want to go. I think hell is an actual place, but am unsure what you mean by physical.

I don't know.

Thank you for your response.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
there are currently people who died up to around 2000 years ago, where are their souls now?
I don't know; God does what is really right with each person > each reaps so much more than one has sown > Galatians 6:7-8.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What happens to babies/
What God decides, according to His overall perspective and purpose.

If a child is brought up in a (say) very strict Muslim house and dies at (say) 14 years old, how are they judged?
One, I would say, is judged according to his or her real character.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is the only choice between a Heaven with eternal life in paradise and Hell with eternal life in damnation
"God is love" (in 1 John 4:8&16 ); He has no second-best choice for those who want Him.

damnation, fire and all that goes with it.
I consider Hebrews 12:29.

Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thanks in anticipation.
Hi Do you believe in THE GOSPEL?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is confusion and disagreement about what the words hell, gehenna, sheol, hades, and the phrases, in the grave, Abraham's "bosom" (from Luke 16:19-31), and others refer to, and who was there before Christ and who is there now. The "lake of fire" is separate from these, but in the end, I personally just lump them into "the place(s) of eternal torment." I doubt anyone who lands there (or does not) will care about the distinctions.

However, I should mention that the degree of torment will not be the same for everyone (Luke 12:47-48), although it will be incomprehensibly awful for everyone. The attributes of God will not exist in hell (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control, compassion, forgiveness, etc.) which includes life as we can understand it (God is the source and sustainer of Life.)
If parents raised a child to believe in the Bible and Jesus and salvation by believing what he said, would it be moral for that to affect the child's ability to choose to follow Christ or not? Wouldn't the reverse be true as well?

Everyone is born separated from God and on the path to hell, because we inherit a sinful nature from our parents. Jesus died to pay for everyone's sins, but if one does not know about him, his sacrifice, or have not yielded to his Lordship, then he cannot avoid where his nature has him headed. Yielding to God is a necessary moral component for him to save someone. This is very hard for some people to accept, and I think it always will until one recognizes the truth of how evil humans are in their nature. Everyone deserves eternal punishment because anything tainted with sin cannot withstand God's pure presence. His glory emanates from him. People tainted with sin who were visited by angels on earth fell down with no strength and would have died if left in that state (the symptoms sound a lot like shock). Learning this requires knowing God, who does not change, rather than taking cues for what is moral from our ever-changing society. It begins as an intellectual pursuit, since it is so far from what we are used to.

There is a kind of sense in which this is unfair, however, the fault lies squarely with Christians and not with God. Jesus commanded his disciples to go into all the world to tell people about him. But most Christians have behaved like everyone else and not like Jesus commanded. It is humans who are responsible for the ministry of reconciliation with God (from 2 Corinthians 5:18-20).

if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. (2 Chronicles 7:14, 1984 NIV)

In spite of terrible Christian failings, God wants to save everyone and works to that end, but he won't override anyone's free will.

However, there is hope for everyone,

since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20, 1984 NIV)

for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” (Romans 10:13, 1984 NIV)

On this topic, the Lord showed me the passage in which this verse appears:

Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden. (Romans 9:18, 1984 NIV)

As in all things, God does what he chooses, but we can move his heart in one direction or another.

Unfortunately we are living in a time of "darkness," where everyone has a bad case of spiritual blindness (as predicted by Jesus) that makes it hard for anyone to recognize the truth. Consider how different our culture is from one where everyone is doing what God said to do (and what not to do). It hasn't always been as bad as it is now.
Scripture always speaks as if these are real places. A person cannot justify the existence of heaven without justifying the existence of hell. If one believes God made everyone to exist forever, then what happens to someone when they die if they don't go to heaven or hell? There is no "annihilation" in Scripture, which, by the way, would require God to act immorally. People don't get into heaven because they have not genuinely accepted Christ's payment for their sins, and their sin remains a part of them, so they have to pay for their own sins for justice to be served. God sacrificed his son so humans wouldn't get what they earned for themselves, but people prefer to reject him and do what they want (sometimes called "being their own God").

The fact that the payment is torment forever does seem unfair, but we can at least try to recognize that everyone will exist forever and nothing can change that—that's how God created us. His goal was to create humans in his likeness, and he succeeded (of course). Every sin is a form of rejection of God ("I want to set my own moral standards"), and every sin is against an eternal being who is our creator. People who persist in rejecting God will get exactly what they wanted: existence without God.
I don't know in what way our age at the time of our death will affect us. We will all get new and different bodies (1 Corinthians 15:35-38). Note that heaven is not the final destination of saved people. God will remake the earth (without the effects of sin) and there will be a "New Jerusalem" where we live with God. There isn't a lot of detail about that, so it lends itself to human imagination for more detail (along with many other things that aren't explained in Scripture).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave RP

Jun 9, 2015
London
✟63,350.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Hi Do you believe in THE GOSPEL?

No, I believe the Bible/ the Gospel are a series of myths and legends. I was just trying to understand the basis of Christian beliefs as I am dating a Christian and felt that a discussion of here would help my understanding.

Upvote 0

Alla27

English is my second language
Dec 13, 2015
Idaho
✟9,156.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, I believe the Bible/ the Gospel are a series of myths and legends. I was just trying to understand the basis of Christian beliefs as I am dating a Christian and felt that a discussion of here would help my understanding.
why don't you ask her? different Christians have diffrent answers to your questions.
then you will better understand person you date.

Upvote 0

Dave RP

Jun 9, 2015
London
✟63,350.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
why don't you ask her? different Christians have diffrent answers to your questions.
then you will better understand person you date.

I have asked her but she only knows what she's been taught in her church all her life and struggles with questions, so I explained that her churches interpretation of the bible is only one interpretation, and there are huge numbers of conflicting beliefs.

Foe example she really struggles with 3 things in particular, one is "Life everlasting". She just doesn't undestand how that can possibly work although that's what the bible says.

Secondly she doesn't understand how people she's met from other faiths or no faith who are inherently good in this life, kind helpful considerate etc will be in eternal pain and damnation and she can't reconcile that with her understanding of a loving God.

Thirdly she cannot envisage what happens to infants who die, suppose a very young child dies before they're capable of knowing God (whichever god that is), they're innocent so should be in heaven but their Muslim/ Hindu/ atheist parent will be in eternal damnation. She doesn't undestand how a caring loving God can do that.

I tell her my opinion, which is that if there is a god, and if he judges people, and if there's a heaven it won't be reserved for people following a restricted or exclusive form of the truth on their interpretation, or the interpretation of some form of authority but will be based on what's in their hearts.

I don't know enough about Christian beliefs to illustrate this with examples, hence my question.

Upvote 0

Alla27

English is my second language
Dec 13, 2015
Idaho
✟9,156.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have asked her but she only knows what she's been taught in her church all her life and struggles with questions, so I explained that her churches interpretation of the bible is only one interpretation, and there are huge numbers of conflicting beliefs.

Foe example she really struggles with 3 things in particular, one is "Life everlasting". She just doesn't undestand how that can possibly work although that's what the bible says.

Secondly she doesn't understand how people she's met from other faiths or no faith who are inherently good in this life, kind helpful considerate etc will be in eternal pain and damnation and she can't reconcile that with her understanding of a loving God.

Thirdly she cannot envisage what happens to infants who die, suppose a very young child dies before they're capable of knowing God (whichever god that is), they're innocent so should be in heaven but their Muslim/ Hindu/ atheist parent will be in eternal damnation. She doesn't undestand how a caring loving God can do that.

I tell her my opinion, which is that if there is a god, and if he judges people, and if there's a heaven it won't be reserved for people following a restricted or exclusive form of the truth on their interpretation, or the interpretation of some form of authority but will be based on what's in their hearts.

I don't know enough about Christian beliefs to illustrate this with examples, hence my question.
There are answers to these questions(every one of them) but I can not answer them in your thread. I am not considered to be a Christian here.
We just have to remember that Gospel of Jesus Christ is Good News. It is Good News for ALL people - Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Atheists, or whatever. It is bad news only for devil and his demons(fallen angels).

Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thanks in anticipation.
Hi Dave,

That's a lot of questions. :)
  1. Time was part of what God "created"...it's made up, not real in the way that we think. God is timeless, so to answer the question, the answer is not relative to our experiencing time within the realm of time, but rather to the timelessness of God. The term "in the twinkling of an eye" is a biblical expression to help us understand that all things "were" actually instantaneous. Think of it all like a book that was written. It has no time, but has a story line that follows a timeline that is not relative to the Author or actual reality. We experience time much like we read a book that was written before our time. If we are half the way through the book, does not mean the book is not finished...it just means we are not finished. - So...even the Judgement is finished. What then is the point, you might ask? The point is, that God has provided you with the opportunity to play out your choices in life. But don't misunderstand - you are not making your choices after the fact, after the Judgement - time is a created illusion...your instantaneous moment - is now.
  2. Same answer.
  3. There are no "physical places." Space, matter, and time are the created apex of your instantaneous moment...which has been played out for you in slow motion...so you can decide if you will be good or evil for eternity.
  4. Again, there are no "physical bodies", it is rather context property, wherein you personally experience what God has done.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave RP

Jun 9, 2015
London
✟63,350.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Hi Dave,

That's a lot of questions. :)
  1. Time was part of what God "created"...it's made up, not real in the way that we think. God is timeless, so to answer the question, the answer is not relative to our experiencing time within the realm of time, but rather to the timelessness of God. The term "in the twinkling of an eye" is a biblical expression to help us understand that all things "were" actually instantaneous. Think of it all like a book that was written. It has no time, but has a story line that follows a timeline that is not relative to the Author or actual reality. We experience time much like we read a book that was written before our time. If we are half the way through the book, does not mean the book is not finished...it just means we are not finished. - So...even the Judgement is finished. What then is the point, you might ask? The point is, that God has provided you with the opportunity to play out your choices in life. But don't misunderstand - you are not making your choices after the fact, after the Judgement - time is a created illusion...your instantaneous moment - is now.
  2. Same answer.
  3. There are no "physical places." Space, matter, and time are the created apex of your instantaneous moment...which has been played out for you in slow motion...so you can decide if you will be good or evil for eternity.
  4. Again, there are no "physical bodies", it is rather context property, wherein you personally experience what God has done.

Is all that biblical?

Upvote 0

Dave RP

Jun 9, 2015
London
✟63,350.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
There are answers to these questions(every one of them) but I can not answer them in your thread. I am not considered to be a Christian here.
We just have to remember that Gospel of Jesus Christ is Good News. It is Good News for ALL people - Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Atheists, or whatever. It is bad news only for devil and his demons(fallen angels).

But you are a Christian ho follows a particular interpretation of the bible, am I correct in that? Your founder discovered gold tablets, subsequently lost, explaining all this. Do you really believe that happened?

Upvote 0

Dave RP

Jun 9, 2015
London
✟63,350.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Yes...but you won't hear it from the slumbering crowds.
I feel that's your personal interpretation, and you'd have a fascinating but unresolved theological discussion with hundreds of "Christians" on here.

Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I feel that's your personal interpretation, and you'd have a fascinating but unresolved theological discussion with hundreds of "Christians" on here.
"Interpretation" is for those who read the words but do not understand. That is not what I have done here.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.