Supporter
Dec 14, 2010
✟79,084.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm a former Baptist pastor...

I'm sorry to disappoint you but all Baptists have a lineage that traces back to the Reformation. There were some histories that floated around that tried to give Baptists a traceable lineage back to the early church. These were not accurate. Baptists, depending on the flavor, come directly from the Reformation or from the Anabaptists, who were reformers themselves. I believe that bad history was an attempt to make Baptists the "one true church."

No they don't. Most Baptists commune quarterly or semi-annual. There are some that do commune monthly and at least one local church that I know of communes weekly, but it is taking a strong Reformed line.
Duh I’m a Southern Baptist LOL

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay. I've heard of this type of thinking. (It's the Trail of Blood idea?) But I'm not sure how Baptists as we know them today pre-date the Reformation.

Very few Baptists today would hold to that history.

• Agree
Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I see Baptist as Protestant in the sense of being not-Catholic. Some Baptist don't like the label, but their church came out of the Protestant reformation.
They are Protestant for certain, but not because they are not Catholic. Like other Protestants, Baptists adhere to the key principles of the Reformation--Sola Scriptura, Sola Fide, Sola Gratia, the priesthood of all believers, and two sacraments of the Gospel (although Baptists prefer the word ordinances).

Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Very few Baptists today would hold to that history.
Hi Brother ..you may appreciate this as a former Baptist pastor ..maybe not ..I am just trying for truth. Would you say that the Baptist today ( Free will , primitive , southern , reformed , etc. ) are not the same as they were when they were founded because they have been changed and influenced by society ? Almost no women worked outside the home . No electricity . Baptist women kept their head covered .No beauty salons . No TV ( it didn't exist ) ... Unless in a city , most were poor and worked sunup to sundown ..no entertainments unless (home grown) when survival was not pressing . Men were more sober when death was always knocking . Salvation was not a light discussion .
In looking through the scriptures and early christian literature , it seems that being a pastor was often a call to martyrdom and certainly no rest . Their job as I understand it was for the perfecting of the saints. They lived in a close community and were to consider each other family . It seems the role of pastor has also chanegd into one who preaches on Sundays , Sunday nights and Wednesdays nights ...also revivals and VBS. Visits the sick , does weddings and funerals and much administration .
Paul said let the prophets speak two and three . If the second have a revelation , let the first sit down and let the second speak and then let the third judge . Else where Paul said I would that you would all prophesy .It seems all the early Christians were expected to have a relationship with God rather than hiring someone to have the relationship and bring them the word of God . If we do not have the word of God / Christ abiding in us ..there is a problem . If we do not love the Word of God , there is a problem . I wonder if the problem lies in the form . 2nd timothy , :3.

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Brother ..you may appreciate this as a former Baptist pastor ..maybe not ..I am just trying for truth. Would you say that the Baptist today ( Free will , primitive , southern , reformed , etc. ) are not the same as they were when they were founded because they have been changed and influenced by society ? Almost no women worked outside the home . No electricity . Baptist women kept their head covered .No beauty salons . No TV ( it didn't exist ) ... Unless in a city , most were poor and worked sunup to sundown ..no entertainments unless (home grown) when survival was not pressing . Men were more sober when death was always knocking . Salvation was not a light discussion .
In looking through the scriptures and early christian literature , it seems that being a pastor was often a call to martyrdom and certainly no rest . Their job as I understand it was for the perfecting of the saints. They lived in a close community and were to consider each other family . It seems the role of pastor has also chanegd into one who preaches on Sundays , Sunday nights and Wednesdays nights ...also revivals and VBS. Visits the sick , does weddings and funerals and much administration .
Paul said let the prophets speak two and three . If the second have a revelation , let the first sit down and let the second speak and then let the third judge . Else where Paul said I would that you would all prophesy .It seems all the early Christians were expected to have a relationship with God rather than hiring someone to have the relationship and bring them the word of God . If we do not have the word of God / Christ abiding in us ..there is a problem . If we do not love the Word of God , there is a problem . I wonder if the problem lies in the form . 2nd timothy , :3.

I'm not sure of your end point. However, I think that we have a bit of a tendency to look back and celebrate the past more than it deserves. Each generation tends to do so. We look back and say, "you're not as holy has your fathers." While this can be true, it is not necessarily true. I used to hold to that position and I joined the conservative Mennonites. I found that they were just as human as the Baptists, Methodists, etc. Where I will agree is that God wants us to abide in Him. Honestly, I believe that Protestants have lost this ability because they reject the traditions of the church and thus reject scripture because they take it from the context from which it was given. For me the Orthodox church met my needs to follow Christ.

Upvote 0

Myychael

Supporter
Dec 14, 2010
✟79,084.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I’m really sorry to hear the former part :( your kinda on the right track our beliefs or roots go farther than Reformation time our beliefs precede the actual title or name Bptist
They are Protestant for certain, but not because they are not Catholic. Like other Protestants, Baptists adhere to the key principles of the Reformation--Sola Scriptura, Sola Fide, Sola Gratia, the priesthood of all believers, and two sacraments of the Gospel (although Baptists prefer the word ordinances).
If you took the Baptist beliefs out of most reformed Protestant Churches you would see Catholic.
If I wanted to no about the Anglicans I would visit the Anglican Church website like I did the Lutherans.
You will like this some Baptist Pastors adhere to Protestant as Baptist or being Protestant.I have never
Read that Baptist believe they are the one true Church I have read some thoughts as they believed they were true to the Bible than most are.The truth of the matter is everyone on CF thinks or should
Be looking elsewhere if they are not in a Bible believing Church you see neither you or I me without
A Degree you with one will Judge anyone here it will not be Anglican,Lutheran,Presbyterian,Baptist,
Word of Faith ECT ECT when the JESUS sits to JUDGE.I have trouble with the Baptists to were in perilous times.we might not agree on some things but we can agree on Christ is LORD right

Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Ha
I'm not sure of your end point. However, I think that we have a bit of a tendency to look back and celebrate the past more than it deserves. Each generation tends to do so. We look back and say, "you're not as holy has your fathers." While this can be true, it is not necessarily true. I used to hold to that position and I joined the conservative Mennonites. I found that they were just as human as the Baptists, Methodists, etc. Where I will agree is that God wants us to abide in Him. Honestly, I believe that Protestants have lost this ability because they reject the traditions of the church and thus reject scripture because they take it from the context from which it was given. For me the Orthodox church met my needs to follow Christ.
Hi Brother ..that it so unusual that you were with the conservative Mennonites . I fellowshipped with former amish who were regenerated ...closer to mennonite but a bit more conservative .( I am sure you are aware that amish broke away from mennonites who they thought were getting too worldly. Anyway , I see the tendancy to think that the group to whom we belong is right and others are " Worldly - Legalistic - Heretics - etc - " ..I have seen conservative women wearing a covering but it is by tradition and they may not be any more submitted to christ than others ...Not for me to say but I know that can be the case ... I am concearned that we have taught women that they have to be attractive ..that is not fair nor should we care what anyone looks like ..inner beauty through Jesus Christ is available to anyone .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Polar Bear Quest

Apr 26, 2017
Washington
✟15,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Personally, I'm not a Catholic and for me I see it as God trying to get you away from the Catholic church. I know you may love Catholicism but it has a history that is evil and wicked. The Catholic church killed many Christians in an attempt to prevent the spread of the gospel. The Pope even said one does not need to have a personal relationship with God outside of the church.

I can sense on conflicting emotions just by reading your post, but this is the time I feel you need to hunker down and simply pray and read your bible and form a true personal relationship with Jesus. If he wants you in the Catholic church you will be thrust back into it. If he wants you out he will guide you away from it.

All that being said, I do suggest researching the history of the Catholic church. I think you'll find it's been filled with evil and wickedness. There are many videos exposing the Pope and Catholicism and especially look into the Jesuits. I think you'll find they have their ways deep in wicked arts.

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Know what you believe and why you believe it
Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello all. I'm new to this forum and joined so I can perhaps get some help. All my life I've been a practicing Catholic and was brought up in the faith by my mother. A year ago my dad who never attended church suddenly "found Jesus" after attending a service at his friend's Baptist church. So now my dad asks me to come along so I agree so as not to start an argument (in my house we usually do as dad asks). I'm now caught in a very strange position. I've been a Catholic all my life and suddenly my dad wants us to go to the Baptist church with him every Sunday. I've told him im Catholic but he hesitates saying "it's about JESUS not Catholic or Baptist". I haven't been going to my Catholic church weekly for a year now and I'm so confused and sacred of losing my Catholic faith. Ive made friends at the Baptist church but I'm not willing to let go of my Catholicism and Baptist just isn't for me. My dad gets mad when I try to let him down easily and tell him how I really feel and it usually starts a fight. What should I do? How can I get back to the Catholic Church which is like a home away from home for me without triggering my dad?
Sorry, you're in that position. I can relate to your situation. Something that has always sadden me. Is, how can people be so mean to each other, especially talking about God. I guess that Justs shows how depraved we really are. Why can people be loving, caring, patient, when listening to others. Even when they are from another religion or when they are mean, hurtful, and disrespectful.

We need to walk in godliness, we need to pray and love one another. Sorry, I am just sharing with you, not judging anyone.

My advise is this:
1) Bible says to honor your parents.

2) Talk with the Pastor at the Baptist church and let him/her know of your situation. So they can help, since your Dad will not listen.

3) Support your Father, then go to a late service at the Catholic church. Ask the Priest at your church for guidance.

I do not want to cause any separation between you guys. Approach this with love and warmth. With understanding, because God knows the heart.

BTW, how old are You?

Upvote 0

TerryWoodenpic

Nov 23, 2017
Oldham
✟39,925.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
In Catholicism, I don't know if a person can take communion if he's actually joined a Protestant church.
Attending a church is not the same as Joining a church.

You can be a lapse Catholic, but you are always a catholic. Baptism can not be undone or over written.
I would find a way to have a word with your local catholic Priest. he will give you help, and good advice.
He will have met this situation before, you are not alone.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Whatever you feel compelled to do because of your father is not your responsibility because legally you are a minor, you are not doing it without coercion. Though it would be less than ideal, nobody can force you to be a martyr. It is safe to comply with his wishes, as long as you realize your father has no right to bind your conscience and compel you to believe Baptist doctrines.

On the other hand, if you desire to witness for your faith and oppose your father, then you are free to do that as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟767,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I find it interesting how we have created 5 pages of replies - the OP has made exactly 1 post. Lots of opinions here and lots of different point of view.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,632.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I find it interesting how we have created 5 pages of replies - the OP has made exactly 1 post. Lots of opinions here and lots of different point of view.
So true. All because a Baptist wants to force a Catholic to be Baptist. I think it's time to start wrapping this thread up and be done with it. Says one of the guilty parties.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Attending a church is not the same as Joining a church.

You can be a lapse Catholic, but you are always a catholic. Baptism can not be undone or over written.
I would find a way to have a word with your local catholic Priest. he will give you help, and good advice.
He will have met this situation before, you are not alone.

Yeah, but the issue is that Baptists tend to be anti-Catholic. It's not simply a matter of visiting another church, it's a matter of subjecting yourself potentially to brainwashing that will tell you how every other way to be a Christian is wrong, that your "wet-baby baptism" is worthless, how Catholics worship Mary, etc. If you intend to stay Catholic, that's going to be emotionally difficult to deal with.

Upvote 0

Benaiahian Monk

Benaiah “ the Lord builds” 2 Samuel 23:20
Dec 14, 2017
Tappahannock
✟17,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello all. I'm new to this forum and joined so I can perhaps get some help. All my life I've been a practicing Catholic and was brought up in the faith by my mother. A year ago my dad who never attended church suddenly "found Jesus" after attending a service at his friend's Baptist church. So now my dad asks me to come along so I agree so as not to start an argument (in my house we usually do as dad asks). I'm now caught in a very strange position. I've been a Catholic all my life and suddenly my dad wants us to go to the Baptist church with him every Sunday. I've told him im Catholic but he hesitates saying "it's about JESUS not Catholic or Baptist". I haven't been going to my Catholic church weekly for a year now and I'm so confused and sacred of losing my Catholic faith. Ive made friends at the Baptist church but I'm not willing to let go of my Catholicism and Baptist just isn't for me. My dad gets mad when I try to let him down easily and tell him how I really feel and it usually starts a fight. What should I do? How can I get back to the Catholic Church which is like a home away from home for me without triggering my dad?
I’ve had the same situation growing up . Time is the issue . If Catholicism is yours then hold it. Just because time goes by you won’t lose it.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
red-strawberry-hat-wool-beret-girls-winter-wear20667.jpg

MOD HAT ON
This thread has had a clean.
Please review the rules about flaming to avoid further confusion:
Flaming and Goading
  • Please treat all members with respect and courtesy through civil dialogue.​
  • Do not personally attack (insult, belittle, mock, ridicule) other members or groups of members on CF. Address only the content of the post and not the poster.​
  • Stating or implying that another Christian member, or group of members, are not Christian is not allowed.​
  • If you are flamed, do not respond in-kind. Alert staff to the situation by utilizing the report button.​
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0