Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello all. I'm new to this forum and joined so I can perhaps get some help. All my life I've been a practicing Catholic and was brought up in the faith by my mother. A year ago my dad who never attended church suddenly "found Jesus" after attending a service at his friend's Baptist church. So now my dad asks me to come along so I agree so as not to start an argument (in my house we usually do as dad asks). I'm now caught in a very strange position. I've been a Catholic all my life and suddenly my dad wants us to go to the Baptist church with him every Sunday. I've told him im Catholic but he hesitates saying "it's about JESUS not Catholic or Baptist". I haven't been going to my Catholic church weekly for a year now and I'm so confused and sacred of losing my Catholic faith. Ive made friends at the Baptist church but I'm not willing to let go of my Catholicism and Baptist just isn't for me. My dad gets mad when I try to let him down easily and tell him how I really feel and it usually starts a fight. What should I do? How can I get back to the Catholic Church which is like a home away from home for me without triggering my dad?

Time to move out of the house and attend any church you wish.
That's my final answer.

• Agree
Reactions: Myychael
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I haven't been going to my Catholic church weekly for a year now and I'm so confused and sacred of losing my Catholic faith.
Setting aside the issue of your father for a moment, what keeps you from attending your Catholic church? Or have I misunderstood -- is it your father's insistence on the family attending the Baptist church that keeps you from your own church?

Can you attend both places? Many Catholic parishes have multiple services on weekends, often including a Saturday evening Mass. Could you attend a Saturday evening or early Sunday morning service at your Catholic church, then go to the Baptist church with your dad? Husbands and wives who come from different denominations sometimes work out arrangements like this, assuming they respect each other's religious traditions.

Upvote 0

Arthur B Via

Art
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2016
✟86,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Hello all. I'm new to this forum and joined so I can perhaps get some help. All my life I've been a practicing Catholic and was brought up in the faith by my mother. A year ago my dad who never attended church suddenly "found Jesus" after attending a service at his friend's Baptist church. So now my dad asks me to come along so I agree so as not to start an argument (in my house we usually do as dad asks). I'm now caught in a very strange position. I've been a Catholic all my life and suddenly my dad wants us to go to the Baptist church with him every Sunday. I've told him im Catholic but he hesitates saying "it's about JESUS not Catholic or Baptist". I haven't been going to my Catholic church weekly for a year now and I'm so confused and sacred of losing my Catholic faith. Ive made friends at the Baptist church but I'm not willing to let go of my Catholicism and Baptist just isn't for me. My dad gets mad when I try to let him down easily and tell him how I really feel and it usually starts a fight. What should I do? How can I get back to the Catholic Church which is like a home away from home for me without triggering my dad?
. Although there's only ONE God, ONE Savior, ONE world, and ONE people, there are over 42000. different Christian denominations my friend. I had to check this several times as it just does not seem possible, but it's true. If I may, find YOUR Church that stays in the Word of God stay in God's Word yourself, and get as close to Jesus as humanly possible. God Bless you friend...

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
If I were you I would start asking myself some tough questions. I see that your Catholic faith is important to you, but why, and where is your relationship with Jesus being taken into consideration?

I sincerely believe that your father is doing the wrong thing forcing you to go to a Baptist church like that, and he shouldn't decide this for you. But shouldn't Jesus? Your father is right, it's about Him! This seems to be a question about denomination and doctrine in your mind, and perhaps tradition and familiarity, but where are you seeking the heart of God? I would suggest going to God about this and pray for His direct leading, and then search His Word.

Upvote 0

MyGivenNameIsKeith

Oct 16, 2017
xcxb xcvb n bv b
✟33,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
hi there my friend

there is a lot of good advice here but if you would like to talk to Catholics about this maybe start a thread in the OBOB forum: One Bread, One Body - Catholic

God Bless you

praying for you
considering this is of Baptist and Catholic, one doesn't find unity in separation. Seeking Catholics only would only reinforce a "Catholic only" ideology which is the very thing she is faced with at the moment. Have you ever stopped to ponder whether it was the Lord's doing that she wound up going to a Baptist church? Seeing as it was, the wider scope of the lens is needed for proper discernment. We are all free to make our own choice. Seeing as how the dad is excited about the Lord, to assume to be selfish and draw away from that is not godly. Maybe its wise to keep going with your dad of your own will. Nobody forces you to go. God is asking you to step out of your comfort zone.

Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Here is the solution to your dilemma. Ask your father to watch a YouTube video like the one posted below on how evangelical Calvinists and other Protestants find Jesus and get gloriously saved through conversion to Roman Catholicism. Peter Kreeft's testimony posted below reflects the conversion of a famed Christian ethics scholar to Catholicism.

youtube conversion from Protestant to Catholic - Bing video

When we Protestant evangelicals pontificate our anti-Catholic bias, we sadly forget that nothing is worse than Catholicism at its worst, but nothing is better than Catholic spirituality at its best.

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm not sure about how to deal with your dad, but as you pointed out denominational differences notwithstanding, you're in Christ and a Christian. Give your dad some time to figure this out. God bless :).

Upvote 0

DominicBaptiste

Oct 16, 2017
North Alabama
✟21,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
To me, you don't really sound as confused about your faith as you sound confused about where to go to worship and with who. The Roman Catholic Church acknowledges baptist communities, so you don't have to leave Catholicism to go to a baptist church. You could go to church with your dad and also receive mass in a Catholic Church on a less frequent basis. The Mass is actually one of the main things that you will be missing in the baptist church because in the Catholic Church, you are literally receiving Christ in the Eucharist. Having said that, your dad is probably the next best thing to Jesus as far as communion goes, so being with him might be very important, so I would suggest to honor both your Catholic faith and go to church with your dad. You don't really have to choose one or the other. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just skimmed through the comments, so I don't know if this has been brought up yet. Having been a Baptist pastor, I feel quite sure that your father's church would not consider you a Christian (if they are traditional Baptist in any sense of the word). He would see your attendance at Mass as very evil. Evangelicals have one underlying motive behind anything they do, conversion of non-Evangelicals. They are masters at their craft. So, be careful.
Perhaps you could go to Mass occasionally through the week or Saturday? Talk to your priest via email if necessary. Either way, get prepared, they will soon start to try to convert you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I haven't been going to my Catholic church weekly for a year now and I'm so confused and sacred of losing my Catholic faith.... What should I do?...
Avail yourself of the Sacrament of Reconciliation and Penance, and return to regular attendance at Mass. I also suggest time in Eucharistic adoration.

How can I get back to the Catholic Church which is like a home away from home for me without triggering my dad?
That might not be possible, but you mustn't let fear of conflict interfere with your relationship with God.

Upvote 0

CoolDude68

Site Supporter
May 29, 2013
Budapest
✟127,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Church" is where you can be with God. It doesn't matter what type of building it is, or what label is put on the denomination. People get too caught up in that. Church is where you're home is that brings you personally to God. In can be in a closet, a cave, around a fire pit, etc. God just wants to have a relationship with us, the rest really doesn't matter. I would say your home is where you can sense His presence, period. If your earthly father doesn't agree to that then that's really not your problem. If he is a Godly man than I honestly don't see how that would cause a fight. That sounds ridiculous to me. If you kindly say that you prefer a certain denomination over another then what's it matter? What matters is God and where you feel most comfortable. This should not even be an argument. I have friends who are from varied denominations and I would never tell them that they must attend my church. Doesn't work that way. If it did, God would have given us specific commands that we must all be this, or that. No, He just wants us, period.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Getting back to the Original Post, the author was faced with a problem. His father has converted to the Baptist church and wants his son to accompany him. The son, a non-practicing Catholic who, however, doesn't want to abandon his chosen church, would like to find a way to finesse this issue and keep harmony between himself and his father.

To suggest that either one of them ought to change churches isn't going to do our friend and inquirer any good.

• Agree
Reactions: CoolDude68
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Let go of your need to please Dad, since he obviously doesn't respect your faith. Be glad that your Dad found Jesus and ask that he respect where you have Jesus.

He says that it isn't about Catholic or Baptist so invite him to attend Mass with you and see how he responds. If he refuses, then he is being dishonest with you or himself.

Jesus is spiritual anywhere where believers gather in his name but he is there in body and blood through the Churches which believe in the "Real Presence" of the Eucharist.

I pray that you and your Dad can find peace in this matter and that finds respect for your faith.

God Bless

Upvote 0

Guide To The Bible

Guide To The Bible
Jan 23, 2017
Britain
✟31,977.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Simple. Go to both. Either the morning or evening service at either one or alternate weeks. Tell your Dad that this is what you'll be trying till God helps you to choose which one. Above all don't argue, be the bigger person, just listen to whatever your Dad says and if you feel like you being pressured in to disagreeing about anything just tell him; "Ahhr Dad I love you" or something similar and smile. Keep repeating all of this and eventually you'll see what God does. Put your trust in God to help you, He will.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Myychael

Site Supporter
Dec 14, 2010
✟79,084.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
In Catholicism, I don't know if a person can take communion if he's actually joined a Protestant church.
Baptist aren’t Protestant as I see it from my research please do a little on your own Baptist have never been part of RCC and have also faced persecution from certain Protestants Denominations from the Baptist History I have read and is available on the WWW thanks

Upvote 0

Myychael

Site Supporter
Dec 14, 2010
✟79,084.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No, but if you are referring to the dad, he probably wouldn't value the Catholic Eucharist anyway and, as a Baptist, he is not accustomed to receiving Communion very often. He could of course attend, which I think is what Soyeong had in mind.
Most Baptist Communion once a month but not all FYI

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Baptist aren’t Protestant as I see it from my research please do a little on your own Baptist have never been part of RCC and have also faced persecution from certain Protestants Denominations from the Baptist History I have read and is available on the WWW thanks
I see Baptist as Protestant in the sense of being not-Catholic. Some Baptist don't like the label, but their church came out of the Protestant reformation.

• Agree
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm a former Baptist pastor...

I'm sorry to disappoint you but all Baptists have a lineage that traces back to the Reformation. There were some histories that floated around that tried to give Baptists a traceable lineage back to the early church. These were not accurate. Baptists, depending on the flavor, come directly from the Reformation or from the Anabaptists, who were reformers themselves. I believe that bad history was an attempt to make Baptists the "one true church."

Most Baptist Communion once a month but not all FYI

No they don't. Most Baptists commune quarterly or semi-annual. There are some that do commune monthly and at least one local church that I know of communes weekly, but it is taking a strong Reformed line.

Upvote 0